Catastrophic failure

Discussions about everything else
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Catastrophic failure

Post by JackGriffin »

I was right in the middle of a damn good TF2 fight last night and my gaming desktop went totally mental. Lost all video out, won't boot. I ran diagnostics and I think my motherboard took a crap.

Anyway if you see different login IP's from me or of you see me requesting my password or making account changes don't worry about it. I had to switch off to my backup lappie and I need to get my data imported to it.

I was looking at towers this morning but I'm strongly debating not replacing it. This might be a good excuse to just pack it in and bow out of active work. I don't look forward at all to the idea of setting up another desktop, importing everything, and all the stuff that goes along with that. I think I'll just go get a HD enclosure and grab my data off my old drive and call it a day.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Catastrophic failure

Post by papercoffee »

What ? ... what does it mean?
Your PC has left the building so you do what?
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

I'm going to mail Ferali and discuss it but don't be surprised if my account gets archived. UT is very slow this early summer and there is no real compelling reason to spend a weekend getting back up to where I was two days ago. I have very real reservations that there will be any appreciable upswing again this fall since the other UT forums are much less active than they usually are at this point in early summer.
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

Uhaa, sounds like trouble of its finest. Good luck for fixing, getting new stuff...

In irregular patterns I save my whole project data (textures, maps, model files, ...) on my external HDDs* (I have two 1 TBs which I use in turn). With a hardcrash I might be screwed not to continue modding without some interrupts however I would not loose important stuff. If one of them shows signals, I would act ASAP with a new one (as long I would have the money for it^^).

* = Intenso Memory Station 6002561 1TB
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

I'm reasonably sure my drives are good, it was the motherboard that gave up. Still I think I'll pick up a TB external along with an enclosure today and do a full backup before I archive the lot.

I mailed Ferali to shut down my account so if I drop away you can still email me. I just have too much to do now IRL and this was a pretty opportune time to make some changes.
Hook
Inhuman
Personal rank: UT99 Promoter/Admin

Post by Hook »

Sorry to see this JG.
Well, I guess I understand your decision and you will be missed out on the forums and sites for sure. :(
Some UT forums and sites have actually picked UP a bit in activity, but yes, the annual summer UT decline as usual is evident as you say, but I noticed it back a few weeks ago more, with a bit of an upswing in the past few weeks. :tu:

Anyway, I am glad you will still be out there VIA email - have a good summer JackGriffin! :wink:
Come back if and when you wish of course! :tu: Keep in touch! :agree1:
=Hook=(Member# 626)
HUTP Active Forums: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/forum
HUTP UT99 Community Portal: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/
OR: https://hermskii.com/hook/ut99_hutp/
UT99 Server -> CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM}

* Newest Versions of: PRO-Redeemers | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemers | PRO-SEEKER-Redeemers <-(the Original)
and Now with FOOD FIGHT and Frying Pan arena !!!
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777 <-(NEW IP to come)
UT99 MH Server -> {CMH} CROSSBONES Monster Hunt (MH) by Mars007 (The Original) - IP: 108.61.238.93:7777
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

It's all good. I don't think I lost anything in the crash and this is probably a sign from God telling me to do something else ;)

I do hate that I was pretty close to a full files release. There was some very awesome material in that. I still plan on doing it but it's going to have to be a little bit delayed.
UTPe
Masterful
Personal rank: Dude

Post by UTPe »

JackGriffin wrote:this is probably a sign from God telling me to do something else ;)
I don't think so, I know for sure also God plays UT99 :mrgreen:
Please, fix the problem and keep on working on this game :loool:
Personal map database: http://www.ut99maps.net

"These are the days that we will return to one day in the future only in memories." (The Midnight)
Fuzz_Ball
Experienced
Personal rank: Harmless

Post by Fuzz_Ball »

Sorry to hear about that, man.
Rebuilding a work environment to your liking is always tedious but also a good time to do some cleaning!
You'll be back in the game eventually.
There's no escape from the MIGHTY UT!
:rock: :loool:
* * * Image * * *
$carface
Skilled

Post by $carface »

The decline a couple weeks ago was probably due to the release of Diablo III.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Ouch! I know that panic and sweating moment.
I suggest doing some temperature and voltage logging while you play a few games :idea:
Almico Speedfan, is small, free and can log the GPU as well as MoBo.

Having suffered total total OS/MoBo failures, several times on my computing journey since 1982 (no grey hairs yet!).
I install my systems, assuming that they will fail.
The only things in the C: partition are the OS, CoDecs, browsers and a few support tools.
Everything else (including temp files) lives on separate partitions or drives.
I can completely move my system from 1 PC to another, within a few mugs of coffee :rock:
I am constantly surrounded by spare parts and screens with progress-bars, and my personal PC's reflect that. Always in a state of flux and ever changing, and I seriously can't imagine only using one PC at a time (that is a curse not a boast).

Here's a tip from my old bag'o'tricks for anyone who has a PC that will not re-spawn
Easy If your PC has had no major hardware changes since installing Windows. (Windows allows 3 major changes) :wink:
1) Connect the drive from the dead PC to the new one, and boot into safe-mode.
2) Open the device-manager and delete everything (Some devices are hidden, and do not need to be deleted, but it will not hurt if you want to remove them).
3) Reboot, and log into admin or your normal profile.
4) Windows will now behave like you just installed it, and start asking you for the drivers it does not have (but you should have them already).
5) Run UT and kill something :thuup:

(I think I should add that to my post on PC resurrection)
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

OK guys, I got with Ferali and he's going to shut this account down. I'll be available via mail but I'm probably out of the community for the forseeable future. Best of luck all. I had a damn good time.
UTPe
Masterful
Personal rank: Dude

Post by UTPe »

may the force be with you 8)
hope you find your way back to UT99 again (soon) :tu:
Personal map database: http://www.ut99maps.net

"These are the days that we will return to one day in the future only in memories." (The Midnight)
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

JackGriffin wrote:It's all good. I don't think I lost anything in the crash and this is probably a sign from God telling me to do something else ;)
Ignore C-3PO, do not let the Wookiee win... by which I mean the computer, obviously.
JackGriffin wrote:OK guys, I got with Ferali and he's going to shut this account down. I'll be available via mail but I'm probably out of the community for the forseeable future. Best of luck all. I had a damn good time.
Oh c'mon! That trick never works.

You left this forum a long time back, having your account shutdown, swearing never to return... AND YOU DID come back. Don't do the whole "shutdown the account" thing again when we both know you'll come back. Just get your problems sorted and return. No need to tank your account.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Fuzz_Ball
Experienced
Personal rank: Harmless

Post by Fuzz_Ball »

He's the Rolling Stones on their Fairwell Tour!
:loool:
* * * Image * * *