Any "must-have" settings?

Discussions about UT99
Phuckphucker
Novice

Any "must-have" settings?

Post by Phuckphucker »

Hi there,

after beeing inactive for about 8 years i decided to come back. After installing the enhanced open GL file the game itself runs just fine. But my question is, are there any "must have settings" for beeing able to "compete" ?
To be honest it's pretty hard to hit smth, although my aim usually is pretty good in other arena shooters. So i wonder is there something i don't know?
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Any "must-have" settings?

Post by papercoffee »

Well you could try at first the Tweak thread. http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=373
Maybe you like it.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:ah my type of thread.

You'll want to go to the options and turn mouse smoothing off, direct input on. I think you need to restart UT after this, or at least make sure you change them while offline

type in 'preferences' in the console, turn off coronas under whatever graphics renderer you use down the bottom, now you can see people down corridors or if they are intentionally hiding. Turn off screen flashes under display, you will know when you get hit because your screen will shake

lastly your keyboard and binds is important to get your mechanics right. You'll want to sort this out so you don't play with auto-weapon switch. You can bind multiple weapons to a key, and you will need a walk key so you can jump without wasting your boots. Change your console key to another key in options and you have an extra button, you might want to change your voice and talk keys to some that you are not going to press by accident, you might have to disable your windows key from outside of the game, or any other key combinations alt-tab etc

Download and choose a crosshair you feel comfortable with, aim for the shoulders for a headshot. Go to a wall and fire off a couple of rounds and compare the decal with your crosshair

I'm sure I've missed something, I never got specific on a lot of that so feel free to ask any questions

Edit: Oh duh how could I forget, if you set your weapon to hidden the aim does become better. Personally I've found it helps on the up down axis. Others say having your weapon on the right or left messes things up as well, I actually cannot confirm I've seen the right left bug. Either way though hide it and your crosshair will line up better
Phuckphucker
Novice

Post by Phuckphucker »

@Billybill

Man, this is exactly what i was looking for. I already disabled all the smoothing stuff and vsync. But the other tips are golden. Thank you :D
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

I moved the thread to General Discussions.

@Coronas, I'd disagree in turning the setting off, although it depends on if the mapper made them that big. :noidea
Phuckphucker
Novice

Post by Phuckphucker »

billybill wrote:
Edit: Oh duh how could I forget, if you set your weapon to hidden the aim does become better. Personally I've found it helps on the up down axis. Others say having your weapon on the right or left messes things up as well, I actually cannot confirm I've seen the right left bug. Either way though hide it and your crosshair will line up better
Seriously. That helped a lot. Still not 100% accurate, but WAY better. Thank you for this one again.
TheDane
Masterful
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Post by TheDane »

Phuckphucker wrote:But my question is, are there any "must have settings" for beeing able to "compete" ?
bNoCheating=True
Retired.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:The map DM-Curse][ shows you that you need to turn coronas off to play it. The corridor down the middle is virtually impossible to see someone coming from one side to the other if you are on a certain side of it. I'd also hate to think what would happen if someone was to camp "inside" a corona. They are 2d sprites aren't they? Not terribly relevant in a 3d game. But I'll take your point that in non competitive games or something like monster hunt they can make the map look nicer

@Phuckphucker
Any trouble with binds? I'm interested why nobody ever talks about them any more. If you type preferences in the console and find your jump key you can set the Aup from 300 to a value I believe up to 1200. But let's use 900, that should get you out of slime quicker and speed up your "up" movement in maps like DM-Pyramid. If you set a key aside for walking|Jump then you can do impact hammer jumps without the complication of holding a walking key and pressing jump. If you combine switchweapon X|switchweapon X (where X is a number) in binds it will combine them into one key, always selecting the latter if you have both. You may need a registry key to turn off windows keys, and an external program to disable alt-tabbing etc

Weapon priority is important, all the a-holes put the minigun at the top so they can quickly finish off people. All the players who play to improve will put the sniper at the top. It's important to put hitscan weapons at the highest priority so when you do auto-switch during a fight you will not die (although you should be timing when the switch is going to be, perfectly)
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

billybill wrote:I'm interested why nobody ever talks about them any more. If you type preferences in the console and find your jump key you can set the Aup from 300 to a value I believe up to 1200. But let's use 900, that should get you out of slime quicker and speed up your "up" movement in maps like DM-Pyramid.
Wouldn't this be considered to be cheating?
billybill wrote:Weapon priority is important, all the a-holes put the minigun at the top so they can quickly finish off people. All the players who play to improve will put the sniper at the top. It's important to put hitscan weapons at the highest priority so when you do auto-switch during a fight you will not die (although you should be timing when the switch is going to be, perfectly)
This indeed is a good idea ...and I forgot every time I install UT about it.
Phuckphucker
Novice

Post by Phuckphucker »

billybill wrote:The map DM-Curse][ shows you that you need to turn coronas off to play it. The corridor down the middle is virtually impossible to see someone coming from one side to the other if you are on a certain side of it. I'd also hate to think what would happen if someone was to camp "inside" a corona. They are 2d sprites aren't they? Not terribly relevant in a 3d game. But I'll take your point that in non competitive games or something like monster hunt they can make the map look nicer
Speaking about coronas reminds me about shadows. Is there a way to make them "less dark" ? I already increased my in-game brightness but the dark corners in Deck 16 remain pitch black. Is it supposed to be that way? I mean i cant see if someone is hiding there.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Yes ...the map is build that way. There are many fixed versions out there.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:
papercoffee wrote:
billybill wrote:I'm interested why nobody ever talks about them any more. If you type preferences in the console and find your jump key you can set the Aup from 300 to a value I believe up to 1200. But let's use 900, that should get you out of slime quicker and speed up your "up" movement in maps like DM-Pyramid.
Wouldn't this be considered to be cheating?
You may have a point on Pyramid, more of a lag fix on maps like deck though. If the server is loaded with spammers, excessive mods, or plain runs bad then the difference is black and white. Only illegal keybinds I know of a dodge keys, I am not 100% familiar with them. I'm guessing they are not simply binds but some code that runs on the client as well, I come to this conclusion because I've messed around with mutators that enable dodge keys, and I know there are some things the client can't do on it's own with keybinds. That stuff is in documentation somewhere and yes it's for anti-cheat reasons. Hah those laggy servers are impossible to dodge at times too though. The real lesson here is don't host or play on laggy servers, and in my experience windows servers are far more notorious for this than linux
Phuckphucker wrote: Speaking about coronas reminds me about shadows. Is there a way to make them "less dark" ? I already increased my in-game brightness but the dark corners in Deck 16 remain pitch black. Is it supposed to be that way? I mean i cant see if someone is hiding there.
Back in the TTM days everybody tweaked the shadows out. The diehards actually prefer as stock as it gets with shadows, even with the highest resolution textures. I believe UTPure/NewNet forces players to be lit though, and most competitive servers are using these mods. You'll still see the flash of their gun or whatever, I don't see a huge need for disabling shadows on deck if you are already aware of the shadowed areas. Might want to try some other renderers as well though to be sure you are not getting one that is too dark
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

not sure if its mentioned above but mouse sensitivity is vital.
start with dfault i think 3.00 and then go down first increments of .20 , so 2.80 , 2.60 etc.

on servers with Pure installed (including newnet servers) you can change the mouse sensitivity directly through console by typing: sens 1.5
or: sens 5.00

also you can adjust Field of View settings.. dfault i think is 80 or 90

try console > fov 90

Phuckphucker
Novice

Post by Phuckphucker »

thank you but i already use 1.06 sensitivty and i think fov 100.
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

cool :)

i used to use... different sens settings for weapons/instagib also I play in window mode with opengl and dfault fov.

sens 1.85 nw's
sens 1.5ish ig.

^ just thought maybe could have binds setup to switch between the 2 settings like;

Code: Select all

set input g sens 1.5|set input g sens 1.85
Iam curious if any pro-type players set and use binds for turn-left/right?

had a crack at this once ... bit tricky lol.