Fog Question

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Re: Fog Question

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Radi wrote:This can easily be done in 227.
Before someone (FFVII) asks... 227 patch is for Unreal, not Unreal Tournament. Just to avoid confusion :tu:
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Yes, you can script it so that fog is turned on for people when they play your map then turned off when they quit/leave/stop playing. It can even be done per-zone or area. That's the good news, now the bad...If you do this you could hard crash certain players. Fog is rendered in a unique way natively and can cause ugly problems with certain driver/card setups. Most everyone has it turned off anyway so you don't see these problems but if you go forcing it then it can't be avoided.

This is just not a good idea. I'd find another way to create the atmosphere you want.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

JackGriffin wrote:This is just not a good idea. I'd find another way to create the atmosphere you want.
papercoffee wrote: Maybe a mutator, which alters the POV in special zones and adds a foggy texture to your FOV.
This could be interesting ...because you could maybe also manipulate the bot-behavior in that mutator, 'cause the default fog is not visible/noticeable for bots.

But who will code something like this... ?
Any taker? Image
What do think?
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

Radi wrote:This can easily be done in 227.
Yes, 227 provides more efficient zone fog.

Funny effect you have on the screenshot. It reminds me of old N64 games for some reason... That might be because so much fog washes out the colours on the textures, something many games of that era had going.
You must construct additional pylons.