To use other image for skybox

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

To use other image for skybox

Post by Chamberly »

Something new for me. At first when I saw these skybox picture, I don' know how you could add them to the skybox.

This is a large picture. http://oi58.tinypic.com/2dlj4vq.jpg

Now DeluxeOrgasm aka Slut (ignore me, this is his silly name haha) told me that he was trying to edit the image and put them in 1024x1024 sizes... then I was like OHHHHHH.... :loool:

Then I did this: http://i.gyazo.com/62cfed76566b9a0b3d2c957ae3f817e8.png
Pic is still large.

Finished project: https://www.mediafire.com/?4wh8otyiyse3h60
^I think it is broken so I am not sure what I did wrong to edit these picture to make it work.
I just get a crash. Probably because I guess we can't use texture larger than 256x256.
Spoiler

Code: Select all

Critical: WriteTexture
Critical: UD3D9RenderDevice::SetTexture
Critical: UD3D9RenderDevice::RenderPassesExec
Critical: UD3D9RenderDevice::DrawComplexSurface
Critical: URender::DrawFrame
Log: URender::DrawWorld anomaly
Critical: UD3D9RenderDevice::SetTexture
Critical: UD3D9RenderDevice::DrawTile
Critical: UCanvas::WrappedPrint
Critical: (Tournament DeathMatch)
Critical: UCanvas::execDrawText
Critical: (ChallengeHUD Autoplay.ChallengeHUD0 @ Function Botpack.ChallengeHUD.DisplayProgressMessage : 0259)
Critical: UObject::ProcessEvent
Critical: (TFemale2 Autoplay.TFemale0, Function Engine.PlayerPawn.PostRender)
Critical: UGameEngine::Draw
Critical: UWindowsViewport::Repaint
Critical: UWindowsClient::Tick
Critical: ClientTick
Critical: UGameEngine::Tick
Critical: UpdateWorld
Critical: MainLoop
Exit: Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
Exit: Executing UWindowsClient::ShutdownAfterError
Exit: UGalaxyAudioSubsystem::ShutdownAfterError
Log: DirectDraw End Mode
Exit: UD3D9RenderDevice::ShutdownAfterError
Exit: Exiting.
Uninitialized: Name subsystem shut down
Uninitialized: Log file closed, 07/29/14 20:42:09
So I edited the pictures, to 256x256, and saved as bmp, and that worked. Hmm?

Do anyone have any other ways to use these kind of picture?
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Re: To use other image for skybox

Post by JackGriffin »

You can use larger than 256 but remember it needs to be squared. You can use the Swedish-flag looking first pic just fine. Once you import it then just apply the texture to each panel of the skybox, moving it to the corresponding 'square' of the texture you want to use. Am I making sense to you? I might need to map a demonstration.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
ASLY

Post by ASLY »

You can use this texture size in UnrealEd: 2x2 > 4x4 > 8x8 > 16x16 > 32x32 > 64x64 > 128x128 > 256x256 > 512x512 > 1024x1024 > 2048x2048 etc.
Chamberly
Godlike

Post by Chamberly »

Jack, I get what you are talking about.
Aslye, I'm aware of those numbers lol.

But what I'm confused is... why did I crash, using 1024x1024 pcx texture?
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Some renderers can't handle those :(
Btw, I think non-squared textures can be imported too (I know I can import a 2x256 texture for example).
Radi
Adept

Post by Radi »

Texture dimension must be a power of 2. 512x16, 1024x256 etc is allowed, just make sure that your renderer has enabled 'use SCTC' or something like that in .ini
To be honest I never loaded bigger texture than 512*512 in UEd 2.0 .. I have no reason for that :-P
Chamberly
Godlike

Post by Chamberly »

I think that's what is up. I usually use d3d9 on my pc, opengl on my laptop. Therefore I do remember I have SCTC false since I thought they stands for S3TC or something with those realistic textures that I'm not interested in. lol I'll change that setting in d3d9 and see.
ASLY

Post by ASLY »

Chamberly wrote:I think that's what is up. I usually use d3d9 on my pc, opengl on my laptop. Therefore I do remember I have SCTC false since I thought they stands for S3TC or something with those realistic textures that I'm not interested in. lol I'll change that setting in d3d9 and see.
UnrealTournament.ini > CTRL+F > [D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice] > UseS3TC=True
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

UnrealGecko wrote:Some renderers can't handle those :(
Btw, I think non-squared textures can be imported too (I know I can import a 2x256 texture for example).
They can but one must be a multiple of the other if they are not the same size. It's way better though to keep them squared off or in a 1:2 ratio. The way textures get clamped is not well done and the edges often bleed some. Mostly you never notice it but in great big skyboxes it really stands out quickly as an ugly seam in the sky.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Chamberly
Godlike

Post by Chamberly »

ASLYE702 wrote:
Chamberly wrote:I think that's what is up. I usually use d3d9 on my pc, opengl on my laptop. Therefore I do remember I have SCTC false since I thought they stands for S3TC or something with those realistic textures that I'm not interested in. lol I'll change that setting in d3d9 and see.
I'm aware of this, but I'm not interested to use that. Thanks...
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Chamberly wrote:
ASLYE702 wrote:
Isn't it, that when you doesn't have installed the S3TC textures, even though you activate this line in your ini, will UT use the default ones?
Chamberly
Godlike

Post by Chamberly »

papercoffee wrote:
Chamberly wrote:
ASLYE702 wrote:
Isn't it, that when you doesn't have installed the S3TC textures, even though you activate this line in your ini, will UT use the default ones?
From the look of it, it is calling for it. I would never go for these trouble maker. :loool:
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

The size of texture you can use is limited by which renderer you use, not any of the switches.
Simply using any of the new renderers should allow big textures.
Unless you imported it as a DDS texture or used a newer UEd to compress the texture during import, the S3TC switch will not help in any renderer.

Yes Paper that is correct.
Enabling UT to use compressed textures only makes any difference if you actually have some to use anyway. It cannot make normal textures faster or smaller.
Enabling it, if you don't have any, will not do anything.
This is the same as enabling/disabling PNG, in Photoshop, but not actually having any PNGs anyway.
Some GFX drivers actually let you force all textures to be compressed to the GFX card during loading. The price of the slight delay is a faster game.

BTW. being S3TC compressed does not actually make them look "better", it just works faster and saves system RAM.
Once textures are stored in the GFX card, all HW effects can be done natively on the card, without handing back and forth between the CPU and GPU, GPU RAM and SYS RAM.
S3TC textures often look better because people often take advantage of smaller files, and simply use much larger textures.

Mostly skyboxes should be of a decent size, because it will be scaled up to stretch across your map (unless your skybox is the same size as the map).
a 256x256 picture stretched across a map of often a few thousand units will not look very nice, that is why people make large textures for large areas, unless they have a perfect tilable texture, that does not look stipey.