Fog Question

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
FFVII
Novice

Fog Question

Post by FFVII »

I asked this same question on another place,but they said here would be better so... Ctrl+C > Ctrl+V...

I had a map in mind,halfway finished,and i want to know is there's anyway to force the fog to be on,i know you can deactivate the fog in the rendering options and that software rendering makes players 100% visible on the fog,so,is there anyway to fix it? and please,don't just say remove the fog :P ,if you say remove the fog,then explain me why please,ok?
Radi
Adept

Re: Fog Question

Post by Radi »

Hi :-)
First of all who use software rendering nowadays ? We have nice renderers with modern hardware support. Fog is good, you can use it sparringly because it seriously affect performance, even today - it is an old engine. And keep in mind that if you use a fog somewhere in a zone, then no decals from weapons will be visible.
For fog you need two actors, one ZoneInfo and under its properties found bFogZone and set this to True, place normal light somewhere in that zone and in its properties under 'Lighting' there are 3 tabs with Ambient word (sorry not in home right now), these are for fog tweaking. You can set fog color just like when do a normal light. Remember to rebuild map to take changes, and keep in mind that fog is visible only when player is within given zone so you must construct your map so fog do not pop out on view instanty. Someone? He needs good fog tutorial :-P
PS: your nick refer to legendary RPG game ?
FFVII
Novice

Post by FFVII »

I know how to make fog,i just wanted to know if there was a way to force it to be on,so some players dont get advantage over others at long distances,also:
Radi wrote:PS: your nick refer to legendary RPG game ?
Yep
Radi
Adept

Post by Radi »

Oh :-D so I dont know how to force it, sorry. . I just lowly mapper
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Hi FFVII, nice to see you here. ;)

I wonder if forcing it to be on could be done via uScript?
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Don't think it can be done, but would seem more logical to embed a coded mutator in the map rather than trying to block a user setting through other means.

I don't even know about mutators if they can be placed in a map or not.

Then everything stays the same (defaults) but turning on fog once that map is loaded.
Binary Space Partitioning
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

It depends on the render and can't be forced without messing with the user ini ...what I highly disapprove.
Don't mess with the clients ini. end of discussion.

Well not really "end of discussion" maybe is there someone with a mutator which enable something similar like the hard coded render based fog.
Chamberly
Godlike

Post by Chamberly »

Well, he does not mean to make any change against anyone's system. It just the map must have the fog, otherwise, it's considered cheating... :P rofl. So the map must have the fog.

I just have an idea. You know those skybox that have clouds? Why not use those as fog? Just add a sheet/layers within certain distance maybe... and make sure it is set to move around like it's a real fog maybe. Those has never to be turned off, afaik.

But 1 thing, if someone have the black thing instead of transparency, then... that's the problem from the client because of their set up for their renders in ut.ini.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Chamberly wrote:Well, he does not mean to make any change against anyone's system. It just the map must have the fog, otherwise, it's considered cheating... :P rofl. So the map must have the fog.

I just have an idea. You know those skybox that have clouds? Why not use those as fog? Just add a sheet/layers within certain distance maybe... and make sure it is set to move around like it's a real fog maybe. Those has never to be turned off, afaik.

But 1 thing, if someone have the black thing instead of transparency, then... that's the problem from the client because of their set up for their renders in ut.ini.
The problem with this sheets is ...they are 2 dimensional. And he needs something with volume.
Maybe a mutator, which alters the POV in special zones and adds a foggy texture to your FOV.
This could be interesting ...because you could maybe also manipulate the bot-behavior in that mutator, 'cause the default fog is not visible/noticeable for bots.

But who will code something like this... ?
Any taker? Image
Chamberly
Godlike

Post by Chamberly »

papercoffee wrote:
Chamberly wrote:Well, he does not mean to make any change against anyone's system. It just the map must have the fog, otherwise, it's considered cheating... :P rofl. So the map must have the fog.

The problem with this sheets is ...they are 2 dimensional. And he needs something with volume.
Maybe a mutator, which alters the POV in special zones and adds a foggy texture to your FOV.
This could be interesting ...because you could maybe also manipulate the bot-behavior in that mutator, 'cause the default fog is not visible/noticeable for bots.
Ok. Well for the bots, probably an idea if they are in the zone with some edited script (unless it's implemented in the mutator, which is fine) as it should turn the bots accurately down a bit, less jumpy (if it's on high), etc....
But who will code something like this... ?
Any taker? Image
Oh god... I'm gonna RUN! :loool:
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:I like the idea. There's got to be a way to bypass the ability to turn it off, like replace the fog with some other type of effect. As for bot support, you'd have to have an actor that changes the bot's alertness or one of those settings. I see bots wandering aimlessly all the time as if they are blind until you pop up right in front of them, therefor I'm sure this is possible too

I can't say I know the graphic renderer settings to turn it on and off. I mean, I know I have D3D10 on two seperate installs on two seperate computers and one I can barely play maps like DM-Fetid on because I'm blinded by fog. I could swear they use the exact same setting, so I'll shrug my shoulders at this one. There's TNSe's renderer too which was the first one and still the only one to put a toggle for distance fog on all maps
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

How much fog are you after ?
It is best to use fog in a well zoned area, so it is more controllable and adds less lag.

The "The Complete Unreal Ed Reference Guide" has 3 fog tutorials.
http://www.oldunreal.com/wiki/index.php?title=Tutorials
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Wait a minute, don't making a light have fog always stay, not zone lighting.?

Never tested Fetid, if they force fog there then that's the map to check out.
Binary Space Partitioning
FFVII
Novice

Post by FFVII »

Chamberly wrote:I just have an idea. You know those skybox that have clouds? Why not use those as fog?
I don't know lol
Dr.Flay wrote:How much fog are you after ?
It is best to use fog in a well zoned area, so it is more controllable and adds less lag.
Erm,i kinda tested ingame now and it was laggy,i think i'll abandon this idea/map...
Radi
Adept

Post by Radi »

This can easily be done in 227.