Postal 2 Maps To UT99

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
ASLY

Postal 2 Maps To UT99

Post by ASLY »

Possible convert Postal 2 maps to UT99?
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Re: Postal 2 Maps To UT99

Post by JackGriffin »

I've dealt with the guys at RunningWithScissors.com and they are a very rowdy bunch. Damn guys tricked me into thinking they were going to cease and desist me for using the gopostals.com site(they own gopostal.com) but it was just a big joke from the owner. He's a really good guy too, gave me permission to use the postal babes (which I couldn't because the mesh wouldn't import correctly :( ) for my dancing girls stuff at the end of MH2 maps. You ought to talk to them and get permissions first since they are an independent group and control their own stuff.

And yes, it's possible. Just be nice and respectful when you discuss permissions. It helped quite a lot that I could point to a long history of making things and offering support. Clearly outline what you would like to do and always keep in mind you are wanting to use someone else's product. I always try to include something in it too honoring the people giving me permission. Here's an example:
Shot0019.jpg
This is from an adult mod I was working on so the dancing girls are heavily obscured. See where I added the RWS tile above the player for them letting me use the code? Other developers that work in the for-profit part of gaming love that stuff and free advertising is always a bonus. When you can present them with "Hey, here's a screenshot of what I would like to do" and it shows obvious respect for their work it goes a long way towards bridging that gap.

I did this because they use their logo a lot in this way. From their site (as an example):
So long, and thanks for all the fish
ASLY

Post by ASLY »

I hope for it well i interpreted it, small speak English :)
I want to ask permission for this map and discuss that because it is important to me and i want to playing this
BTW I Dont know how import/export this maps, because dont have brushes
My idea is making a big cube, intersect, export/import
Simple: http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/499/intersect.png
And Postal2 editor: http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/2149/postal2map.jpg
Maybe Nephew know how import this maps, he convert some UT2K4 maps, skins:
I would be glad if somebody would be able to help :)
bitbasher
Novice

Post by bitbasher »

The simple answer it Yes ,But postal 2 used the unreal engine2 so the maps are like 89% static meshes
You will need to do a massive amount of ripping and converting to get those meshes to work in UT AFAIK, then reimport them all and re write the t3d level exports to reimport the new resources after export level ( or copy) from p2 > import into ut. Its Waaaay toooo much work to get all the meshes imported.and thats if you do it the easy way and dont go crazxy attempting to make them vertex or skeletal meshes...

I wanted to do this for unreal 227 a year or so ago but totally gave up as it takes like like 15 - 30 minutes per mesh and each map has mabye 300 meshes in it . also you cant simply intersect the map as it will result in a bsp issues likly .
If you do eventully do it and it works i wouldnt mind seeing it tho...
ASLY

Post by ASLY »

Thanks the reply :)
Time is not problem, what a program need to ripping and converting?
I wanna try it!
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

Try umodel
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
bobisunreal
Novice

Post by bobisunreal »

i decided that this was worth attempting , if for nothing else but the luls
this is what happened it took me 12 hours to port the timb_mesh package partail enought for in use assets , and another 2 hours for the zo_industry models.
bsp imported mostly corectly . lighing imported as garbage.and everyt hing needs to be placed manually

UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:ah a single player map! I always wanted to play postal 2 in coop mode!
ASLY

Post by ASLY »

billybill wrote:ah a single player map! I always wanted to play postal 2 in coop mode!
Yes, would be really good. And I still think it's possible to convert maps to UT99.
There is a map ONS-Torlan which is from UT2K4 and converted to UT99. It's looks bigger than the Postal 2 map, I made 2 pictures just check it.
And the terrain looks similar if you check better the pictures. I think there will be not much error in the converting. Sadly I don't know how to convert.
About the permission, I think somebody from RWS kindly give permission for this project. http://runningwithscissors.com/

Image Image
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

A Torlan import is going to run into the hard coded visual distance limit of UT99 sadly. It will ruin the whole map with HOM's once you get on top of one of the ridges.
So long, and thanks for all the fish