Unreal Ed 2 performance tip/bug

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Unreal Ed 2 performance tip/bug

Post by Dr.Flay »

WARNING this tip is because of a crappy bug in the editor :x

I've been meaning to post this for a long time, but I keep forgetting. :roll:

For some reason if you have audio enabled in the editor, it eats CPU cycles.
On my PC it constantly sits at around 50% CPU usage, while I am not doing anything. (32bit AMD Athlon 2500)

I have tried changing the audio renderer, but it makes no difference.
I have tried alternative editor setups, including the "2.1 stand-alone edition" and Medor's repackaged distro.

The only way to give the editor all the CPU, is to edit your "UnrealTournament.ini".
Scroll down to the section with the preferences for the editor, and change the "use Audio" option to "False".
Obviously now you will not hear any sounds or music in the editor :( but you can switch it back on when you need it.

"Process Explorer" from Sysinternals is the task manager replacement I used to reveal that the audio-layer in UT was to blame.
Lots of context-switching seems to be happening.
See if yours is the same, and post some percentages and CPU info.
http://www.sysinternals.com
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Re: Unreal Ed 2 performance tip/bug

Post by Creavion »

Not even with my crappiest PCs in the past I have ever had trouble like that. And since I do not belong to these users having a pc as old as the game itself, I have to care even less. :satan:
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

I never heard or experienced this bug myself (and I already loaded up Ued in several different machines). Can't it be your own sound drivers or some issue with that AMD based setup (which was always bad for UT and Ued anyway), and not the actual editor?
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

I never noticed it was even an issue, until I spotted it in "Process Explorer" (task manager will not do).
This is why I would like some feedback from people with different setups.
It could also be an issue with me having nForce2 audio on my Asus board.

Do not assume, because you don't notice that there are odd things going on under the bonnet, that they are not happening !
The CPU waiting between context switching, can be nearly as bad as actually using the CPU for work.

Switching off he audio does not give me 50% more power back, it only stops it waiting for the audio renderer to do it's switching.

:pfff: Creavion you cheeky monkey, UT came out at a time of Pentium 2, and if you were lucky or rich, you could afford one of the new breed of motherboards that went above 500 MHz
(That's when I started using FIC motherboards, as they allowed massive tweaking/overclocking options, and came with a 99 year warranty, and AMD were not trying to stop overclockers, like intel were.)
My "old" 32bit, is not that old :pfff:

I'll post a screenshot of the threads inside UT, when I've been back home.

(I should point out I also have 2 newer 64bit PC's, of which the intel based one is a royal pain in my arse. UT99 runs smoother on my old Asus+XP setup, I run UT24K on the 64bit AMD)
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

I was talking about todays PCs, not the one gamers had 10 years ago.

I started BTW with a Pentium 4 1.4 GHZ, 256 SD Ram and a Riva TNT 2.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

I gotta go with Creavion. Half the complaints at UA are by people with insufficient gear or improperly set up systems (Ima kicked by ACE for timeout, WTF man grumble grumble). If Ued is using half your processor at idle you have something wrong local. By now there would be 100+ threads all over the place if this were common.

Look, if you buy a computer from a church garage sale and it won't run UT perfectly then stop being so cheap and put money into your entertainment.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

I just loaded Ued and checked the CPU usage: 1%.
It's an i7, that's true, but even in other lesser systems (including a P4) I never saw the Ued being pushy on sound processing.
As you mention it, it sounds like a deadlock from something in your system?

<offtopic>
And btw, as for Intel not allowing overclocking, if I was the head of an hardware enterprise I wouldn't want my CPUs to be known as "running hot", "exploding" and "running slow all of sudden" like AMD was and I would have done the same, since "everyone knows how to overclock" (that was sarcasm), but most don't even know what overclocking is and assume they're going to have a super fast system by doing so recklessly, and end up burning out their systems or running extremely hot to the throttling point which slows them down while killing the CPU slowly in months. Most "ignorant" customers will blame the brand and not assume their mistakes openly, thus buying from another cheaper one and not getting back, while not making another overclock or asking someone knowledgeable to do so instead since they don't want to buy yet another one.
I am with Intel in this one, it may suck for you who knows how to take advantage from overclocking, but that way they guarantee their CPU won't burn out easily, thus keeping most customers.
</offtopic>
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

Well the intel is my only second-hand PC. I generally build my own (A warranty on the parts is useful, and I have trade accounts with two of the biggest European importers).

Well I just tried Ued2 on a 3 year old multi-core 1.6GHz intel and it uses even more context switching, and is still peaking at 20% CPU usage, while doing nothing.

For comparison I opened Ued3. 0.01% CPU usage on both PC's

Ued2 AMD 2500 (1800MHz)
AMD
AMD
Ued2 intel 1600MHz
intel
intel
Ued3
Ued3
Ued3
Thank you Ferali for checking, and reporting. That is all I ask. :tu:
To everone else, I want actual FACTS not OPINIONS. Opinions are not really as useful.
Facts that contradict me are also very useful, but if you are just guessing it won't help.
Please use "Process Explorer", or similar.

As for the quality of my old Asus deluxe MoBo, it was top of the line when it was new, and it hasn't all of a sudden become crap. It is just not as fast as my newer boards.

My point about overclocking, was not that I did it (I actually recommend against it) it was a point about MoBo's becoming more flexible and reliable to allow for such things.
Intel made great attempts to stop over-clocking, so Intel MoBos of that era were not made as flexible or robust as the server MoBo's we bought from FIC, to build our PC's. (Show me an intel MoBo with a 99 year warranty :pfff: )
My return rate for the PCs I made at that time was, 1 per year. (I made on average 400 individual custom PC's every year)
I'd challenge any company or other PC shop to beat that !
I am autistic, with OCD issues. I will never build a cheep, crap PC. I would rather cut my fingers off than put my support details in a box of sh*t :agree1:
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Dr.Flay wrote:
To everone else, I want actual FACTS not OPINIONS. Opinions are not really as useful.
That's probably good because I'm sure you wouldn't want my opinion on your condescending attitude. I'll remember to remind you of that when you ask next for someone's opinion on something.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Calm down please (and I mean everyone) !!!
It's not healthy for a discussion to take a statement the wrong way.

For the CPU usage ...do you know Photoshop 6 ?(no not the CS versions)
This cool program (crap of a horse) was always occupying Ram and CPU ...maybe Adobe thought back this days it would be a great thing to run it this way because you could work much faster in PS6 ...but Woe to you who tries to run another program beside PS6 you will reap dilatoriness and crashes.
What I want to say ...back in the days did programs use much CPU.
Like a dog who don't get it when the bowl of food gets bigger he will always eat up the whole content.

And if I am totally wrong ...forget what I did write.
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

JackGriffin wrote:
Dr.Flay wrote:
That's probably good because I'm sure you wouldn't want my opinion on your condescending attitude. I'll remember to remind you of that when you ask next for someone's opinion on something.
Fair enough Jack, I wasn't trying to be a smart-ass, but as I was actually asking for current (right-now) factual reference, based on looking under the bonnet (now), rather than an opinion on whether people feel Ued is performing as it should (I also thought it was, but I was wrong).
The use of CAPS was not an attempt to shout at anyone, but EMPHASISE the importance of the difference in the two.
(I am aware that being autistic makes me come across as very "blunt". I apologise for that)
You are correct in that there would be threads on this if it were common, but the average gamer does not use Windows replacement tools, so never knows or looks, so how would they ask if they never noticed?
I know enough to see a potential problem, and a work-around, and post it.

Anyway, did you look? and what is the result? You have not said.
As I said all feedback including opposite to my experience is valid.
The more actual verifiable info the better.

*EDIT*
Grumbling, removed for PM

And thankyou Ferali :tu:

*EDIT*
And also thankyou Papercoffee for being Dad, and giving us a slap.

I have been testing Ued on every intel PC I can (I put the standalone 2.1 version on a USB stick).
Interesting results so far, with the least CPU use and context switching, on the cheapest/crappest laptop !
Very mixed results, but all much better than my old faithful :( so no my PC with XP is not ideal for Ued 2
But all so far are hammering the cycles for no good reason that I can see (whereas Ued 3 always sits happily at 0.01%) with 20% being the highest.

NOTE
If this is an issue with the sound layer, rather than Ued, then the sound system may be actually robbing valuable CPU cycles, un-noticed from the main engine during gameplay (All CPU cycles, no matter how few are a precious thing, and not to be wasted).
Not much can be done about that, but I think it is still useful to know.

I will try some tests, rendering video to "null" and see if UT itself is being slowed on my PC.
The biggest recent impact on performance I have is using an ATI card on an nVidia bus (I think they no like each-other), UT, and 2K4 are both slower than they were with a less powerful nVidia card ! :mad2: So maybe that's the issue even.
I am more than aware of the random nature of different hardware mixes (Toms Hardware is my bible).
Radi
Adept

Post by Radi »

hmmm Im just dig up this thread. Im always wondering why UED eat my CPU too much even if pc is restarted and UED just turned with empty viewports.. Im bumping this thread a little because newbie mappers can find this more easily. So, after turning Audio to off like mentioned in first post, UED runs calmly without eating too much of resourses . thats great :)
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

It still makes UEd so much faster for me.
When I switch it back on now, it uses even more CPU (70-80%)
Still no idea what causes it :(