Epic: Future of Unreal Tournament [UT4]

Discussions about everything else
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Re: Epic: Future of Unreal Tournament

Post by Hellkeeper »

Feralidragon wrote:If ONS/WAR/VCTF sucked players in, it was because players enjoyed it, it's that simple. If the people that don't like are afraid of having the possibility to play with them just because other (or as you imply: most) will play it because they like to play it, that's the very definition of selfishness and elitism.

Whoever shares the same disliking for vehicles, can freely play without them in the many gametypes available. After having played UT2004 a lot in the past, I liked both vehicular and non-vehicular gametypes, and both had always a lot of players in them. I could play normal weapons or instagib or normal ctf as much as I liked, and then play ONS or VCTF in the same manner, one didn't influence the other.
I agree completely with everything you said. Yet I get the people who want UT to remain true to its roots. The tension is between those who like the game for what it used to be and those who like it for what it has/may become. In fact, this is just another contentious aspect of the UT99/UT2004 debate. There is no solution to please everyone, everyone has an opinion, most are equally valid, a few are clearly wrong or right, but whatever happens, people will be pissed.
You must construct additional pylons.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

From the forum I just joined, 2 interesting articles:

1 · https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthr ... d-An-essay
2 · https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthr ... -By-GitzZz

Yes, these are about UT4.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Saya-chan
Adept
Personal rank: Former UT99 modder

Post by Saya-chan »

I just want to say, detail for the sake of detail is something I really don't like of these newfangled games.
  ~♥~ Bless the Cute Emperor ~♥~
Cronoloop
Skilled

Post by Cronoloop »

I'm reading the forums seems like there's a big concern for vehicles there too lol
People who want matchmaking ranked system, people who want movement x or y, etc. etc.

Why is the community so split?
RocketJedi
Inhuman
Personal rank: I.T Master

Post by RocketJedi »

Saya-chan wrote:I just want to say, detail for the sake of detail is something I really don't like of these newfangled games.
:rock: agreed.. they lost the concept of awesome game play in place of awesome grapchics
https://www.vulpinemission.com
Image ROCKET-X8 Server
Image MONSTERHUNT w/ NALI WEAPONS 3 + RX8
Image BUNNYTRACK NY
Image SNIPER DEATHMATCH
Image InstaGib + ComboGib + Jailbreak
Image ROSEBUM ROCKET-X RB
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Qwerty wrote:
Saya-chan wrote:I just want to say, detail for the sake of detail is something I really don't like of these newfangled games.
:rock: agreed.. they lost the concept of awesome game play in place of awesome grapchics
You described nearly "every" new game nowadays.
RocketJedi
Inhuman
Personal rank: I.T Master

Post by RocketJedi »

papercoffee wrote:
Qwerty wrote:
You described nearly "every" new game nowadays.

pretty much that's why I don't play any new games.
https://www.vulpinemission.com
Image ROCKET-X8 Server
Image MONSTERHUNT w/ NALI WEAPONS 3 + RX8
Image BUNNYTRACK NY
Image SNIPER DEATHMATCH
Image InstaGib + ComboGib + Jailbreak
Image ROSEBUM ROCKET-X RB
Cronoloop
Skilled

Post by Cronoloop »

Acid.OMG
Adept
Personal rank: XFIRE: mmmmtoasty

Post by Acid.OMG »

should make for some interesting bunny tracks mods
[/Awesome]
TheDane
Masterful
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Post by TheDane »

Cronoloop wrote:Why is the community so split?
People have different taste, that's why. Games are like art, take the most known paintings by say Van Gogh, Da Vinci or Michelangelo. Some will pay millions for it - some will rather watch football in the telly than glancing at them. Be glad that the community wants different things. If it wasn't so just think of all the community created mods we would have missed? The developers knows this - I'm sure they will be coding it thinking that it will be modded from here to the moon - hopefully they'll make that easy for us.
Retired.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:For those who missed it or want to watch it again, this from a couple hours ago
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

billybill wrote:For those who missed it or want to watch it again, this from a couple hours ago
yup ...missed it, thanks. :tu:
Cronoloop
Skilled

Post by Cronoloop »

TheDane wrote:
Cronoloop wrote:Why is the community so split?
People have different taste, that's why. Games are like art, take the most known paintings by say Van Gogh, Da Vinci or Michelangelo. Some will pay millions for it - some will rather watch football in the telly than glancing at them. Be glad that the community wants different things. If it wasn't so just think of all the community created mods we would have missed? The developers knows this - I'm sure they will be coding it thinking that it will be modded from here to the moon - hopefully they'll make that easy for us.
My fear though is always the same that will happen with all the other games: will play this for some months, and back to 99 lol :ironic: I hope this won't be the case, but I have my doubts
Charlo
Novice

Post by Charlo »

The most important thing with a new UT is that it needs to be easy for people to make maps. The original UT was so successful because anybody could make a map that looked just as good as the stock maps, if they put in a small amount of effort. 2004 and UT3 looked fantastic, but it took too much work for the average player to make a map that even came close to the expected level of detail and realism.

Anyway, I'm excited for this.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

It's not elite to hate cars in a DM made game because other people want to play boring team games, leave the team stuff for halflife and leave my UT alone.

I never play team games since the invention of CTF and that damn grapple in quake 1, and 2 fort 4 or prisoner.
Still say the most bad ass game was Painkeep for quake 1, even then when they redid it for quake 3, it ruined Painkeep.

I say no CTF, no cars, ONS or onslut, flags, huge maps, ah well. and eliminate the shock rifle and the translocator.

there hows that !!! :tongue:
Binary Space Partitioning