Pop the friggin balloons

Discussions about GameTypes
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Pop the friggin balloons

Post by papercoffee »

Idea for a map ... something AS style ...but with the TD game-play.
I will think about it.
TheDane
Masterful
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Post by TheDane »

The beta testing is going great and I've decided to reviel more of the mod for the betatesters. Now you can edit the rounds and control what balloons to spawn in each round - hopefully I will get feedback so the most optimal setup can be made :tu:

For info on how to edit the rounds go here: https://forum.unrealtournament.info/vie ... t=25#p1679

Lot's of bugs have been found and changes suggested in that thread too.

Pop away!
Dr.Flay wrote:Well watching a clip of the real Battle Tower Defence, leaves me thinking this will be rather different to play, and that I'm not going to understand it from that.
I better just jump in and just see how it flies.
Have you had the time to test this yet? I would very much apreciate your opinion on this :tu:
papercoffee wrote:Idea for a map ... something AS style ...but with the TD game-play.
I will think about it.
If you would consider making a map (or more?) for this mod it would be awesome :tu: many have already told me they'll considder it :rock: I will make a mappers tutorial soon with the details about the custom actors and a guideline to how to construct the basics to fit the mod. Anyone wanting to jump onboard with this will be FULLY credited for their Work in the finished project - directly in the game itself (you'll see more about how in a future release beta version).
Retired.
Radi
Adept

Post by Radi »

Hey Dane :-)
Im waiting for this mapping tut for this mod, I can't help with testing now but I can create something in UEd :) .. Hmmm I just need a good idea, mapping for this mod should be easy I think :)
TheDane
Masterful

Post by TheDane »

Radi wrote:Hey Dane :-)
Im waiting for this mapping tut for this mod, I can't help with testing now but I can create something in UEd :) .. Hmmm I just need a good idea, mapping for this mod should be easy I think :)
I'll be as fast as possible with this I promise! I've just recieved some suggestions from UnrealGecko to a few new actors which I will add to the game, so I'll need to implement them and adjust mapping tutorial according to it - then a beta2 will be released with a 'Mappers guide to build maps' included :tu: So stay tuned!
Retired.
TheDane
Masterful

Post by TheDane »

Ok, beta 2 is now out and ready for tests, get it here: https://forum.unrealtournament.info/vie ... f=10&t=219 And please reply with your feedback as it will make the mod better!!!

Beta2 comes with a mapping tutorial that can be viewed here: https://forum.unrealtournament.info/vie ... f=10&t=218

The tutorial is also to be considdered beta and feedback to it is very welcomed too, post feedback about the tutorial in the beta2 thread as well :tu:
Retired.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

This is worth a look and try guys, especially if you like the little java games it is based on.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Definetly!

Haven't tried b2 yet, but so far I have 2 WIP maps that might get in the mod's beta3 (hopefully). ;)

:gj: Dane. This is one mod that definetly makes the game different, and it does that with quality :rock:
ASLY

Post by ASLY »

I'm very interested about this new mod. In this weekend I test this new mod if I have time, and maybe I made a map for this mod.
And if I not forget I register to your forum Dane. Keep it up mate! :)
Radi
Adept

Post by Radi »

That was a quick, Dane :-) you working on this like devil :-P
TheDane
Masterful

Post by TheDane »

UnrealGecko wrote:Definetly!

Haven't tried b2 yet, but so far I have 2 WIP maps that might get in the mod's beta3 (hopefully). ;)

:gj: Dane. This is one mod that definetly makes the game different, and it does that with quality :rock:
Haha thx m8 :tu: But the mod is also progressing the way it does thanks to you and the others who is offering their time to help! If the mod developes as I plan you need not to stress about your two maps - there should be a while to beta3 so they have great chance of getting done to be released with that :rock: (and that also gives you the chance to test if the turorial is right about how to include custom maps in the mapvote menu hehe)
ASLYE702 wrote:I'm very interested about this new mod. In this weekend I test this new mod if I have time, and maybe I made a map for this mod.
And if I not forget I register to your forum Dane. Keep it up mate! :)
If you want to try and map for something new then you should considder giving this a go, I can honestly say that I haven't seen any gamestyle in UT come even close to this one, both gameplay wise but also mapping wise. I hope you'll jump onboard ship :tu:
Radi wrote:That was a quick, Dane :-) you working on this like devil :-P
Yeah, I hard to Work hard on getting the beta2 ready since it has the "spawn engine" rewritten. I will take it a bit slower now and let beta2 be tested thoroughly, so unless beta2 reveals some kind of nasty bug that needs immediately patching then I will be focusing in pepping up the 5 maps I've made so far. :tu:
Retired.
'Zac
Experienced
Personal rank: Who knows.

Post by 'Zac »

So it's like Bloons Tower Defense? Super coolio.
Will this be it's own gametype or will it be a small addon like the Tetris thing?
Overall it seems very fun to play actually, when it comes out I'll give a try!
Prophunt for UT99!!!
Github
TheDane
Masterful

Post by TheDane »

'Zac wrote:So it's like Bloons Tower Defense? Super coolio.
Will this be it's own gametype or will it be a small addon like the Tetris thing?
Overall it seems very fun to play actually, when it comes out I'll give a try!
It's a gamestyle of its own and works like any other (SinglePlayer) gamestyle. I haven't tried the Tetris addon so I can't say how that works?

You shouldn't wait trying this untill it's finished, you should try it now and be part of the making be giving me feedback to make it better :idea:

And like any other gamestyle it only "finished" when noone is actively updating it anymore :tu:
Retired.
'Zac
Experienced

Post by 'Zac »

I played it and it was really cool to see something totally different then what you expect in UT.
For feedback here's what I got...

The F8 Menu was kind of hard to notice at first, took my about 3 rounds to notice and do stuff with it.
You can shoot through the spawn thing, even though I think you can't do anything about it, it's a sheet of BSP.
The faster balloons in the back ' push ' the slower and front balloons ( just a little weird thing I noticed, makes all of the neat lines of balloons a little off )
The first few rounds are boring, you can't do anything for the next 4 - 6 rounds would be a bit better to have enough money in the beginning to buy at least one thing, and then everything build increases balloon amount and types of balloons.
The time between rounds was REALLY short, I need to sacrifice one little red balloon to keep going to build something, instead of when all of the balloons are flooding out.

What I can probably help you with...
The ' POP ' effect is too repetitive and appears to much, I can photoshop some more up with different sayings like Kablam or BOOP or DOP or something, up to you really. Just a little thing to add some more variance.
Take screenshots for the maps and import them into the map so you can see the map in the map browser.
Model a few weapons, maybe one or two. Maybe a model for the arrows, not the enforcer. Like a crossbow. Just an idea that's up to you.

Pretty amazing new gametype I see, it's going along very well!
Prophunt for UT99!!!
Github
TheDane
Masterful

Post by TheDane »

'Zac wrote:I played it and it was really cool to see something totally different then what you expect in UT.
For feedback here's what I got...

The F8 Menu was kind of hard to notice at first, took my about 3 rounds to notice and do stuff with it.
You can shoot through the spawn thing, even though I think you can't do anything about it, it's a sheet of BSP.
The faster balloons in the back ' push ' the slower and front balloons ( just a little weird thing I noticed, makes all of the neat lines of balloons a little off )
The first few rounds are boring, you can't do anything for the next 4 - 6 rounds would be a bit better to have enough money in the beginning to buy at least one thing, and then everything build increases balloon amount and types of balloons.
The time between rounds was REALLY short, I need to sacrifice one little red balloon to keep going to build something, instead of when all of the balloons are flooding out.

What I can probably help you with...
The ' POP ' effect is too repetitive and appears to much, I can photoshop some more up with different sayings like Kablam or BOOP or DOP or something, up to you really. Just a little thing to add some more variance.
Take screenshots for the maps and import them into the map so you can see the map in the map browser.
Model a few weapons, maybe one or two. Maybe a model for the arrows, not the enforcer. Like a crossbow. Just an idea that's up to you.

Pretty amazing new gametype I see, it's going along very well!
Thanks for your feedback!! :tu: Some of the issues have been mentioned at my forums here: https://forum.unrealtournament.info/vie ... f=10&t=219 , I hope you can find time to read up on it there and hopyfully register there and share your thoughts on this project? It's easier for me to keep focus that way :mrgreen:

As for the weapons, yes I've planned to do a complete overhaul on those at some point. Right now the focus is on getting the gameplay optimized and I add fixes and enhancements a little here and a little there. ALL of the feedback I get is read carefully and sorted on my to-do list (it's very very long haha), so eventualy this mod will be completed - not completed as in finished hehe, but completed to the point where the base is solid and it can be released in a version able to be modded and continued without recompiling of the core.

Ehmm back to your feedback....

I've already made it so the player must hit 'Enter' to begin next wave.

The F8 menu is announced on top of the screen by text, what are your proposal for a better announcement? It must not be too dominating as once you've used it the first time you won't need to be notified anymore.

Are you sure the faster balloons push the slower ones? I can't see that myself? they do not collide inbetween?

Yes, the game starts out pretty slow - just like the original BTD game. I think if you get a load of Money to purchase weapons or Towers to begin with, then the first rounds would just become even more boring? The first waves has to be easy so the player can collect Money and get "in the mood" of the map before it gets hectic I think? The first couple of round could be used to follow the balloons and learn their routes to come up with a plan for how to beat the map once the going gets tough?

Screenshots of the maps are in the making, I just haven't prioritized it that much as I've been busy bughunting and optimizing :mrgreen:

Random pop-effects are on the to-do list also ........ currently at #45 on the list :tongue:
Retired.
'Zac
Experienced

Post by 'Zac »

Ok I understand what you're saying, that it actually would be a bit boring with towers and etc in the beginning.
I can do the random pop-effects for you, that list is not going to get any shorter for you ;)
Prophunt for UT99!!!
Github