Old Netcode 'vs' GlobalUnreal (NewNet)

Discussions about UT99
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Old Netcode 'vs' GlobalUnreal (NewNet)

Post by Wises »

well thought I would post here a link to the GU forums talking about the differences between the 2 , also because still many people have no idea what it is.. and those who do .. don't understand the differences or why there are differences etc.

therefore .. if you are interested in finding out more about it then : http://www.globalunreal.com/forums/view ... f=4&t=1025

all answers are there.

also interesting find on their forums .. timtims cross hairs which look pretty awesome as well.

http://www.globalunreal.com/forums/view ... =41&t=1150
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Re: Old Netcode 'vs' GlobalUnreal (NewNet)

Post by Feralidragon »

That's a nice list, although most of it has nothing to do with the old netcode, but rather the old gameplay alone, and most of the points regarding the netcode trace back to just 2 things: the way the player movement is handled and lag compensation.
So probably if we were going to point out the real differences in netcode, the list would be far shorter (imho).
Regardless, there's obviously a ton of hard work there and lays down the differences pretty nicely.
:gj:

Btw, that one lays the differences mostly from the player/gameplay perspective, is there a list on the differences on the setup of a server relative a "normal" server?
For example: I heard that a NewNet server needs to run with a tickrate of 100, when a normal server should sit around 30 to 60.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

medor wrote:My feelings ...

It is best to make have NewNet for an international server.
You can easily move and play correctly with a high ping ( 100 to 350 is ok).
I 'm french and can play in australia with japan players.

Under 100 i prefer ZP Old Netcode for beast performances.
With NewNet sometime i have my cursor on the enemy but not match it.
Air shot (insta and sniper) are very bade with NewNet with a big or low ping but a lot better with ZP Old Netcode.

I deplore the change damage and rate of the sniper under Normal W.
I deplore the change translocator which is unreactive the movement does not correspond to visual.You should feel farther away the trans.

The results are mixed.
I'm glad to find a distant server with NewNet.
I prefer ZP Old Netcode for a server within 100 ping.
Wises
Godlike

Post by Wises »

yes ive noticed some problems as well.. similar issues to yourself..

have you tried this.. on loe pinging servers.. with newnet..

console > newnetcode 0

which turns it off.. apparently

perhaps timtim should have an auto-disable feature for pings <=50ms or something.

also.. the hitsounds .. which by default are annoying.. i actually used other hitsounds which overlaid the default ones.. until tim fixed/added the ability to.. change between 3 types.. of which i still prefer the dfault pure ones.. :)

console > hitsounds 1

the sniper being slow to fire .. and the mini very loe powered now..

finally the inability to clean up.. dead corpses.. makes it seem less unreal... then the original.

however lets consider that newnet is... made by/for competative players.. not average joe monsterhunt .. or dm 1000 decals..

it is designed to allow skilled players to be able to compete over continents without noticable lag.

btw the australian server you are refferring to is actually in south east asia.. or Singapore to be exact.

it is also one of those azura servers that i posted about sometime ago
Last edited by Wises on Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

medor wrote:Not try this console > newnetcode 0
maximdymok
Experienced

Post by maximdymok »

I think the reason you say it's easier to hit in ZP is because sometimes when you miss it still registers there.. I can shoot a bit behind a player in ZP and it will count while in NewNet it won't. So you have to be more precise in NN. Also the sniper fire rate is slower so it makes it harder to hit as well. The only big problem I see with NN right now is the undodgeable projectiles - if a high pinger shoots a rocket at you, and you dodge it last second - it will still hit you. In reg this happens much more rarely since high pingers have to wait until the server lets them shoot the rocket, and only if YOUR ping is high will they be hard to dodge. But simply because of the concept behind NN it's nearly impossible to fix this issue, except to introduce remote player prediction.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:
Wises wrote: also interesting find on their forums .. timtims cross hairs which look pretty awesome as well.

They are not bad. I wouldn't use the word awesome. While using white crosshairs you can move the sliders to make it one of hundreds of shade of red green or blue. A lot of people would prefer if the crosshair used the RGB colors themselves so that the sliders make them more transparent or remove parts of it completely by moving that color's slider to 0. I won't comment on this netcode talk except say I'm not really a fan, but if you favor of changing classic stuff that people like, or giving up ut99 elements for ut2004 ones then by all means. Also, it's not released yet so any form you would've tried would not be complete
Wises
Godlike

Post by Wises »

[youtube]d1Wuwz-d1Z0[/youtube]
[url=unreal://138.91.34.2:7777]Image[/url]

classic stuff?

ut2004 elements?

please elaborate ;)

This is what we have atm... and theres still more to come.
also we'll be releasing MapVoteX soon which is WAY more powerful then anything out there.
and has.. some cool features BTW.. ;
Spoiler
*Thats about the only UT2k4 stuff We have currently anyways;

also... currently Ranked 80th on GameTracker.com without using Bots with Pings;

and this server's only been registered with GT for couple of Months.

and I'm only 1/2 done with it.. I have not yet exhausted its capacity ;)

but soon there will be more things/features etc.. with lower overheads.. ;)

re: newnet (current Version) - is pretty good tbh.

I ping in at 260ms.. and it is smooth enough and quick enough for me to stay for 3-4 rounds without much noticable lag.
Cronoloop
Skilled

Post by Cronoloop »

That is the Patsui Crosshair! Slightly modified though
I played on some deck newnet server, and yes, there is difference
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:
Wises wrote: classic stuff?

ut2004 elements?

please elaborate ;)
Fast weapon switch, lag compensation?

If people want to try it for themselves they should go to the official server, not some stolen software server
Wises
Godlike

Post by Wises »

> just a small note on your 'classic' faults.. consider them features ;)

> also.. unlike any of your server's we do-not get the common 'LAG' problem.. which any Server non NewNet has ...

Adious Ana-Mos
Spoiler
ImageImage
Last edited by Wises on Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:58 am, edited 10 times in total.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:So what did I steal and where from? There's an actual thread in the link that shows how you got the leaked copy of it to begin with. If people want the latest version to test and report problems go to the actual source of it, not a version that is full of bugs and irrelevant fixed already bugs. And you already agreed that any server you set up with your stolen software doesn't have the correct hardware specifications to handle the max player count you set
Wises
Godlike

Post by Wises »

anyways.. more important things to do ..
Last edited by Wises on Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:
Wises wrote:hmm .. don't really have time to go through your crap bro..
;)
Then why say anything? You are advertising an unofficial server and saying it is official. If you go to the link it clearly says how the copy was leaked to the public.

You can try find that stolen work now since you have eternity to get back to me, you even bumped my thread. Get back to us with those relevations please. Note that the antimessagehack one clearly says where it was from, it's the same generic code in CSHP, EUT, Nexgen, Pure, DHP1b and probably NBSP. Maybe some slightly different variations. If you want to go and critise all those authors we would need to run half of all anti-cheats together on a server which would be pleasant I'm sure. Also, saw ya "testing" the private siege from unrealkillers on your server, which was also leaked a while back. Guess you're part of that circle too hey
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

STOP IT gentlemen !!

Can we please go back to topic Now?!
And let your anger out via PM please.