[INFO] Development Journal

UT99.org

Re: [INFO] Development Journal

Post by UT99.org »

medor wrote:I'm on wirar 3.80 under xp

i'm not the only one .. on http://www.moddb.com/mods/utcommunitysdk
AkyraDec Nov 2 2011, 12:57pm says:

Zip bad...how it packed? 271
It is possible to use for the Wheel of Time ?..:)
Shadow
Masterful
Personal rank: Mad Carpenter

Post by Shadow »

Simply use 7zip, WinRAR often fails for some compression standards or gives errors were even the build-in windows zip program has no problem with
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Sorry but It is corrupt. I downloaded last night, and today (4 times) and winRAR won't unpack it.
If you used 7zip ultra compression, then why is it a ZIP file instead of 7z?
Are you sure you used the right extension?
It gives the error "Unrecognised method"

If you want to be secure and small, use RAR. You can include a recovery record (3% is small is usualy enough) that way corrupt archives can be fixed.

You could pre-compress your code before archival, with UXP or equivalent, though it should only make a big change to non-optimal code.
BTW. This was our coders rule of thumb for the last 20 years (giving my age away) if the distro/installer compressed a lot, then we sent the programmers back to their room, to remove all the empty spaces, that they forgot about.
:tu: You are currently excused from this, as you are distributing source code with a beta.
Attachments
Clipboard01.png
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

Ok I've unpacked it with 7zip.
You have used a non-standard form of zip. If you want to stick to using 7zip, then please make 7z files, instead of zip.
If you had saved a 7z file, WinRAR would have happily opened it.

After re-compression with WinRAR (Solid mode & inc. 3% recovery record) it is almost 2 megs bigger, but is protected from damage and more open-able by more software.
(Personally I resent having to install 7zip for a single one-off task on the internet cafe's PC. Needless to say I have removed it again.)
Shadow
Masterful

Post by Shadow »

Oh my... next time I compress it with WinRAR again. 7zip simply has the best compression results, with WinRAR I compressed it to 29 MB, with 7zip to 19.8 MB which is a noticeable difference. You can simply choose which file format to be used for the archive when using 7zip and I choose *.zip ... well what's so difficult using 7zip? WinRAR often gives errors even on working archives the windows zip program can even handle...

I have suggested to use 7zip in the ModDB download section now.
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

Shadow wrote:Oh my... next time I compress it with WinRAR again. 7zip simply has the best compression results, with WinRAR I compressed it to 29 MB, with 7zip to 19.8 MB which is a noticeable difference. You can simply choose which file format to be used for the archive when using 7zip and I choose *.zip ... well what's so difficult using 7zip? WinRAR often gives errors even on working archives the windows zip program can even handle...

I have suggested to use 7zip in the ModDB download section now.
I compressed to 22MB with WinRAR (it would be 3% smaller without the recovery record). You should check the settings to get better compression. (enable solid archive, and make sure you use a 4MB dictionary.

This is in fact the first and only 7zip file I have ever had a problem with.
If you remember to save it as a "7z" file and WinRAR has no problem.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

medor wrote:alternative with no 7 zip

http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/utfi ... ta-271.rar
Shadow
Masterful

Post by Shadow »

Thanks, medor. So next time I compress it with WinRAR again.
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

I had a play last night. I think "Ultra" compression with a large dictionary, is not standard (ie. not in the real WinZIP)
RARed version + 3% recovery record 21.5MB
7zipped version 17.5MB

I always recommend RAR simply because of the recovery records, so you can avoid problems with corrupt DLs.
When/if 7zip use them I will swap my recomendation.
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

Installed the new SDK last night but I can't get it to work.
The sdkOpenGL seems to work in the editor, but UT crashes as soon as it tries to go to fullscreen.

The renderer does not use the defaults you have in the ini file. I think the header at the top is wrong (I looked at an existing OpenGL configs)
I have included a txt file with the sdkOpenGL settings before and after I manually added your defaults to my UT.ini.

I notice Coronas, Shiny surfaces, Volumetric Lighting, and HighDetailActors are all switched off. Is this right?

I opened a map in the editor with the SDK installed, Items already placed in the map are now difficult to select. Unless I zoom right up to the actor, it often selects the texture behind it.
Actors at a distance are grey and glow, and as you move closer become solid and colourful. Is this a feature for editing?

Your sdkOpenGL.int and ini files are not filled out correctly. The errors in the int file mean that if you use UT to change renderers, instead of editing UnrealTournament.ini it will fill out an incorrect name.
sdkOpenGLDrv.sdkOpenGLRenderDevice instead of sdkOpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice.
You have edited a DirectX int file, and left reference to Direct3D in it.

I have prepared some fixed files for you, with some other examples of a standard OpenGL int, D3D int files.

The rar includes my main ini file and a log of me trying to run UT.
There isn't a lot of info in the log.

I spent 6 hours trying to get it to work. I even re-installed the 436 no delta patch again, to make sure nothing was non-standard, but no joy.
Attachments
SDK-OpenGL.rar
(17.17 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

medor wrote:I think the time has come to UnrealEd version 2.2 or UnrealED2.SDK

A complet UnrealED2 and stable would be very useful.Because it missing things on all versions such as buttons http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/foru ... f=55&t=508

1/ A completely separate version of UT player
and
2/ a full patch for the base version of UT Player

Who has time and ability to do that? :help: :roll:
Saya-chan
Adept
Personal rank: Former UT99 modder

Post by Saya-chan »

Oh, I use those buttons too. But for some reason there is a problem with Tarquin's extruded brush builder and the SDK.
  ~♥~ Bless the Cute Emperor ~♥~
Shadow
Masterful

Post by Shadow »

Dr.Flay wrote:Installed the new SDK last night but I can't get it to work.
The sdkOpenGL seems to work in the editor, but UT crashes as soon as it tries to go to fullscreen.

The renderer does not use the defaults you have in the ini file. I think the header at the top is wrong (I looked at an existing OpenGL configs)
I have included a txt file with the sdkOpenGL settings before and after I manually added your defaults to my UT.ini.

I notice Coronas, Shiny surfaces, Volumetric Lighting, and HighDetailActors are all switched off. Is this right?

I opened a map in the editor with the SDK installed, Items already placed in the map are now difficult to select. Unless I zoom right up to the actor, it often selects the texture behind it.
Actors at a distance are grey and glow, and as you move closer become solid and colourful. Is this a feature for editing?

Your sdkOpenGL.int and ini files are not filled out correctly. The errors in the int file mean that if you use UT to change renderers, instead of editing UnrealTournament.ini it will fill out an incorrect name.
sdkOpenGLDrv.sdkOpenGLRenderDevice instead of sdkOpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice.
You have edited a DirectX int file, and left reference to Direct3D in it.

I have prepared some fixed files for you, with some other examples of a standard OpenGL int, D3D int files.

The rar includes my main ini file and a log of me trying to run UT.
There isn't a lot of info in the log.

I spent 6 hours trying to get it to work. I even re-installed the 436 no delta patch again, to make sure nothing was non-standard, but no joy.
Looking at your log file the error is still established by creating a levelinfo at the start of the game, we have discussed that error and I fixed it, the fix will be included in the next beta.

For the settings I can say: yes, there might be incorrect, I was in haste and copied the options from the source code, so I might have missed some

It's NOT a feature what you experience there, I can't really imagine what you mean with that actor selection issue, please post a pic - I didn't have such problems

AND: DO NOT CHANGE the render device with the UT frontend! I never mentioned in the description to change it that way.

Next beta won't have problems like that anymore, because nothing of UT is touched anymore since it'll be installed and maintained outside of UT in an own directory.
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

Shadow wrote: Looking at your log file the error is still established by creating a levelinfo at the start of the game, we have discussed that error and I fixed it, the fix will be included in the next beta.
Ok, so that's the same error as I had opening a map with the last SDK.
Shadow wrote: For the settings I can say: yes, there might be incorrect, I was in haste and copied the options from the source code, so I might have missed some
So should Lens-flares, coronas and high detail actors etc. be switched on ? or does the SDK need them switched off to use it's own?
I have left all settings as you supplied.
Shadow wrote: It's NOT a feature what you experience there, I can't really imagine what you mean with that actor selection issue, please post a pic - I didn't have such problems
I thought it was odd!
OK, here is a screen shot of the "glowing at a distance" issue. The map is the Xpickups test map. You can see that as I move closer to the weapons locker, it becomes grey, then full colour as I get really close to it.
I can't get a shot of me, not being able to select an actor, as there is nothing to see!
The flag in the back of shot is a good example. I cannot click on the flag, but if I zoom up very close to it, I can only click on a small part of the flag base. Mostly it will select the floor, wall or texture behind the object.
Shadow wrote: AND: DO NOT CHANGE the render device with the UT frontend! I never mentioned in the description to change it that way.
I did set the renderer manually first, but as it immediately crashes, it always opens the "first run dialogue" when I next run UT. This is why I spotted the error in the int file. If you do want it to be non-selectable, maybe a dummy int file with a user-warning? or maybe have it point back at the standard OpenGL? or maybe just remove the int file if UT doesn't mind?

BTW. which version of the OpenGL renderer are you using? I see lots of switches/strings that were in older versions of Chris Dohnal's Enhanced OpenGL renderer. The current v3.6 has removed some of them and added others.

:!: BTW,BTW. I have used both v3.6 OpenGL and v1.3 DirectX9 renderers with my setup. Both set to as equal settings as possible.
On my new ATI card Direct3D is much faster, with OpenGL making the game twitch and stutter. Whereas when I had my old nVidia card, OpenGL and Direct3D performance where very similar. Also some settings make the GFX card not use it's own memory for textures. This may explain why people have such different experiences.
:evil: I hate my ATI card, and I hate the massive ATI driver, but nVidia stopped making AGP cards :evil:
Attachments
sdkOpenGL.png
Shadow
Masterful

Post by Shadow »

Well, simply switch on what you want to be on. It's not important for the SDK at all.

Looking at your picture I concluded that it looks like as if Distance Fog is somehow on, even if it shouldn't (maybe the settings have been changed) I noticed that effect already myself, but with Distance Fog on - I will look what I can do

For the OpenGL Render driver I used a somewhat "older" version, that's right. With UTGLR 3.6 and 3.7 I had have significant problems installing Distance Fog. The SAME code now doesn't simply work in 3.6 / 3.7 - so I used a bit older version. But I really have to move on to a newer UTGLR version since they feature OpenGL extension I need for more hardcoded features. Height Fog for example needs an extension older UTGLR versions don't support (needs OpenGL 1.4 and up), I hope I can get some help from other unreal c++/uscript masterminds (smirftsch, dots, raven) - it can't be that distance fog works in one driver and in the other one NOT