Collab Mapping #01 - PHASE 3

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!

Which Domination spots shall the map have?

editor Dave01 (where the minigun is)
6%
Myth04 (where the ShockRifle is)
9%
Renegade01 (where the Sniper is)
12%
Myth01 (where the ShockRifle is)
15%
PsyXandeR01 (before the "Access control" door)
9%
GenMoKai02 (where the Flak is)
18%
SzGergo02 (right to the upper area of the excavator, in the small, cubic ancient room)
18%
Myth03 (where the ShieldBelt is)
No votes
Creavion01 (where the ammunition is)
9%
Filipe01 (where the ThighPads are)
6%

Total votes: 34

editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Collab Mapping #01 - PHASE 3

Post by editor Dave »

Finally, I officially introduce

PHASE 3

[quote="Myth"]Finalize the game-play, inventory, bot paths + testing. We decide the music and the name of the map.[/quote]

So, what is to do?
0. Secret room
This is optional. I'd be interested if you find the secret room without looking in the editor. Now it is really hard to access the room (you need another person to open the entrance).

1. Sounds
Not every room has sounds yet. So it would cool if someone could take the job. He adds AmbientSounds at the right places. Also, he controls the sounds of the movers. He adds a sound if necessary. When he is finished he uploads the map, but just with the new actors.

2. Bot paths
Not every room is pathed correctly. And some movers may be not yet bot-friendly. So someone adds apples and maybe SniperSpots and checks if the bots use most of the possible ways and movers.

3. Ideas for improvements
If you notice any bug or have an idea of improvement, please report them. Please bring in yourself as often as possible so we can finish this huge project fast!

4. Gameplay
When 1. and 2. are finished we can make the gameplay ready. We decided to make a both a DOM and a DM map. However, because of the floorplan DOM is more important.

- Domination: We decide together 5 Domination spots. I have started a poll with ten different spots. If you have ideas that are not listed yet, tell them. After that someone adds these to the map and adjustes the items and weapons.

- Deathmatch: Someone works out the best possible item placement for a DM match. He deletes some weapons, Health Vials and Playerstarts, adds ammunition at other places, etc...

When those, who make the gameplay changes, decide that the gameplay is finished we could test the map on JackGriffin's server - as he suggested some time ago.

5. Music
The music zones won't work. That's why we just decide one music track that we all go along with.
Right now Phantom is the background music of the map. I think it fits quite well.
If you don't think so, please suggest other tracks in the mod-format.

6. Name
Please suggest a good title. Creavion already thought of one: DM/DOM-UT99org. If you agree with this title, we could take it immediately.

7. Story
Two people already wrote something about the story. Maybe someone acts the ideas out..? Maybe papercoffee? :D
papercoffee wrote: Years ago Liandri corp. build this underground mine Factory and discovered someday an underground temple near the construction work. Without any regard they destroyed parts of this temple to follow up to build the factory... but some day, the factory was nearly finished, something happened ...The flambeaus of the dead temple were inflamed again... and one after one of the worker died.
Liandri decided to seal the unfinished factory and the curse inside ...The facility was half working but unused and abandon.
Myth wrote: For map story something that makes the most sense is that some corporation built X factory and in year Y there was a huge earthquake. The factory partly collapsed and got somehow mixed up whit Z ruins. In the end Liandri dug it up and renovated it to become another arena for their tournament.
Of course, those who haven't contributed something yet may still participate.

Here are the latest versions of the map.
DM: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=70Z50DX6 [Updated on Wed Aug 10]
DOM: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=P8SR63XQ [Updated on Tue Aug 16]
Last edited by editor Dave on Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:50 pm, edited 8 times in total.
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
SzGergo
Skilled

Re: Collab Mapping #01 - PHASE 3

Post by SzGergo »

I guess you set the player-ghost be able to collide with stuff to prevent finding the secret area.
There is a problem though:
Spectators and players can pick up stuff during preview. And after spawning, they keep those stuffs that was collected in ghost mode.
I guess spectators will be able to take control points too.

As for BSP holes. There are some minors here and there, but there is a truly huge one exists at the lava-pit. As you try to cross those two planks, you will notice it. Besides producing a nasty hom-effect, it affects collision too: there is some invisible ledge you can walk upon without falling into the pit.
Renegade
Adept
Personal rank: Vigilante

Post by Renegade »

Took a quick run around the map. Tricky entrance to the secret room :) It is possible to get in with one person if you're quick. In the newest room, I'm not sure about that deemer position :/ Also, that spotlight has a little bsp hole in it. For the domination points, I think there should definitely be one in Gen's cave and my room, as these kind of serve as the "corners" of the map and are large areas. More detailed response to follow.
GenMoKai
Godlike
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by GenMoKai »

Renegade wrote:Took a quick run around the map. Tricky entrance to the secret room :) It is possible to get in with one person if you're quick. In the newest room, I'm not sure about that deemer position :/ Also, that spotlight has a little bsp hole in it. For the domination points, I think there should definitely be one in Gen's cave and my room, as these kind of serve as the "corners" of the map and are large areas. More detailed response to follow.
Agreed, not because its my part... but its a nice "corner" to place such a thing

@ secret room! nicely done!
EAT THOSE FRIGGIN BANANAS !!!!!
1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

I have to admit thats a really nice map. Surprising complex and a lot of new areas which I have not seen before. All your work was worth the trouble.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
editor Dave
Inhuman

Post by editor Dave »

SzGergo wrote: Spectators and players can pick up stuff during preview. And after spawning, they keep those stuffs that was collected in ghost mode.
I guess spectators will be able to take control points too.
I thought, JackGriffin was about to fix that problem...JackGriffin, can you make a statement, please?
SzGergo wrote: As for BSP holes. There are some minors here and there, but there is a truly huge one exists at the lava-pit. As you try to cross those two planks, you will notice it. Besides producing a nasty hom-effect, it affects collision too: there is some invisible ledge you can walk upon without falling into the pit.
The last two days I tried to fix all obvious BSP holes. I uploaded a new version which should be hole-free. I played two matches in which I didn't notice any. Maybe someone else should look over it again, so that there are really no visible errors.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=70Z50DX6
Renegade wrote:Tricky entrance to the secret room :) It is possible to get in with one person if you're quick.
Not anymore, I changed the elevator speed :tongue:
Renegade wrote: In the newest room, I'm not sure about that deemer position :/
I wanted to make the platform special as it is quite dangerous to reach it. The ones who overthink the gamplay may change the weapons, of course. Do you want to do the DM-map, maybe? :)

@Creavion: I'm glad you liked it. I hope your picture in the secret room is okay :mrgreen:

So guys, as I already wrote, I uploaded a new version of the map. I did not only delete all the Bsp holes but also added sounds to some places and movers and made the pathways at places where there were none and I made the movers bot-friendly. Now the bots can enter the upper area, finally!
However, maybe one of you could look at the paths and correct some if necessary. Or if you find a place where a certain sound could fit, please add it. If you are finished we could go to the gameplay.
So, I'd be glad if there were some volunteers :)

Also, you may still cast your votes in the poll. Apart from me, only four people voted. You may all participate! And remember, you may cast 5 votes ;)
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

me has voted too Señor ...
SzGergo
Skilled

Post by SzGergo »

i suck at playing the game, especially in DOM, so i realy don§t know where should be the best control points.
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

SzGergo wrote:i suck at playing the game, especially in DOM, so i realy don§t know where should be the best control points.
At the edges of the map and the fifth one in the map centre.

If 2 control points are somehow close to each other, powerful weapons and pickups should not be placed near by, otherwise some parts of the map could be ignored by players and/or bots.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
editor Dave
Inhuman

Post by editor Dave »

After having run the pool for one week I decided to place the 5 ControlPoints in the map, but see what happens when you have an HD monitor...
ControlPointFail.jpg
Does anyone know how to fix this (without changing the resolution to 4:3)?
>@tack!<
Adept
Personal rank: lol?

Post by >@tack!< »

change the domination HUD i guess. make the icons smaller when having more of them.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

First I didn't got it ....but then I did read the name "Excavator" ...on the top and remembered we have 5 Control Points... duuuuuh'

Ok this sucks Dave, did it work what @tack mentioned??
editor Dave
Inhuman

Post by editor Dave »

>@tack!< wrote:change the domination HUD i guess. make the icons smaller when having more of them.
That's easier said than done for someone like me who cannot script in any way ^^
In the properties there is no entry for Icon size so a new HUD must be scripted along with a gametype that uses this HUD... Could you maybe do that, please?
>@tack!<
Adept

Post by >@tack!< »

Id like to if noone else will be faster :p, ill pauze my current script and work on this, i never did a hud only hudmutators but ill check it now :).
>@tack!<
Adept

Post by >@tack!< »

k fixed it ill pm you what you have to do since it must be myleveld.
did you get my pm? i dno if i send it.