MH-2ndTry[EG]Zeta

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

MH-2ndTry[EG]Zeta

Post by EvilGrins »

This is an edit of a map by [SPG]RIFFRAFF.

As most people play MH with some form of health/ammo regenerator, there is no ammo anywhere on this map.

First off, why Zeta? An initial release of a map, let out for testing purposes, is usually called a Beta. Thing is this is an edit of an existing map, MH-FirstTry[SPG], which may have had a Beta of its own once upon a time. So, I went another way.

This map is mostly done. There's a few more things I wanna do to it but this one doesn't need those to be played. I just want people to play it and then get back to me and tell me everything that's wrong with it. I'm sure there's like 1 or 2 or 300 things at most.

This is a 16 room map, 2 floors of 8 rooms, one level above another, with a separate room for the bosses and the exit. I mostly play MH-FirstTry[SPG] on Killerbee's server but I've seen it on a couple others. The weapons the original map didn't seem sufficient. A sniper rifle and a really warped redeemer with a rainbow attack.

I replaced the sniper rifes with 2 versions of M16's. I replaced the redeemer with DeemerFireworks. The original only had weapons in the starting room, which is mostly true here except I placed an extra DeemerFireworks near the end of the map.

At the suggestion of another, I reduced the lighting. Each room used to have 6 torches for lighting, now there's 2.

I swapped out the pupae for predators.
I swapped out the defensors for warlord hunters.
I was tempted to swap the brutes projectiles with instagib blasts... but didn't.

Saving that for another map.

There are creature factories on the 1st floor only. For predators, krall, brutes, and warlord hunters.

The original didn't have any music, now it does. Kind of a pet peeve of mine. Unless you've got your music volume really high it's not that loud.

The last time I suggested a strategy for a map edit of mine, MH-AvP][, someone nearly tore my head off. You know who you are. Anyway, going to risk it again. If you're going to play this map online with other people then you can choose to ignore this, teamwork negates the need somewhat. I would suggest you play this map without any mutator or anything that prevents the monsters from fighting each other. The predators especially, are very handy to lead to other rooms there are monsters in so they can eat them...

...having played this map enough times on my own I can tell you that if the monsters aren't fighting each other you're, in a word, screwed.

Usual Suspects:
.umx goes in /music
.unr goes in /maps
.u goes in /system

Stuff for the final version:
- I edited the DeemerFireworks to respawn every 10 seconds. I can't figure out how to disable the music feature, it plays one of two American ballads when you pick it up and then fire it.
- I wanna eventually put bot pathing on this map, at the moment they stick to the starting room unless they're following players. Ideally as much for my own usage when I'm not playing online, as well as others that similarily don't always hit up the servers for their UT fix.

Problems
- There's a tiny glitch with the predators, that only acts up once in awhile. I can play this map 15 times or more without it ever coming up.
- The Warlord Hunters are a little too tough and once you encounter them, they will follow you relentlessly.

Ready?
http://www.mediafire.com/?rgqmdc4cg0cn433
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Red_Fist
Godlike

Re: MH-2ndTry[EG]Zeta

Post by Red_Fist »

It says it can't find "monsterhunt1"
Binary Space Partitioning
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Red_Fist wrote:It says it can't find "monsterhunt1"
You have to install "monster hunt" to play this map.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Ya I have for years "monsterhunt" not "monsterhunt1"
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

papercoffee wrote:
Red_Fist wrote:It says it can't find "monsterhunt1"
You have to install "monster hunt" to play this map.
I just assumed that was a given.
Oops.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Red_Fist wrote:Ya I have for years "monsterhunt" not "monsterhunt1"
Ah ok ...make sense.

Next time if made for a certain mod should the mapper maybe tell for which release/version number this map is.
That's the reason why I stick to the default game types, whenever I map for UT.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I still need the file though file(s) I did a quick search but a .u isn't found real quick, got a bunch of other google search stuff
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

papercoffee wrote:
Red_Fist wrote:Ya I have for years "monsterhunt" not "monsterhunt1"
Ah ok ...make sense.

Next time if made for a certain mod should the mapper maybe tell for which release/version number this map is.
That's the reason why I stick to the default game types, whenever I map for UT.
Thing is, I don't have a monsterhunt1. I have the original download of MH, that came out WAY back when.

I'll look into this when I get home but I can't account for why his system is going on about a monsterhunt1.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

No, check your files, I have about everything installed.There is one other version of MH that I can think of.OR you have that version with the source code.

I was thinking of making a copy and just rename my mh. u file, but that is not a thing to do to correct a problem until I know WTF files I need too play the map.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Red_Fist wrote:No, check your files, I have about everything installed.
The problem isn't on my end. There is no MonsterHunt1 file anywhere on my harddrive.

Are you sure you don't have it on your computer? If that file is causing a file conflict it's gotta be on your system because the map doesn't have anything like it on it or connected to it.

So far you're the only one that expressed this issue, I posted this to a number of forums that use MH.

This is the version of MH I have:
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Hmm I will double check, I will report back.

OK other MH maps run

log
Warning: Failed to load 'Monsterhunt1': Can't find file for package 'Monsterhunt1'
Warning: Failed to load 'MH-2ndTry[EG]Zeta': Can't find file for package 'Monsterhunt1'
Warning: Failed to load 'Texture MH-2ndTry[EG]Zeta.Screenshot': Can't find file for package 'Monsterhunt1'
Warning: Failed to load 'Monsterhunt1': Can't find file for package 'Monsterhunt1'
Warning: Failed to load 'MH-2ndTry[EG]Zeta': Can't find file for package 'Monsterhunt1'
Warning: Failed to load 'LevelSummary MH-2ndTry[EG]Zeta.LevelSummary': Can't find file for package 'Monsterhunt1'
ScriptWarning: MonsterHuntRules Transient.MonsterHuntRules0 (Function MonsterHunt.MonsterHuntRules.Created:000C)
It must be some file calling for that filename, I copied over the files, predator.u is different so I checked to make sure it was the one in your zip being used.Still didn't work, the only thing I can think of is there is some mod I don't have.

Soooo, I renamed monsterhunt.u into the monsterhunt1.u and then is says needs "monsterhunt.All"
I am using UT99 all other maps work
Last edited by Red_Fist on Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

This is very confusing and I don't know what to tell you, other than no one else has reported this issue so far and I certainly don't have a monsterhunt1 file to have started this whole thing to begin with...

...unless monsterhunt1 is a texture file. I didn't check those. Seeing as you just installed MonsterHunt, as opposed to others that've had MH for years and have a whole bunch of random files that didn't come with the initial release. Something else to check when I get off work.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I have had MH installed for a long time, well my current UT directory since UT's last install was nov 2009, so I had MH on shortly after.I still think it's some other file or mod I don't have, not the monsterhunt.u

9.30 GB (9,987,821,222 bytes)
5,260 Files, 34 Folders

is all the stuff in my UT99 directory.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Okay, got it. there is a monsterhunt1 and it is a texture file. The other dozen or so folks that played this map so far must already have had it.

Skim down and get it from here · http://pacoguilbert.fr/redirection/
Is that doesn't work, try this place · http://aceflex.biz/uz/

Other maps that had this issue:
http://www.unrealadmin.org/forums/showp ... ostcount=6

http://www.unrealfuzz.com/forums/viewto ... p=180#p180

I'll be sure to include that with the final.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

got it, the first link wouldn't let me save target as, the second link worked, and now the map works.

What are we supposed to be testing for again ?

Looks like they took the mover thing from boom boy MH-ataa2-fix that is one of the most awesome spam maps of all time.

I would just skip that file and MyLevel the textures there is only 5 or 6 textures.