Screenshots for fun

Discussions about UT99
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Re: Screenshots for fun

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Almost anything made by Robert Wey is a castle: DM-Falkenstein, DM-Konosus][, DM-FourthOrder etc.
I also recommend DM-Abandondedv1final, DM-Beholden, maps with the DMUT prefix.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Ah, Falkenstien. What a stunning building.
It was the first map to really push my old PC. (I had to play it at 640x480 16bit !)

Maybe it's due for a make-over ?

If anyone wants to make a cool-castles list with a screen-shot for each map at "Your Unreal", feel free.
You can then link each one to a gallery of further shots if you need.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Don't mess with Lara!
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
rizbef
Experienced
Personal rank: castle maps hoarder

Post by rizbef »

Warning: Long post is Long and graphic-heavy. Since we can't double post I hope this extra long post is ok...
Dr.Flay wrote:Ah, Falkenstien. What a stunning building.
It was the first map to really push my old PC. (I had to play it at 640x480 16bit !)

Maybe it's due for a make-over ?

If anyone wants to make a cool-castles list with a screen-shot for each map at "Your Unreal", feel free.
You can then link each one to a gallery of further shots if you need.
:shock: That would be AWESOME.... If no one else does it, when I have more time and more maps, I would love to do that :D For now though, I'll just post a few screenshots here of my growing collection.
DeathoX 8 wrote: If you're looking for castle maps, I recommend DM-Falkenstein, DM-Dominis, DM-Vocant][ and DM-LexmarkCastle. Falkenstein is the only true castle map out of these four, Lexmark castle is actually quite small, Dominis and Vocant][ aren't true castles but they come quite close and IMO they are both fun and nice looking.
DM-Keep3 is a castle map too, but I don't like it much (cramped!).

You probably have most of these maps already but better safe than sorry ;)
I did not have Dominis or Vocant! :tu: Thanks for sharing!! I have included those two in the screenshots below.
GEx wrote:Almost anything made by Robert Wey is a castle: DM-Falkenstein, DM-Konosus][, DM-FourthOrder etc.
Haha Wey is my God.... Falkenstein is my top favorite map, with Konosus and FourthOrder close behind. I also have Beholden, but I do not have Abandoned! *runs off to download*

Ok so here are more screenshots from my castle/architecture-hoarding glory... I think most of you are familiar with these maps, and I believe... a few of you have actually MADE some these :wink:

So previously I posted HagmanCastle, a map I found while hunting for new castle maps. But first, these are the castle/architecture maps I already had:

FALKENSTEIN!!!!!! Ah my favorite map of all... even as a kid! I would ask my dad to play this map every time I watched him play UT. He would humor me, even though he must have played it a thousand times. This is also the map I played when learning how to play UT for the first time. Unfortunately, as you might be able to notice in the image, Falkenstein and my laptop clash... My computer crashes when met with maps with heavy textures or action. Still my favorite map though. The rest of the maps are in no order of preference,

DM-Bastion. A decent-sized castle map. Perhaps not the flashiest, but still cool in terms of... castle-ness. That is not a word :lol:

DM-UNLD-Casa_Loma! Looks nothing like the real Casa Loma (which I have been to). However, this map is still awesome. There are a lot of cool rooms and hidden messages! I haven't been able to figure out of these messages about "...more spirits to awaken" actually do anything. No matter how much I play, I can't seem to find them all.

I haven't gotten a checkmate yet either! But I generally suck at chess anyway...

DM-CTC-DeadlyWorship! Not a castle, but a fine piece of architectural map! The details...! I should take more screenshots of the outlying buildings.

DM-UNDL-Epitaph. This map is basically a mini village. You can go inside buildings, roam the streets, swim, climb on the roof... Pretty neat.

DM-FourthOrder. Another fantastic map by Robert Wey. Not nearly as big as Falkenstein, but there's a good chunk of castle I didn't screenshot, on the inside.

DM-UNLD-GothicRooftop. Hmm, I think most of the maps with UNLD I have made this post. I didn't take a good screenshot of the architecture, but here are a few tricks! Unfortunately the bots never go up into the tower... and I'm lucky if one of them falls into the pit of spikes.

DM-Konosus][. Robert Wey strikes again! More great architecture buildings... next to a mountain side with a tunnel! Another favorite map I watched my dad play as a kid.

DM-LexmarkCastle_U. The castle may be small but the actual map is fairly large. Well... to me haha.

DM-Mausoleum. Ok so this one isn't too architectural (at least not in the picture...) but I liked the screenshot... :P

DM-UNDL-Nocturnal. I think I may have downloaded all of these UNDL maps as a big pack... I can't remember. This map is sort of small in comparison to the others listed, and you can run in one big never-ending loop around the map.

DM-Rhine. Not a castle, but this map has an ancient ruins look to it, which falls into my architecture category.

DM-AYetiIceCastle][. A weird sort of castle, another one of those maps I "inherited" from my dad (I use inherited because I basically copied a bunch of his files to my computer). I always thought the spaceship was cool, but I wish there was something inside it... You can 'beam up' into it, but no one is inside.

And now onto the new maps I found recently, including those that DeathoX 8 told me about.

DM-Blast Castle. The castle is surprisingly a bit bigger than it looks, and the grounds are quite spacious too. (sounds like a vacation spot...)

DM-SOT-DanesCastle. You can kind-of tell from the pictures... it's a mini-me castle map. It takes a really long time to walk from one place to another, and the lighting is very dark on my screen. (I have modified the screenshots to increase brightness)

DM-FragginsteinCastle. A nice find! A decent-sized quality castle. Not too huge that I have to spend a long time hunting campers, but still plenty of castle to satisfy me. I did get lost the first time I played though :lol:

DM-CastleFrankenstein. It doesn't have a castle layout... but the architecture makes it worthy of this post I think. This picture is from the chapel section. The top room is the scientist's lair...!

DM-][iAs][Castle. The first image is from a cave where a Nali lives... I successfully killed him and his demon fish in one go. There are also two-legged deer running around the level you can kill, but they were so cute I couldn't kill them....lol. In the second picture, I'm on the roof. There's this cool portal-looking-thing in the distance which unfortunately does nothing... I was expecting it to vaporize me or something.

DM-KberryCastle. Kberry is short for Kingsberry. Not the best castle map, but again here are the robots that do nothing... I was hoping they would come to life and attack...

DM-Vocant][. Nice map, thanks for pointing me to this one!

And finally...

DM-Dominis! Fantastic map! :tu: I love all of the levels and the towers... I do have a question though. The bottom level has two monsters. One of the bots fell and was trapped, but the monster didn't attack him :|

The monster kept coming to life, fading, and repeat. Why didn't it attack him? I had to snipe from an odd angle, though I suppose I could have translocated myself down there. I wanted to see the monster kill him :loool:

Ok that's it.... for now.... :oops:
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Thank you for sharing...
The robots are just decoration meshes... you can find the mesh in UEd in the actor browser under deco.
The Queen Monster in DM-Dominis is hunting human players only in a normal DM match. I played a MH version where the queen and hundreds of pupae where down there ...very tough fight.
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

Nice post, and good notes on each map :tu:
(The Queen Alien has the ability to teleport. That is why she fades in and out.)

I notice Ms Croft has made a bit of a come-back (thanks Lilly)

If you are having issues with using a lap-top for UT, make sure you are using the new renderers.
If it has an intel GFX chip, then use the D3D9 or 10 renderers.
Also you should adjust the renderer settings to suit your spec.

If you have nVidia or ATI, and the issue of not being able to update your GFX drivers with the generic updates, then you can patch the current driver install to recognise your laptop.
See my guide to windows tweaks in the tutorials section, for the patch tools and other software to get control of your laptop.
http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3750
...Just had a look. I'm going to add another tool for all you people suffering with a laptop, that gives you much more hardware control.

Also if you have a CRT monitor available, plug that in. You can run it at higher speeds than an LCD, and most laptops are faster at games this way.
rizbef
Experienced

Post by rizbef »

papercoffee wrote:Thank you for sharing...
The robots are just decoration meshes... you can find the mesh in UEd in the actor browser under deco.
The Queen Monster in DM-Dominis is hunting human players only in a normal DM match. I played a MH version where the queen and hundreds of pupae where down there ...very tough fight.
Ah ok, no wonder the bot survived down there for so long, thanks for explaining!
Dr.Flay wrote:Nice post, and good notes on each map :tu:
(The Queen Alien has the ability to teleport. That is why she fades in and out.)

I notice Ms Croft has made a bit of a come-back (thanks Lilly)
The monster can teleport? Hmmm... as in, she will teleport closer to where you are? In the HagmanCastle map, there was a Queen Alien underwater who would attempt to shoot me if I looked over the railing, but she never came after me, though she did fade in and out.

I've had Lara for a loooong time :) even though the bot graphics aren't perfect (sometimes her feet disappear) I like her. My brother however, refuses to use her because her disappearing body bothers him :lol: She was another UT file I copied off my dad's computer; he also played Tomb Raider so it was cool seeing her in UT back when the bot was first made. I read somewhere there are two models of Lara? I haven't come across a second one, but I'd like to see it.
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

Don't worry, you already have the "good" version of Lara.

Yeah the Queen teleports anywhere she can fit, so you cannot run away.

If she is added with Asgard's awesome "Monsterspawn" mod, you can disable it.
Or you could edit the map and change the Queen's properties.
But then you won't have as much fun.
DeathoX 8
Experienced

Post by DeathoX 8 »

I didn't know R. Wey did more maps other than Falkenstein and Konosus! I'm going to hunt for the others :)
Also thanks for posting all those screenshots, I don't have some of the maps so I'm going to download those too (especially Bastion and Rhine look interesting out of those I've not tried)

As Dr.Flay said the Queen is aggressive only to the bots (since she's a "leftover" from the original Unreal game, and UT bots didn't exist in Unreal of course ;)), and the reason she is constantly flashing is that she's trying to teleport close to the last enemy she saw (which would be you, the player :P). However the stock Unreal Queen can only teleport to certain navigation points called fittingly QueenDest, which the author of Dominis apparently forgot to add.
The Queen of Monsterspawn is IIRC modified to enable teleporting also to normal pathnodes.

If you liked Vocant][ you might want to check out other maps of the same author (Paul "Taz" Mader, the same guy who made one of the most famous UT2003/4 custom maps, Aristocracy :)). The major drawback of his UT99 works is the lighting IMO, but they are pretty innovative and have nice architecture and atmosphere. I definitely recommend CTF-Noctambulant, and you might also like the first DM-Vocant which is quite nice although nowhere near the second version IMO.
Another castle-like map you might like is DM-LP-Freezing_Moon, included in the LowPolyMapPack 3. It's pretty small but I had some fun matches on that one :)
Nephew9999
Adept

Post by Nephew9999 »

no chance. for malcolms team lol
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

Loathsome's random monster sizer is funny as hell with the spawn zombies, as it can be hard to tell if it is small or very far away !
enb2013_1_10_1_20_55.jpg
rizbef
Experienced

Post by rizbef »

GEx wrote:Almost anything made by Robert Wey is a castle: DM-Falkenstein, DM-Konosus][, DM-FourthOrder etc.

DM-Abandonedfinalv1. The columns, high ceilings, architecture! :D :D It's also a good size; I was playing with 12 bots but 16 would probably be better, as it took me awhile at first to find anyone.
DeathoX 8 wrote:If you liked Vocant][ you might want to check out other maps of the same author (Paul "Taz" Mader, the same guy who made one of the most famous UT2003/4 custom maps, Aristocracy :)). The major drawback of his UT99 works is the lighting IMO, but they are pretty innovative and have nice architecture and atmosphere. I definitely recommend CTF-Noctambulant, and you might also like the first DM-Vocant which is quite nice although nowhere near the second version IMO.
Another castle-like map you might like is DM-LP-Freezing_Moon, included in the LowPolyMapPack 3. It's pretty small but I had some fun matches on that one :)
Ou you introduced me to some new nice maps! :tu: I downloaded the LowPolyMapPack 3 and a few other maps/map packs.

DM-LP-Sepulchrum. Aside from castles and gothic architecture, I love me some ancient ruins! And this map fits the bill! It's a bit small for 12, but that just means more action right? :wink: I found dynamite sticks on the floor... I thought they might explode when stepped on, but they just seem to be decorations. In the second picture, you can see how the bots are ganging up on me! Hard to take a good scenery screenshot heh.

DM-Undercrypt][. Creepy crypt + ruins = this map. It has a basement-like crypt, upper inside area (middle picture), and some outer areas, so it's not just an underground catacomb.

DM-LP-Freezing_Moon. We've got a winner with this one! Excellent recommendation there, DeathoX 8! It was smaller than it looked in the picture, but still really awesome. In the third picture, I noticed several star designs on the floor; I'm guessing they are just decoration? And as you can also see, the library area ended up destroyed :lol:

DM-UTR-Epitaph][. :shock: Where have you been hiding, you amazing piece of work?? I already loved the original Epitaph, and this second version is just as good if not better!

Just, just, :gj: So many details! I didn't take enough screenshots to convey my obsession with each building...

And you can pick up multiple antigravity boots????????????????????? :o Nice. I'll have to check if the other UTR maps can do that too... probably, since they came together in a pack. And I think the pack came from this community :) Obviously I'm far behind lol

I was surprised to find all of the weapons and armor in LMS. I tried the redeemer, but I'm not sure it worked... I didn't see a big explosion.

Relic of Defense? :lol: That was my first thought. But it's actually a helmet! More armor. Cool! I will definitely have to play this map again, and check out the others from the pack. I've been missing out on a lot :P
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

rizbef wrote:Relic of Defense? :lol: That was my first thought. But it's actually a helmet! More armor. Cool! I will definitely have to play this map again, and check out the others from the pack. I've been missing out on a lot :P
Ah, this is the helmet from X-pickups some one did "my level" it (packed it into the map).