Project Reminiscence - FoT 6 Announcement

Discussions about UT99
Swanky
Adept
Personal rank: Brush Commander

Project Reminiscence - FoT 6 Announcement

Post by Swanky »

Why do we always come back? Why can’t we let go?
Many people have been asking this question over time, for various reasons. And all it needed was a small push into the right direction. The idea of Project Reminiscence was born and many were eager to help. To most it felt like homecoming after years of absence from the Unreal Editor.
Even if you didn’t work with it for a long time, jumping into the editor has that special feeling to it, while still preserving a challenge, working with limited resources, assets and poly counts. We are confident that you will curse yourself at some point after starting with it again, but then you will also like it – possibly a lot.
While already being an impressive team, the Timewarp Crew has never been a closed society of veteran level-designers. We were always including newcomers to our team, and we are doing so now. So if anyone is feeling up to the challenge, we are inviting you to send us your ideas, pictures or maps, so we get an impression of your skills concerning the editor.

What is Project Reminiscence all about?
As with every release before, the Timewarp Crew is aiming for standards far above average.
We want to create a UT map pack that is pretty much only limited by imagination. There are no limits to what kind of map you will be allowed to create, other than it must fit the standard game types of UT. Deathmatch and Capture the Flag maps are encouraged, though, as these are the easiest to do, and usually require less planning than an Assault-type-map, for example.
Many of our maps are remarkable, be it the small maze-like layout of Atlantis, the grandeur of Simplex or the magnificence of Chronoshift. These maps are standing out, and it is this quality level we are aiming at again.

This all nice but when…?
Time has ironically been an issue every time we were doing a map pack. We are offering a loose guideline for every participant, but for those joining in later on, we cannot guarantee you can get an extension. Projects like these have to be engineered carefully and not everyone is having time afterwards.
Project Reminiscence will officially begin on January 15th, and end with its release scheduled to May.

How do I do?
To enter, you can simply show your interest here at UT99.org. We do need a convenient idea and possibly some screenshots / files of your work to decide if we can include you in Project Reminiscence.

Below, you can find some Artwork of ours that we have been producing over the years. Just click the pictures to enlarge. Also, all our works are linked so you can get an even better impression ingame.

Image Image Image Image

Download Flags of Time
Download Frags of Time Pt.1
Download Frags of Time Pt.2
Download Fusion of Time
Download Forts of Time Pt.1
Download Forts of Time Pt.2
Download Fate of Time

Do we have your attention? Good! Hope to see you there somewhere,
Sincerely,

- Swanky, Founder of the Timewarp Crew & Project Reminiscence lead
Sp0ngeb0b
Adept

Re: Project Reminiscence - FoT 6 Announcement

Post by Sp0ngeb0b »

:highfive: Awesome! Nothing more to say
Website, Forum & UTStats

Nexgen Server Controller || My plugins & mods on GitHub
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

medor wrote:Ave you separate files for each map ?
Swanky
Adept
Personal rank: Brush Commander

Post by Swanky »

We intend to have custom content myleveled for easier filehandling afterwards. There may be some single maps released of our earlier works but I am not sure how many there are.
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

Often, after a map-pack has been released for a while, mappers will release a map stand-alone for those that wish to have a separate copy for whatever reason. if you searched for "FoT" you will find many of them. Of course, if you don't have any of the maps to begin with, it is best to download the complete packs - this way, you get a nice collection of really decent mappage :tu:
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
Hort
Novice

Post by Hort »

:tu:
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

I have the maps in those screenshots, except the last one.

Will check the downloads out, see if there's anything I don't have.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

EvilGrins wrote:I have the maps in those screenshots, except the last one.
That would be FnB's SimpleX (look at the boxes...)

Well good luck to you all. I won't join to this cuz I still suck at mapping (a lot!) so I think I'll train for a while.

Remind me, who's in the Tcrew already?
UTPe
Masterful
Personal rank: Dude

Post by UTPe »

Awesome, long live Timewarp Crew ! :rock:

medor wrote:Ave you separate files for each map ?
Medor,
generally speaking, if you a have a map pack and want single .zip packages for every map, you can also build them by yourself, easily, by using [zOm] Server Map Manager: this software shows you the custom packages used by a map (.utx, .umx, .uax, .u) and lets you create a single .zip file.
Personal map database: http://www.ut99maps.net

"These are the days that we will return to one day in the future only in memories." (The Midnight)
DeathoX 8
Experienced

Post by DeathoX 8 »

UTPe wrote:generally speaking, if you a have a map pack and want single .zip packages for every map, you can also build them by yourself, easily, by using [zOm] Server Map Manager: this software shows you the custom packages used by a map (.utx, .umx, .uax, .u) and lets you create a single .zip file.
You can not take maps from a map mack, re-zip them separately and upload them anywhere, since it is specifically forbidden by a lot from the ReadMes in the various packs. Generally the map packs should be uploaded in their integrity, without altering any file in the zip file (this is also mentioned in the copyright section). It's just a matter of respect towards all the hard work that went into the making of the pack.

The don't alter the zip file rule also applies for pretty much all the normal maps, you can't just re-zip the map and its required packages and upload it elsewhere. Doing that you would also omit the ReadMe file, which is very important since it contains a lot of info and, more importantly, the copyright for the map.

I know this will probably seem unnecessarily strict and generally ridiculous to you, but this is all done to avoid any form of ripping and misuse of the maps. You'll think that we're a bunch of paranoids, but there's been cases in the past that warrant such strict rules. Please respect all the hours that were spent to provide you new content for free.

Now back on topic: Yay moar quality maps :D
UTPe
Masterful
Personal rank: Dude

Post by UTPe »

DeathoX 8 wrote:
UTPe wrote:generally speaking, if you a have a map pack and want single .zip packages for every map, you can also build them by yourself, easily, by using [zOm] Server Map Manager: this software shows you the custom packages used by a map (.utx, .umx, .uax, .u) and lets you create a single .zip file.
You can not take maps from a map mack, re-zip them separately and upload them anywhere, since it is specifically forbidden by a lot from the ReadMes in the various packs. Generally the map packs should be uploaded in their integrity, without altering any file in the zip file (this is also mentioned in the copyright section). It's just a matter of respect towards all the hard work that went into the making of the pack.

The don't alter the zip file rule also applies for pretty much all the normal maps, you can't just re-zip the map and its required packages and upload it elsewhere. Doing that you would also omit the ReadMe file, which is very important since it contains a lot of info and, more importantly, the copyright for the map.

I know this will probably seem unnecessarily strict and generally ridiculous to you, but this is all done to avoid any form of ripping and misuse of the maps. You'll think that we're a bunch of paranoids, but there's been cases in the past that warrant such strict rules. Please respect all the hours that were spent to provide you new content for free.

Now back on topic: Yay moar quality maps :D

Sorry, this is off-topic but you really need a simple and basic reply.

I respect everyone worked on UT99 in the past, works today and will work on UT99 in the future.
I always gave credits for maps and other packages built by mappers/developers (this is a must for me and I hope this is the same for others) but my personal respect stops here: if I need to share a single map in a map pack (or, for example, I need to install a single map on a server or even I want to mod a map), I zip it and share it with friends or team mates without problems. Why ? because there are no copyrights over maps and you don't have any copyrights even though you think you have: only Epic has some copyrights because we all use a software by Epic (Unreal Editor) in order to build maps so only Epic can say if something is "forbidden" or not, surely not you.
Probably you have been playing UT99 by many years but you never understood this basic rule. I don't think it's ridiculous, I think it's only sad.

If you don't want to share your "free" work, it's ok, don't do it, you can simply remove brushes from your maps or obfuscate your code, I don't care about it at all.
You can do what you want, it's the same for me.

regards,
Pietro
Personal map database: http://www.ut99maps.net

"These are the days that we will return to one day in the future only in memories." (The Midnight)
QuillioN
Experienced

Post by QuillioN »

@UTPe This is my only answer on this subject. You are utterly wrong as regards to copyright..ANY media created, be it a book, cd,dvd or game can and often does carry a copyright.
The person who creates any said work has that sole right to attach a copyright claim. you are saying that EPIC hold any permissions concerning UT series, this is true for the work
PUBLISHED with the game..NOT for any further work carried out using an editor, as the editor is a free program intended for that purpose.

If i made a map and EPIC paid me, i hand over copyright (it would be a standard contract of work)
It's a bit like saying, the inventor of the ink pen, holds all the rights to written work! whom-ever makes an original state of work, has sole rights to its protection.
It is that simple copyrights act 1988 will comfirm this, and european law holds the same judgement.

Now, this mappack is going to be FANTASTIC:) can't wait to see them:)
In a world of billions, why are there people still alone?
Revelation
Average
Personal rank: UEngine violator

Post by Revelation »

@UTPe: Nope, wrong.
Uploading single maps from a pack to a game server or sharing them with friends (NOT with the public!) is no problem, and has never been one.
But uploading them to a file base or something, and especially modifing them is a completely different story. And it's not even a question of copyrights, it's a question of manners and respect to the level-designer. Noone who takes mapping only half-way serious will agree to his work being "modified" by putting random brushes with fucked-up textures and 1000 Redeemers in it.
I just have to guess, you may have played UT for a while, but you never really built maps for it. Otherwise, you would have understood this basic rule.
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

I would even say: Don`t touch user created content at all as long it is not connected to shared content of a mod or mutator (means = if you are designing a custom operation na pali map, you obviously have to use the content). If the author of the map or whatever is doing is job right, you should be able to find out the origin of the content he/she was using (means the source of the content). If not, it is created by him/herself and you should not use it. And if you really want to use it or you are not sure in these matters, you have no other choice as to contact him/her. But actually UT2004 alone has so freaking much stuff. If this is not enough we have user created texture packages like Hourences packages. And if even this is not enough, check out the world wide web for other texture packages (e.g. gamebanana).
We have already discussed this topic a longer time ago: http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4198
Unfortunately even this forum has some unreasonable assholes I would like to see banned. Not only that, some people seem to think as long as you have not created anything (in their`s mind), you are not even authorised to give your opinion to this matter. Sadly, exactly these people, who are not willing to learn their lession, are still allowed to be here which pisses me off.

edit:
If i made a map and EPIC paid me, i hand over copyright (it would be a standard contract of work)
Example: DM-Rankin, shipped with UT2004. (Credits to epic, although it is done by Hourences)
Hourences IndusX/Pitroes/Nature = Hourences obviously, content is intended to get used within other user created content, in return of credits
DM-Redkin = User created (by Hourences), not part of official ut2004 content (or official bonuspacks).

I know this copyright stuff can be a little bit complex, and having respect to 3rd party created content shows a certain degree of maturity.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Hort
Novice

Post by Hort »

QuillioN wrote:@UTPe This is my only answer on this subject. You are utterly wrong as regards to copyright..ANY media created, be it a book, cd,dvd or game can and often does carry a copyright.
The person who creates any said work has that sole right to attach a copyright claim. you are saying that EPIC hold any permissions concerning UT series, this is true for the work
PUBLISHED with the game..NOT for any further work carried out using an editor, as the editor is a free program intended for that purpose.

It's a bit like saying, the inventor of the ink pen, holds all the rights to written work! whom-ever makes an original state of work, has sole rights to its protection.
It is that simple copyrights act 1988 will comfirm this, and european law holds the same judgement.

Now, this mappack is going to be FANTASTIC:) can't wait to see them:)

Generally true but not 100% - EPIC technically retained all copyright. From the EULA

18.(c) We just LOVE the idea of you using and distributing content or script from any prior Unreal branded game developed by Epic in your Mod. Therefore we grant you a license to use content from any prior Epic Games Unreal� game in your Mods. For the sake of clarity Epic retains all copyrights and you will not gain any ownership whatsoever in any Epic content or script nor can you use any Epic content or script outside the scope of the rights granted here. Any attempt to do so will bring about the wrath of our attorneys.

19. Copyright. The Software and all copyrights, trademarks and all other conceivable intellectual property rights related to the Software are owned by Midway, Epic or such parties' licensors and are protected by United States copyrights laws, international treaty provisions, an army of clones, and all applicable law, such as the Lanham Act. You must treat the Software like any other copyrighted material, as required by 17 U.S.C. Section 101 et seq. and other applicable law. Please do not make unauthorized copies. The program you've licensed was produced through the efforts of many people who earn their livelihood from its lawful use. These people like to eat, so don't make copies for others who have not paid for the right to use it. To report copyright violations to the Software Publishers Association, call 1‑800‑388‑PIR8 or write: Software Publishers Association, 1101 Connecticut Ave., Suite 901, Washington, D.C. 20036.

Technically EPIC grants you a license but they reserved copyright. ;)