Introducing The_CrY

Introduce yourself! (Please NOT only your Name or Clan!)
The_CrY
Novice

Introducing The_CrY

Post by The_CrY »

Hi all,

I don't know if I'm going to be very active on this forum, but I thought I might introduce myself here anyway. :)

Unreal Tournament 99 is one of my absolute favourite games. No matter what other adventures get in the way, I will always return to this pioneering, timeless FPS. I only play offline with bots though. Back when I could play online, I had not the internet connection to do it, and now the game only works perfectly smooth on an XP machine that I've disconnected from the internet permanently. So I don't know anybody here, and I'm pretty sure no one knows me either. I finally decided to visit the UT99 community (thank god there still is one!), since I've taken a minor interest in modding again.

When I say I'm interested in modding I'm often more interested in it than actually modding. And when I say modding I do not speak of high quality stuff worthy of sharing with anyone but myself. Not exactly state of the art material. But I like doing it and I'm mostly on this forum to learn from others and to admire other people's creations. :)

Cheers,
The_CrY
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Introducing The_CrY

Post by papercoffee »

Welcome aboard Sailor...
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Hello CrY
You may have got more welcomes from everyone, but at the moment everyone is struggling with the site.
Don't worry about how productive you may or may not be, just join-in and you'll be learning new tricks before you know it :tu:

Is there a reason your XP PC is not online ?
If your concern is due to the lack of Windows updates, and the doomsday everyone worried about :omfg:
Don't worry about it, just use your PC in a secure way, and keep your other software updated.
I will happily be using my old XP box online for many years to come.

You simply have to get used to running in a limited user account.
RocketJedi
Inhuman
Personal rank: I.T Master

Post by RocketJedi »

welcome! enjoy your stay.
https://www.vulpinemission.com
Image ROCKET-X8 Server
Image MONSTERHUNT w/ NALI WEAPONS 3 + RX8
Image BUNNYTRACK NY
Image SNIPER DEATHMATCH
Image InstaGib + ComboGib + Jailbreak
Image ROSEBUM ROCKET-X RB
The_CrY
Novice

Post by The_CrY »

Thanks, all! :)
Dr.Flay wrote: Is there a reason your XP PC is not online ?
If your concern is due to the lack of Windows updates, and the doomsday everyone worried about :omfg:
Don't worry about it, just use your PC in a secure way, and keep your other software updated.
I will happily be using my old XP box online for many years to come.
Yes, that is exactly the reason. Well truth is, the XP machine has not been a stranger to virusses and malware, if you know what I mean. Add to that that the network card has no WiFi support (it is quite old), so I probably could arrange it all to work, but I'd rather not, since I have a perfectly fine laptop that can run almost anything else and saves me the trouble. I'm going to try using the steam version of UT99 on this one though, perhaps that one will work.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

If you use the steam version, you will have a problem using UEd. There have been a few solutions posted, but I don't know what the best method is.
I would recommend you use the stand-alone version anyway, then you can add whatever you like in your main install without getting odd map problems in UEd.
http://hof.entre-okc.com/forum/topic.as ... IC_ID=2466

Well by the sound of it I don't think it is the difference between OS that got you infected, so don't make the mistake of thinking you are better-off now ;)
A quality AV package, and not using java and IE are a big help, but also not trusting files you got from somewhere that is not the authors own mirror.
There are various browser addons that help warn you about bad sites and files, or you can use to test remotely, so the file is inspected before you get it.
Never click on files or links in emails. Always "save-as..." or with links right-click and copy to a search bar or service like the VirusTotal plugin.
Set your web browsers to empty the cache when closed. If you need java do the same for java.
Using software with good security features, and knowing where they are is important.
I use Shareaza 2 for a lot of my downloading needs, as it connects to every useful p2p network and more, but also has useful security features, and other users can review files and mark them as infected when deleting, so other users will know before downloading.

Security rule No1: Never rely on defaults !
Security rule No2: Never rely on pre-installed anti-malware software. Choose your own. Wisely.
Most importantly and especially if you are about to do something stupid, not being in an admin profile is the biggest saviour.
Not being Admin will save your ass over 90% of the time.
As long as you know an admin account details, you can always elevate yourself when needed, so you can still be admin when needed.

Whether you use Win3.11, Win9x, ME, 2000, XP, 7, or 8 those are the things that avoid malware, no matter if the OS gets any more updates.
The common factor is not giving your PC a problem it has to deal with.
Sorry for the security lesson, but I think you will thank me later ;)
https://vivaldi.net/forum/private-brows ... er-plugins
https://vivaldi.net/blogs/entry/online-anti-malware
https://vivaldi.net/blogs/entry/security
The_CrY
Novice

Post by The_CrY »

Of course, I really appreciate your concern and the time you have dedicated to this lesson in security.

Thing is, I actually know all that stuff. Yet, I had that XP machine since I was 17, and like all teenagers I was pretty stupid back then. So back then I did some things that unbalanced the otherwise fine pc. I have no idea what they were and how I got malware, but I've reinstalled Windows twice already on that pc, and things keep cropping up. The bloody machine can't even function properly if I don't connect my external harddrive. How strange it may seem, my Win7 laptop has no issues at all.

Steam version works like a charm so far. I've added my favourite mods to it already, and no errors so far. I'll be sure to keep my UnrealEd adventures to the other version then.

Anyway, thanks for your reply. :)
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Dr.Flay wrote: Whether you use Win3.11, Win9x, ME, 2000, XP, 7, or 8 those are the things that avoid malware, no matter if the OS gets any more updates.
What? No Vista but ME ?? :mrgreen: