= The 512kb MAPPING CONTEST discussion !! =

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: = Ideas for a new MAPPING CONTEST !! =

Post by papercoffee »

TheDane wrote:There is no reason to limit the filesize if there is going to be a list of exceptions? if the limit is 512k then all custom content should be myleveled.
^This
FraGnBraG wrote:so, do y'all think paperCoffee should be forced to make a smallish contest graphic that we have to include some where in our map(s) with 512K of room a small image shouldn't hurt?
I can try it. ;)
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

It would probably be a good idea to state clearly something like "any package used in your map that is not included in a list of files on a patched 436 installation (with official bonus packs) must be myleveled and thus count towards total map size". I did a quick google and surprisingly I did not find a page showing the default file list for such an installation. If you'd like I can make one and paste it back here? Seems like there's some ambiguity about what file is default and what isn't. I'd make it really clear so it ends the confusion.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
'Zac
Experienced
Personal rank: Who knows.

Post by 'Zac »

So is it final? the 666K Map Size Contest?
Yaayy
Please change title of thread please!
Prophunt for UT99!!!
Github
KingJosh
Skilled

Post by KingJosh »

'Zac wrote:So is it final? the 666K Map Size Contest?
Yaayy
Please change title of thread please!
i assume this is joke ? lol :lol2:

its a 512kb contest zac
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

Okay so an admin (i'm guessin) will make a thread for the contest, with a first post listing the rules etc.

Also, the maps should be named like these examples: CTF-512K-MapName.unr, DM-512K-MapName.unr, etc
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

This is probably as close as we get to an official GOTY list of contents
http://liandri.beyondunreal.com/Unreal_Tournament
Someone made a batch file I reposted here http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=33& ... 094#p49094
Not sure if it is full GOTY though, as I can't see the Rocket Arena or Chaos files, but it will make a good basic reference for most people.
I say we allow the resources from CD2, as that is part of a legitimate paid for package.
People with GOTY that do not have Chaos and RA, normally have a pirate copy.

Just to make sure everyone is clear
Only the actual map filename.unr is limited to 512k (No crafty *.UZ compression).

Adding BSP geometry is economical, but adding decorations is not as economical as you may expect.
Using external resources will still make the *.unr file bigger
UEd 2.1 has an extra useful "Optimise level" function that removes unused actors and removes the brushes.

If you are going to MyLevel any custon textures then you may want to try these 2 tools
http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t ... 000#p56000
Alternatively you could use the advanced optimisers available in "RIOT" Radical Image Optimization Tool
http://luci.criosweb.ro/riot/
3 extra CLI optimisers can be used with it, and it will try to fetch them when you first use them.

To make low-quality textures look a bit better, you can add a transparent "detail texture" from the default packs.
Look at the properties of the default wall and floor textures for examples.

Finally if you have the space left or are feeling flash and want to show-off, I have 9 good UMX files at under 100k (5 of them under 50k)
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

'Zac wrote:Please change title of thread please!
Hope papercoffee won't mind..... :mrgreen:
papercoffee wrote:
TheDane wrote:There is no reason to limit the filesize if there is going to be a list of exceptions? if the limit is 512k then all custom content should be myleveled.
^This
:thuup: Agreed!

@Time limit: Hmm... I guess 2 months is good.

Better get your :BBCube: ready, guys, because I just got a nice idea for a layout (finally) :P
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

UnrealGecko wrote:
'Zac wrote:Please change title of thread please!
Hope papercoffee won't mind..... :mrgreen:
I don't...

Ok, we will put a thread with all information together... I think the first of October is a good start date.
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Re: = The 512kb MAPPING CONTEST discussion !! =

Post by Carbon »

Well again, just for the record, I will send a big box unopened copy of Totally Unreal to the winner.
TheDane
Masterful
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Post by TheDane »

Carbon wrote:Well again, just for the record, I will send a big box unopened copy of Totally Unreal to the winner.
Sadly I never ever win anything in a contest haha .... but with this prize I'll considder paying off the judges :loool:
Retired.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

I think 1st of October is good. So it should end on 1st of December if we plan on making it a 2 month contest?
Ok so now we need to discuss what gametypes should be allowed. I was thinking maybe All Default (AS,CTF,DOM,DM) + maybe 1 custom gametype allowed (so far the choices range to BunnyTrack-BT,MonsterHunt-MH,Jailbreak-JB and Pop Them Friggin' Balloons-PB.)
TheDane
Masterful
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Post by TheDane »

UnrealGecko wrote:I think 1st of October is good. So it should end on 1st of December if we plan on making it a 2 month contest?
Ok so now we need to discuss what gametypes should be allowed. I was thinking maybe All Default (AS,CTF,DOM,DM) + maybe 1 custom gametype allowed (so far the choices range to BunnyTrack-BT,MonsterHunt-MH,Jailbreak-JB and Pop Them Friggin' Balloons-PB.)
I vote for default gamestyles only. BT and JB is not in my install - it could be installed easily, but since it's two gamestyle I've only played a Little (BT none) I'm not going to be able to judge them as fair as the default gamestyles. MonsterHunt I know quite well, my Pop Ballons mod is out of the question as it's still in beta stages and only Jack,you and me knows how to map for it at this point - the mapping tutorial on my website should however make it easy - but still.......

With default v436 GOTY version is also opens the door for Rocket Arena and Chaos maps?
Retired.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

RA involves making 5 small maps in 1, so probably not a good idea (though may work for a collaboration map)
Indeed, I think as we already agreed to stick with GOTY as the base requirements, it should limit it to the default game types.
Either using the Chaos mode or mutator will swap the weapons, so "Chaos" maps are not limited to Chaos matches.
Same for Rocket Arena assets. Just because you don't make an RA map, does not stop you using the textures and sounds etc.

Mutators can add a game mode into an existing mode, so if you have the space you may be able to MyLevel it. I doubt you will find many that small though :(
Darkmatch maybe, or one of the old monster mods that uses the standard monsters ?
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Sooooooo ...I'm working on the Batch and it's low kb versions.
What do you think?
official Batch.
official Batch.
16kb
16kb
4kb
4kb
UT99org-512K-contest-2014_.png (4.69 KiB) Viewed 1834 times
1,5kb
1,5kb
UT99org-512K-contest-2014__.png (1.54 KiB) Viewed 1834 times