departure

Discussions about everything else
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

departure

Post by Creavion »

For those giving a damn:
Like I already mentioned CTF-FacePalm is my final UT map project. I might have dissapointed some less fans.
These days however I don`t even enjoy playing UT for years at all anymore anyway. Yes, for me it is boring as f***: In just every degree. It is just sucked dry.

The last time I really liked to play it for a while was during the development and the release of the CMP2, thanks to Ferali`s xpickups. After that: Nothing!
So basically I stayed only as pure level designer. And with most of the people visibly gone I just have no reason to stay any longer. This is the most important reason for me to leave.

From what I see around the forums you might get some more maps - by other people obviously - for a little longer, however I don`t expect to see any (serious) masterpiece* anymore, which could have given me a very tiny little "boost of interest" to stay, just to see what other people are doing.

At least the game survived a shitload of years and did even beat any other following UT game as it seems in terms of longevity, users and content. Maybe this is even a record no other game might surpass.

I am leaving the ship!

* = most masterpieces were done the FOT guys, just to give you an impression
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
ShaiHulud
Adept

Re: departure

Post by ShaiHulud »

Sorry to see you go, and grateful for your contributions. You should check out the BT scene on i4games though, people are releasing spectacularly beautiful maps on a regular basis over there.
GenMoKai
Godlike
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by GenMoKai »

Sad that you are leaving but i think its totally understandable, good luck with the other stuff you want to do further ;)
EAT THOSE FRIGGIN BANANAS !!!!!
1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission
Rakiayn
Masterful

Post by Rakiayn »

I totally understand how you feel since I made the same decission for the same reasons.
anyway, I hope you will find something new and satisfying for you to put your creativity in.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Well, it was predictable to see this kind of post from you in the next weeks or months...
I follow the previous poster and wish you luck but first and foremost fun in your next project.

Fun is the most important part of a game.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Well, it's sad, but the truth of the matter is that UT lost tons of player base, community members and developers over the years, and right now the decision in where to invest time into comes to either liking UT enough to stay and do stuff regardless, or leaving to something else far more interesting (and "rewarding", a.k.a. getting fun out of it or your stuff used/played with at the very least or both).

Best of luck in whichever you decide to do from now on, perhaps one day we may hear from you again about some awesome jungle map for another game. :tu:
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

:sad2: do visit the forums from time to time...
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

Might take some years, who knows. Now, nobody won`t hand "ready to use content" to me on a silver platter any longer. UT2004 was a ripping playground for nearly any possible resources.
Right now I am playing a little bit Torchlight (I bought both games around release of T2 and haven`t started playing until yesterday). In fact I have not played ANY game for a longer time. I just have to find something new. And it is rather difficult to mod for a game without knowing it`s gameplay. Maybe I won`t decide for one "thing" only (means maybe UDK and something else, rather sticking on one game/engine/genre/whatever like in the past with UT only). I really don`t know.
BTW: If people STILL seem to care for me - for whatever reason :ironic: - I can still visit the board here.
About to be non-active
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

I wrote a lenghty, poingnant, reply to this. filled with mirth and laughter... and for some reason it didn't go through.

Thought it was pretty damned good too!

Much shorter version. You'll be back. Currently you're just a little burnt out...

...when you do eventually come back, bring cookies!
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

Well, if it isn't giving you that old magic, then leave it be for a while. No need to pull the plug on anything though; never say never....just take some time away and see how you feel down the road.

Until you post again, enjoy....something!

:)
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

Happy Smiles wrote:I wrote a lenghty, poingnant, reply to this. filled with mirth and laughter... and for some reason it didn't go through.

Thought it was pretty damned good too!

Much shorter version. You'll be back. Currently you're just a little burnt out...

...when you do eventually come back, bring cookies!

:)
when making looooong posts on any forum.. do a [CTRL+A] & [CTRL+C] often..
then if anything happens between , apart from pc closing down.. then all you do is [CTRL+V] and re-send..

we've all been caught by this at some point or another.. I know I have..

@Creavition Good luck with future developments and.. don;t just delete everything just yet. Put it all on a Removable hdd or some ting and store some place safe.
because .. I guarantee you that.. 2-3, 10 years down the track.. you too... will be .....
Back4More.

And the last thing you want is.. to have to re-find everything you lost in the spur of the moment decision ... (have done this b4 many times myself)

:tu:
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

@EG, Carbon, Wises: Eternal optimists. I won`t try any further, it would be only wastage of energy for me.
About to be non-active
UTPe
Masterful
Personal rank: Dude

Post by UTPe »

One way or another, everything comes to an end...sorry about it, anyway good luck for everything !

I know well you won't agree with this but I would like to point out a thing :idea:
Maybe, and I repeat maybe, the reason why you find UT99 boring is that you've not been playing it for long time. No play, no fun. So no reason, after time, to keep on developing for this game. We all know the best way to love this game (and every game) is playing.
I've been playing UT99 for almost 9 years. I thought to end my game days in autumn 2009, then I discovered sniper mods (late but not too late), a new universe...I joined a clan, I knew a lot of nice and smart people around the world, I also played like free player and now I still play as guest in a sniper clan. In the meantime, I built more than 20 voice packs, some ut99-related websites, I worked with uscript to modify some mutators, I even modded some maps. Many years passed but I still play and I like to keep on developing too. Now, I'm even installing a new sniper server...

regards,
Pietro
Personal map database: http://www.ut99maps.net

"These are the days that we will return to one day in the future only in memories." (The Midnight)
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

^Agreed , when std gametypes get boring try new ones like SLV , Rocket Arena ([url=unreal://223.27.29.145:7777]Come Try Ours[/url]) , ComboGib FUN!
Seige?.. theres a-lot more to it then just mapping.. why not learn how to make meshes and build characters?..
even building servers .. thats always a good thing.. to learn new stuff.

and is easy 2.

anyways what ever you decide. good luck ;)
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

Of course I disagree.
I haven`t played UT for years now. In terms of UT I was basically mostly a level designer. I barely played my own levels, instead of some test runs maybe.
Even if the 227 port for UT wouldn`t have failed (keeping quiet about it does not matter anymore) and Shadow would have reached a better development state with his SDK it wouldn`t have changed that much for the CMP3 (which would have gotten real then for sure). From it`s very core UT1 is just sucked dry for me. If I played some UT for real, then I played UT3. Maybe I am not a "graphics whore", however I also don`t stick to oldskool games for all eternity.

If people still want to continue, each for his own. I am looking every two years or something like that just to see how many uhm few people are left. :tongue:

In your (all) position I would visibly support the modders a lot more than you are currently doing. If they are leaving or gone, it is no use to cry over spilt milk. Every modder likes to see comments, feedback and interest for his work. EVERYBODY. For my part I don`t care any longer. I can count myself lucky for some received interest for my last map at all. Could have turned out much worse. :roll:
About to be non-active