= The 512kb MAPPING CONTEST discussion !! =

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Re: = Ideas for a new MAPPING CONTEST !! =

Post by FraGnBraG »

papercoffee wrote:OK ...it's set then ... the 666k Contest because UT99.org is so heavily metal. :mrgreen:
Theme is free to choose ...game types should be nothing too exotic.
I will cancel the vote now.
well hopefully the "666" is not going to be off-putting so some people (just suggesting there could be religious fraggers around that might object to devilly stuff, the same way there's christian music/metal and such...

i think i actually prefer the round number sizes 300, 400, 500, 600 etc but maybe that's just me :D
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Uhm ...yes, but since when was UT not stuffed with satanic symbols?
Many maps in MH use the Hell or Satan theme. :noidea
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Heck, look at the windows of DM-Gothic and DM-Tutorial, those not covered up ladies you see are devils! :wtf:
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Oh and another nerdy value of 720k comes in late !
...too late.
hehe, 667, the goofy map with an over-bite.
With 666 we get Halloween shoe-horned in to every map, no matter what it is :D

Mind you, I wouldn't have said UT is stuffed with "satanic" symbols, but Hell and demonic imagery are common to all cultures.
Same in DooM, you go into "Hell" but it is not the Christian hell.
In the Unreal universe, we tend to get Nali-hell.
I wonder what Skaarj hell is like ? That must be worse than any normal hell.

Anyway, all that aside don't forget external resources don't count to the size, but that still limits you to the standard files.
This will also make them look better for people with the hi-res replacements :tu:
Path-nodes add more size to a map than makes any sense, so if you do path, you will have to be very careful :(
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

If you choose 666 you are going to offend long-time people. Groups like team CoN and guys like S9 have been great promoters of anything that keeps UT alive and they have weekly Bible studies in their teamspeak. Choosing that number because it seems cool then ignoring how patently offensive a fairly decent sized part of active playership would deem it...not really inclusive if that's your intent. 666 is just a number but it speaks towards confirmation of something that ought to be more neutral.

I'm not bandwagon-riding either. Satanic symbolism, whether overt or not, has no place in this game. Not because of religious reasoning but because it's just offensive in the same way I would never release a "kill-the-female" gametype or call a Frenchman a 'frog' on the forum. I had this same discussion a while back with waff over EXU2 Batshit Insane. I thought the mod was great but I immediately uninstalled it because the symbolism was just way over the top offensive to me.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

FraGnBraG wrote:
papercoffee wrote:OK ...it's set then ... the 666k Contest because UT99.org is so heavily metal. :mrgreen:
Theme is free to choose ...game types should be nothing too exotic.
I will cancel the vote now.
well hopefully the "666" is not going to be off-putting so some people (just suggesting there could be religious fraggers around that might object to devilly stuff, the same way there's christian music/metal and such...

i think i actually prefer the round number sizes 300, 400, 500, 600 etc but maybe that's just me :D
That includes me, Christian or not, it's disgusting.

Sure I been around, but the same applies to the devil as is religion, why advertise for the bad guy ?.

Oh but wait, I bet this is a "double post" whatever the FUCK that is. !!!!!! morons punks, kids 24 hours ? lol.

I brought back a license plate that had 3 9's on it.
All I could think is lying in some ditch the car, like in a movie. The camera zooms out only to see the plate upside down.
I separate and rip those numbers if it's on a UPC code.
I even check my hard drive fore files size that have that number.
I avoid threads like this since some idiot thinks my internet cache loves that BS and will now flush that now.

Keep in mind, since I have faith, that number is ineffective, but hey, I am dopubleposting, they don't know me here, all I ever do is double post, like 23 hours 59 minutes, 59 seconds, whoops I must be a double spammer to be reprimanded by some idiotic punk kid !!!!

Talk about the devil, why can't a forum for UT EVER be normal EVER ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

always some punk ass admin shit , always, Nalicity, BU, USP, now here.

I would like to say, if you can't post in a FORUM in my OWN thread, less than 24 hours, you are more or less a piece of shit Gestapo fucking nimrod.

watcha gonna say now mr double post ? huh,

All I can think is ALL these UT forums are run by non Americans, because every fucking time it is based on some totally weird goofy nonsensical rules, WTF.

Now I spilled my fuckin beer, happy ? aaaaaaaaaaaaarg

WHY can't there ever be a laid back place for UT forums without all the elite attitude admin crap ? WHY !!!
Go ahead ban me, samo samo BS

I think, thought, the best one was , another game, but I am sure I am banned from here now, saps.

Hey evilgrins, can I post on your place ? geez the last place for me to have an axe to grind is against UT. Still messing with that Unreal map, that was also messed with and moved here, Unreal is Unreal foe MAPPING. but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO the admin has a friggin hissy fit and moves my thread.

*EDIT by Dr.Flay* ------ Posts joined ------ Do not bait the staff with games and tantrums.

And I will tell you all another thing.

All because you think you are all so high and mighty, if I managed to get a UT forum going, there would be a political t thread.

The more people the better, you are all afraid of the truth, Obamaa is a fucking asshole.
Binary Space Partitioning
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

Wow...quite the derailment up there.

Anyhow, I too am Christian and, if given a choice, would of course not choose this particular theme. I mean, there are so many other options, to gravitate towards this seems needless. However, I am not mapping and I don't have to download or play them if I choose. I am also not interested in telling others what is right and wrong, good or bad, so have at it if you will.

I had my vote in the democratic process so what else could I ask for?
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Ok then, thank you for the feedback. We understand your concerns and it will NOT be the 666k contest (even in the forum rules it says that no political or religious content should be posted).

Sooo... Is 512k ok then?
GenMoKai
Godlike
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by GenMoKai »

512 is fine with me
EAT THOSE FRIGGIN BANANAS !!!!!
1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission
memsys
Adept
Personal rank: Silicon Lifeform

Post by memsys »

I'm ok with 512k, 640k, and 720k
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Thank you Kelly and Carbon, for putting your point across well.
We don't wish to cause a rift, so we will have another nerdy set of digits.

Well Red_Fist (any shrink would question why you put those 2 words together), you may have faith, but you certainly don't hath understanding.
There is a very obvious reason why politics and religion are not discussed in a site dedicated to a game that is not about either of those 2 subjects.
Some people cannot be calm about it, and start swearing and shouting :wth:

:idea: You need to read all of Revelation chapter 13. http://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Rev ... hapter-13/
The mark of the beast is a mark of commerce carried by individuals to show they have the permission to buy and sell (think credit card numbers, bio-chip, iWatch or google classes, etc.).
The number on objects is coincidental or meaningless.
Peeling it off items and purging it from your drive is a waste of your time, and worrying about upside down 9s will only make you more paranoid, because the number has not actually changed, only your perception.
If it actually worked that way you could just turn all the items with the number on upside down.
But if you follow numerology conspiracy then the 3, 6s, are in every bar code, so you would also need to rip all of them off.
However you need to use that mark at the check-out to pay for your goods, so you are forced to use it to validate all your transactions.

Then you have to take into account that the earliest know version of Revelation show the number to be 616, and there are several other versions with the same number.
Around 2005, a fragment from Papyrus 115, taken from the Oxyrhynchus site, was discovered at the Oxford University’s Ashmolean Museum. It gave the beast’s number as 616 χις. This fragment happens to be the oldest manuscript (about 1,700 years old) of Revelation 13 to date.
It is not those specific alphanumerics that matter or "What the mark is on", but it is "who carries the mark" that is important. So while you are busy looking the wrong way, a man with the mark is going to steal your money.

I was raised as a Methodist and read my bible regularly. since then I have read 2 other editions simultaneously to compare the translations.
I came top of my Religious education class by an embarrassingly large gap. But that was simply because I was the most interested in all religions.
Studying them all helps to see the parallels in many cultures being expressed in varied ways.
I now follow my own personal path to enlightenment (or whatever you call it) with my own personal faith.
It is an unshakable faith, but it is not a blind faith, and It gets tested every day.

Red Fist, you have serious anger issues, and taunting the staff will not help.
Going out of your way to break a rule, no matter how small or insignificant, is the behaviour expected of a spoiled child.
You are capable of behaving respectably so please keep it calm.
We do not take a "high and mighty" attitude here as moderators, we simply agree to follow the rules of the site we joined.
The double-posting rule is not new or strange, and when Grins feels the need to, he will poke fun at us, but as adults we see it for the banter that it is.
Grins has not got angry at us over it, and we have not got angry at him. Slight annoyances are not worth worrying about.

Well anyway to drag this thread kicking and screaming back on course, I like the 720k option as that should be nice to literally put on a floppy for the sheer hell of it, but I like 512 as it sits in RAM very nice.
512 is more of a challenge though, and fits the whole point of setting a limit, so I think 512k :tu:
Please lets stay on topic, and consider the number changed.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

512k it is... :mrgreen:
Now is it even more complicated to put custom content into your map ...I have a chance to win MUAHAHAHA!!
Spectra
Masterful
Personal rank: Nullified!

Post by Spectra »

papercoffee wrote:512k it is... :mrgreen:
Now is it even more complicated to put custom content into your map ...I have a chance to win MUAHAHAHA!!
I got a bad feeling about this. :ironic: I guess this time Paper will beat FNB in this contest.
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

Well, I thank you all for your consideration then.

Flay, you must know I have great respect for you, but your 'enlightenment of fact' is no less erroneous in a discussion of faith than the expression by which Red_Fist proclaimed his/her views. At least he/she wasn't a heretical provocateur. ;)

I don't think that Red_Fist is fully in control to be honest and I guess we just aren't seeing him/her at their finest hour. Whatever has gone haywire in his/her life, I hope it resolves well.

Again, I truly appreciate the consideration shown in the final decision and hope that theological discussions end.
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

Carbon wrote:... and hope that theological discussions end.
It hasn't for 2000 years, it's not about to stop.

Now let me tell you about Ahura Mazda...
You must construct additional pylons.