Rizbef's Castle Maps Reviews

Discussions about UT99
rizbef
Experienced
Personal rank: castle maps hoarder

Rizbef's Castle Maps Reviews

Post by rizbef »

Back when I posted some castle map screenshots and reviews, it was suggested that someone start a review list/blog. I am just now getting around to it. :lol:

Here, I will post one screenshot and a short blurb of each map. All maps will mostly be related to castles (any type), gothic/ancient/similar architecture, temples, etc. I will be reviewing maps I find, and then rating them. Occasionally I may post a review of a different type of map that I really like.

This list will be a combination of DM, CTF, and DOM maps.

Underneath the picture and review, there will be a link to more screenshots and a longer review of the map, in individual livejournal posts @ ut99_castles

I will combine a lot of maps into one post in this thread, but each individual map will have their own review/pics in separate lj posts.

Let's start with a few of the maps I already reviewed briefly in the "screenshots for fun" thread :mrgreen:

DM-HagmanCastle

Hagman Castle is named after actor Larry Hagman, who played J.R. Ewing on the hit tv show Dallas. The castle is less of an actual castle and more of a place with many big rooms connected together. It is very large and easily a 16-player map.

Read More

DM-Bastion

Bastion is an old abandoned castle. This perfectly fits in with my collection of castle and architecture maps! The castle has multiple levels, a drawbridge, and a moat. Not a lot of decorations, but it is well-designed. Plus, it's abandoned; all the knickknacks would have been looted been looted by now :lol:

Read More

DM-UNLD-Casa_Loma

'Seven serpent spirits haunt the mansion. If you disturb all seven of them, they will unleash the serpent god's ultimate weapon of destruction!'

This review may contain spoilers!
Read More

I will post more when I get the chance!
(but not within 24 hrs of course :wink:

edit: I wasn't sure if I should post this in GD or Mapping, but since it's not about making maps or my maps, I stuck it here. Please move it if needed! :)

double edit:: forgot to add,

Want a map reviewed? Request here or at the livejournal! My only condition is that maps have to DM/DOM/CTF only.
Also, if a map causes my game to crash, I probably won't be able to review it.
Last edited by rizbef on Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: Rizbef's Castle Maps Reviews

Post by EvilGrins »

I recognize some of these maps. Someone posted a bunch of screenshots in the 'Screenshots for Fun' thread last year of like 50 different castle-maps, most of the ones above were in that.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
rizbef
Experienced

Post by rizbef »

EvilGrins wrote:I recognize some of these maps. Someone posted a bunch of screenshots in the 'Screenshots for Fun' thread last year of like 50 different castle-maps, most of the ones above were in that.
That was me :mrgreen:
rizbef
Experienced

Post by rizbef »

DM-CTC-DeadlyWorship

Today, in modern times, this legendary arena of death still stands - a monument to the struggle of two brothers in a dark age...
-from the readme by FraGnBraG

Read More

DM-FourthOrder

This is quite a large map, definitely 10-16 players. The castle is big too, with 2-3 floors underneath the hill and 2 towers on top. The castle is built on an island, so if you fall off, you're a goner.

Read More

DM-Epitaph

Another map in the UNLD mappack, Epitaph is set in a tiny village with narrow houses and walkways. Plenty of z-axis action and sniping to be had!

Read More

I will be reviewing the remaining maps that I previously showed in the thread "Screencaps for Fun" coming up in my next post, and then I'll finally get to some new maps! :D
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

If you like castle maps, I suggest you take a look at DM-Falkenstein. Be warned: it is not small.
You must construct additional pylons.
rizbef
Experienced

Post by rizbef »

Hellkeeper wrote:If you like castle maps, I suggest you take a look at DM-Falkenstein. Be warned: it is not small.
Oh ho ho ho.... That is my most favorite map of all time :satan:
{S.o.W}DeathMask
Skilled

Post by {S.o.W}DeathMask »

If so, Why don't you make a review on my DM-Pestilence, which is a cryptic/castle map (well, no outside part playable, but you can see a little, a very little of it)?
{S.o.W}DeathMask, 9 times CWC UT2003, 1 time EMKTC.

rizbef
Experienced

Post by rizbef »

{S.o.W}DeathMask wrote:If so, Why don't you make a review on my DM-Pestilence, which is a cryptic/castle map (well, no outside part playable, but you can see a little, a very little of it)?
I'll put this map at the top of the list! :mrgreen: I'll get to it asap
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

I don't have the exact name handy, but I think it's DM-KrallKeep.

Beautiful map, filled with boobytraps & secret passages & a moat; battle inside the castle as well around it.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

when envissioning castles I imagine , doungeons , guard towers walkways , kings chambers and prisoner cells / torcher chambaz, secret underground escape routes ,draw bridges and crocodile infested motes.

perhaps even some catapults in the mix.
rizbef
Experienced

Post by rizbef »

EvilGrins wrote:I don't have the exact name handy, but I think it's DM-KrallKeep.

Beautiful map, filled with boobytraps & secret passages & a moat; battle inside the castle as well around it.
I searched google but found nothing on krallkeep :? The map sounds awesome though, so if you ever find it, let me know!
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Medor seems to not have it eigher, DM-KrallTemple is the closest sounding one:
http://medor.no-ip.org/index.php?dir=Ma ... temple.zip

BTW: A few months ago, a dude named BRDEMPSEY69 released a pretty cool castle-ish map named DM-Conqueror over at Hook's forum. Pretty fun and pretty pretty map I have to say :wink:. Check it out!
http://hooksutplace.freeforums.org/dm-c ... t2390.html
TheDane
Masterful
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Post by TheDane »

I dunno if anyone is interested in a huuuuge castle map made for zark snipers? Anyway, I've made one in the past: http://www.unrealplayground.com/forums/ ... le&id=6135

Don't expect it to support other gamestyles than sniper style :tu:
Retired.
rizbef
Experienced

Post by rizbef »

TheDane wrote:I dunno if anyone is interested in a huuuuge castle map made for zark snipers? Anyway, I've made one in the past: http://www.unrealplayground.com/forums/ ... le&id=6135

Don't expect it to support other gamestyles than sniper style :tu:
I actually have this map :mrgreen:

I went on a castle hunt a year or two ago, and I downloaded a ton of maps from this one site (can't remember which) that had the word 'castle' in their names.
It'll pop up on this thread eventually, though I can't promise when.