NEW MAP: DM-WaterTreatment1565

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
browndl
Skilled

NEW MAP: DM-WaterTreatment1565

Post by browndl »

EDIT: 5/8/2024
As much as I dislike doing, I am releasing a version 2 of this map. Due to an unknown bsp error (see screen capture below). Also, to answer the request for exit from the large pool. And to replace block all actors on top of the dam that denied access to the very top with bsp brush work. I apologize for the hassle.
Blocking access to very top
Blocking access to very top
Exit platforms from pool
Exit platforms from pool
Unknown bsp error
Unknown bsp error
Map download.
https://www.ut99maps.net/maps/sniper/DM ... 565_V2.zip

END EDIT
==========================================================================================================================================
Just finished a new map, Beta testers said it was good to go, so here it is.
It is a large area, mostly outdoors, but it has a few interior areas.
Bot pathed for much (not all), but much of the map.
I left a few high areas alone so people could snipe offline.

https://www.ut99maps.net/maps/sniper/DM ... nt1565.zip
ScreenShot.jpg
DSWT6.jpg
DSWT5.jpg
DSWT4.jpg
DSWT3.jpg
DSWT2.jpg
DSWT1.jpg
Last edited by browndl on Thu May 09, 2024 3:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
UT99 DM-EchoCanyons:DM-WaterTreatment1565:DM-DSKilnWorks3993:DM-DSWashNDry:DM-DSRedDawn:DM-DSBacktoSchool:DM-DSTowerBridge:DM-DSDeadeyeCanyon:DM-DSSectionn8Refinery:DM-DeckardsRevenge:DM-DSStudio:DM-SniperTown:DM-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-Wastelands:DM-TurboGen23:DM-LongForgotten:DOM-Dockside:CTF-enMakhana:CTF-UrbanSniper:CTF-CanyonWars:CTF-DSTowerBridge Unreal Badlands CiderTown UT99 Infiltration DM-INF-MagnumDocksDeluxe:DM-INF-MagnumDocks2:DM-INF-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-INF-CityStorageLotA][:DM-INF-ColumbianDrugLord:EAS-INF-DS-RailBridge:DM-INF-ACityBlock:CTF-INF-SavageKillersHeadQuarters:CTF-INF-Capital:CTF-INF-ComplexB UT2003/04 DM-PineValley:DM-Koltoff:CTF-PawnsKeep:CTF-Ardimus Rainbow Six RavenShield AlleyStrike
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: NEW MAP: DM-WaterTreatment1565

Post by EvilGrins »

It is very large and the bots do seem to go most places, above and below.

I like it.
Attachments
Shot0191.png
Shot0181.png
Shot0164.png
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
UTPe
Masterful
Personal rank: Dude

Post by UTPe »

nice work ! the "man of the path" strikes again ! :highfive:
as usual, Dark Sniper explores new environments and landscapes and let us play sniper mod on different geometries: this time Dark Sniper offers a wide open map with industrial style.
at first sight, by looking at the images, I like the overall geometry and the structure of the pipelines.
map is really open and probably not suitable for hiding players, I'm expecting hard battles and many (many) frags.

cheers,
Pietro
Personal map database: http://www.ut99maps.net

"These are the days that we will return to one day in the future only in memories." (The Midnight)
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

As usual an interesting concept well executed - a 'multi-purpose' map which can be played in a variety of game styles with opportunities for short, medium and long range combat. Great design and use of textures - a good variety of environmental sounds - all combine to create, once again, a unique 'space' with a distinct atmosphere. Easy to move around with a good translocator and more than enough places to 'hide' and snipe (which I like to do). A map that may, at first glance, appear to rather too open but, when 'in it', one that contains a nice mix of fairly enclosed building/structure groups and wider, more open vistas plus, of course, opportunities to get high up and command broader sweeps of the 'space'. So another nice and welcome addition to our playlist of maps :gj:

Simply out of curiosity
1) is there any significance in the '1565'?
2) was the layout/design inspired by an actual water treatment or similar complex?
browndl
Skilled

Post by browndl »

OjitroC wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 2:12 pm Simply out of curiosity
1) is there any significance in the '1565'?
2) was the layout/design inspired by an actual water treatment or similar complex?
1. No not really, just attempting to avoid naming similarities.
2. I did look at some references, but I did not base the design on any specific place.
Thanks for asking.

Really glad you like the map.
UT99 DM-EchoCanyons:DM-WaterTreatment1565:DM-DSKilnWorks3993:DM-DSWashNDry:DM-DSRedDawn:DM-DSBacktoSchool:DM-DSTowerBridge:DM-DSDeadeyeCanyon:DM-DSSectionn8Refinery:DM-DeckardsRevenge:DM-DSStudio:DM-SniperTown:DM-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-Wastelands:DM-TurboGen23:DM-LongForgotten:DOM-Dockside:CTF-enMakhana:CTF-UrbanSniper:CTF-CanyonWars:CTF-DSTowerBridge Unreal Badlands CiderTown UT99 Infiltration DM-INF-MagnumDocksDeluxe:DM-INF-MagnumDocks2:DM-INF-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-INF-CityStorageLotA][:DM-INF-ColumbianDrugLord:EAS-INF-DS-RailBridge:DM-INF-ACityBlock:CTF-INF-SavageKillersHeadQuarters:CTF-INF-Capital:CTF-INF-ComplexB UT2003/04 DM-PineValley:DM-Koltoff:CTF-PawnsKeep:CTF-Ardimus Rainbow Six RavenShield AlleyStrike
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Really nice one, only bit was that it could use either a ramp to escape the water pool, or make it cause damage, right now once you (not too bad, hara-kiri time) or a bot (uh-oh) falls in they are a bit stuck in there.

Definetly keeping this one :gj:
browndl
Skilled

Post by browndl »

UnrealGGecko wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 4:50 pm Really nice one, only bit was that it could use either a ramp to escape the water pool, or make it cause damage, right now once you (not too bad, hara-kiri time) or a bot (uh-oh) falls in they are a bit stuck in there.

I apologize. I am so used to playing with translocator activated that I forget others do not.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

browndl wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 8:13 pm
UnrealGGecko wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 4:50 pm Really nice one, only bit was that it could use either a ramp to escape the water pool, or make it cause damage, right now once you (not too bad, hara-kiri time) or a bot (uh-oh) falls in they are a bit stuck in there.

I apologize. I am so used to playing with translocator activated that I forget others do not.
It's not too much of a problem, I normally play with translocator too just forgot to turn it back on for some reason. No bots actually fell in there during my test run.

Also funny that that pool does 0 damage, but I insta-drown if my pinky toe touches the dam's falling water :loool:
browndl
Skilled

Post by browndl »

UnrealGGecko wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 1:17 pm Also funny that that pool does 0 damage, but I insta-drown if my pinky toe touches the dam's falling water :loool:
There is a practical reason: those angles in that spot make you "stuck" if you go there, so I made it kill the player. But I did try to approach it from some sort of realistic perspective. I figured if you were to fall into those short slues you would probably get sucked under and die, but the pond would probably be swimmable. The small treatment ponds hurt because they are "dirty". At least that was my logic.

I only worked on this for 3.5 days, maybe I rushed in releasing it, I don't know. I am just hopeful that some find enjoyment in it.
I was able to play it on a couple of servers and it seemed to present a good game.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

browndl wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 1:51 pm There is a practical reason: those angles in that spot make you "stuck" if you go there, so I made it kill the player. But I did try to approach it from some sort of realistic perspective. I figured if you were to fall into those short slues you would probably get sucked under and die, but the pond would probably be swimmable.
I've been following the discussion here and then looked again in detail at those issues in the Editor - before I came back and read your post I concluded that the top areas where the water was flowing very fast and it was turbulent would probably be areas where someone could, and probably would, drown. The large rectangular pond is calm and not fast flowing so one could survive if one fell in. So I certainly agree with the logic.
browndl wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 1:51 pm The small treatment ponds hurt because they are "dirty". At least that was my logic.
When I first played the map, I fell in one of the small ponds and quickly took damage - translocated out OK. I thought then that those 2 ponds were probably dirty water, possibly with a high level of chlorine. So again the logic seem fine to me.
browndl wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 1:51 pm I only worked on this for 3.5 days, maybe I rushed in releasing it, I don't know. I am just hopeful that some find enjoyment in it.
I was able to play it on a couple of servers and it seemed to present a good game.
I don't think it is rushed - everything seems pretty realistic to me and good fun.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Hi all... Nice piece - once again, good things are good...
I turned a copy of this into a "tiny" version (with all required adjusting)... Explanations why I went for shrinking at 25% ?
- Because it's nice;
- Because Bot is more alert in ranges of UE1 and it's a DeathMatch not just singing and killing from long range;
- Because PulseGun is pretty much limited - that's not a sniping gun - neither BioRifle...;
- Replacing Trigger that was constantly hit Dispatcher with a TimedTrigger - because as far as I know Smokes are working only once;
- Switching all related damaging triggers to "TT_PawnProximity".

Results from playing with Bots - winning and losing depending on "who" is/are being the opponent/s - XAN was showing who is the Boss...
And then... this is a real "treatment"... play well or... you'll be defeated.
Hitman
Adept

Post by Hitman »

Look and works great, added it to my servers :gj:
jmartin
Skilled

Post by jmartin »

Good work, as always. Nice looking map with a very novel theme. :tu:
browndl
Skilled

Post by browndl »

I will take a moment to say "Thank you", to everyone who has commented. The comments are appreciated. They have been quite informative, constructive, and encouraging. It is nice to hear feedback after working on a map and releasing it to the public.
MEAT
Adept
Personal rank: better then you...

Post by MEAT »

Great sniper/redeemer map.
Hope to add it to my redeemer server.