GameSpy closing down

Discussions about everything else
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Re: GameSpy closing down

Post by Chamberly »

However I do know how it is started to spread. Someone posted a link to download somewhere on the UA forum (but not gonna point out exactly where) and I'm guessing, someone took it and put it on a server, give it out to an admin... and the admin give it out to someone... and it passed around. lol.

Darky can set up an option to just have a server not to show the bot in the player list... but I'm guessing it's matter of figuring it out I guess.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
noccer
Adept
Personal rank: Proud Terrorist

Post by noccer »

Dr.Flay wrote:
No it is the flagrant abuse visible here;
servers.png
There are 7 or 8 servers which could be delisted :D

>>You can't steal any ip (v4)adresses, there are exactly 4294967296 of them, and they will still exist when you wrote down all of them, or are stored in a (master)servers database ;)<<
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

I am not a fan of censorship, and always encourage self-censoring.
333networks is not there to play God.
It is there to connect people, not to divide them.

However 333networks WILL "divide the wheat from the chaff"
It will not be used to promote false results.
Bots are fine, but fake players are not.
What next ? Fake maps ?

It can be used as the voice of the people, but also the hand of the people.
If the PUBLIC, the PLAYERS want real results, they will have them.
Server admin found trying to fool the system by trickery will be de-listed.
There are more than enough other servers for people to enjoy.

A genuinely good and enjoyable server does not need fake results.
If it actually worked as player-bait anyway, you would find players in there, but you do not. They leave.
Ask Flak what she thinks.
Ask Smirftsch over at Oldunreal or any other Unreal master hoster what they think,
Ask the admin at GameTracker, GameRanger and Qtracker.
More importantly ask players.

I can officially tell you now, the use and abuse of false players and stats, will be covered in the TOS for anyone wanting to host on a 333master or partner.
I will also say this to all server admin;
Any servers fully blacklisted by 333nw, will also be reported to Epic, with evidence as necessary.
If there is an unfair bias being showed by 333networks, and you feel you are doing nothing wrong, you have nothing to fear as Epic will not blacklist you.
Possibly. Maybe :noidea

I may as well ask Flak if their TOS can also state clearly if they allow or not, the use of fake stats, and what they will do.

Maybe the death of Gamespy was a good thing after all ;)
Darkelarious
Skilled
Personal rank: 333networks admin

Post by Darkelarious »

Dr.Flay wrote:More importantly ask players.
I would like to add one thing to that.
My first duty is to the community. Most work I did was in gathering and showing all those UT servers. I really do not want to censor the servers in which I put so much effort of finding them. My hope is that we can agree with these server administrators to fall back to normal player display, just like any other server.

I spent a lot of time finding these servers, I find it ridiculous that I would now have to blacklist them instead. That is not why I wrote 333networks or a master server. The original blacklist function was written for administrators who THEMSELVES accidentally added their private server to the master server, and do not want it to be shown on the site.
I believe in freedom for everybody, freedom of speech, freedom to do whatever the hell you want. But that same freedom works two ways. When I blacklist a server under pressure of the community, I do not take away your freedom of speech. You can still advertise your server. Just not at my website/master server. But for consistency's sake, we need to set some rules for that.

Dr.Flay already mentioned Terms of Service (ToS).
At this moment, it mostly contains just the standard/generic things that everybody writes. I would like all of you, as part of the community, to help me draft a better one. I started a new thread about this at http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5649, so we can keep this thread ontopic.

Essentially, what I need from you:
The indications for querying, what you as admin/player agree on, privacy, feedback, transparency, etcetera. What do you expect from 333networks, what can 333networks expect from the people using it? What happens when somebody does not keep to those rules? What are the rules for blacklisting a server, how many people and which people need to agree on when a server should be blacklisted? And in which conditions un-blacklisted? Or referring to Billybill's argument, what will be the rules about synchronizing master servers amongst each other?

I am looking forward to your inputs.
--Darkelarious
Masterserver | Discord Channel
Oh, and we still are ready to receive donations. The url works, right? It doesn't seem to be doing anything...
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:Hello. I remembered what I was going to ask now, does said master server have anything to offer in host resolving... do many servers uplink without a fixed IP? I think the UBrowser attempts to resolve hostnames of given servers. Which leads me to another question if your server can offer anything if ipv4 becomes less available and ipv6 becomes more normal. At the moment if anyone is stuck in that situation I've always recommended they tunnel through somewhere that has both IPv4 and IP4v6 support, but I doubt they can even browse the master list unless they use an external service like yours on http

I know those are both very vague questions. I am trying to see some potential besides filtering servers. By the way I have absolutely no idea why some UT browsers show the bots correctly and others don't even have that stats column. I'm going to take it easy with showing all of the bots out of respect for those who can't see it. At least until I get some answers

Another hint at detecting fake players, often (like server dane points to) you will get a non localized skin return like the following, they even show as blank my UBrowser

FCommandoSkins.Aphex
CommandoSkins.Commando
SoldierSkins.Marine
SGirlSkins.Marine
tskmskins.Arena Warrior

and, sending a UDP \game_property\numplayers\ should give you the real number of players :P
Darkelarious
Skilled
Personal rank: 333networks admin

Post by Darkelarious »

All modules I use are IPv6 compatible according to the documentation. The checks I have in line to verify something as a valid IP only checks for IPv4, the same goes for the database. At this point I don't know how UT handles IPv6.

When I know exactly how IPv6 works in relation to UT, I will add compatibility. For now, that will have to wait until after 31 May. I am not starting new features at the moment, because there are plenty of tasks piling up. The source-code is available in the git repo; if somebody thinks this is a priority, they are welcome to start ahead on their own.
--Darkelarious
Masterserver | Discord Channel
Oh, and we still are ready to receive donations. The url works, right? It doesn't seem to be doing anything...
noccer
Adept

Post by noccer »

I tried to connect to my ut server by ipv6 and to make it simple: It doesn't work.

Tried same with a dns that leads to an ipv6 which, of course, also doesn't work. If you would use a tunnel to connect through, some anticheat may kick you from server for using a proxy or vpn, doesn't it? (Well, i find it useless to ban everyone behind proxy/vpn)

>>You can't steal any ip (v4)adresses, there are exactly 4294967296 of them, and they will still exist when you wrote down all of them, or are stored in a (master)servers database ;)<<
[ZSZ]Evil_Dragon
Novice

Post by [ZSZ]Evil_Dragon »

I just added the 333network master to our Server according to this tutorial: http://333networks.com/masterserver, just did not remove the old entries, and now it keeps crashing right the moment the uplink to 333network is done.

Here is my .ini:

Code: Select all

ServerActors=IpServer.UdpServerUplink MasterServerAddress=unreal.epicgames.com MasterServerPort=27900
ServerActors=IpServer.UdpServerUplink MasterServerAddress=utmaster.epicgames.com MasterServerPort=27900
ServerActors=IpServer.UdpServerUplink MasterServerAddress=master0.gamespy.com MasterServerPort=27900
ServerActors=IpServer.UdpServerUplink MasterServerAddress=master.333networks.com MasterServerPort=27900
These are the last lines of the log:-

Code: Select all

Log: Resolved unreal.epicgames.com (199.255.40.174)
ScriptLog: UdpServerUplink: Master Server is unreal.epicgames.com:27900
ScriptLog: UdpServerUplink: Port 7779 successfully bound.
Log: Resolved utmaster.epicgames.com (199.255.40.174)
ScriptLog: UdpServerUplink: Master Server is utmaster.epicgames.com:27900
Log: Resolved master0.gamespy.com (69.10.30.248)
ScriptLog: UdpServerUplink: Master Server is master0.gamespy.com:27900
Exit: Exiting.
Uninitialized: Name subsystem shut down
Uninitialized: Allocation checking disabled
Uninitialized: Log file closed, Sun May 25 11:56:21 2014
As soon as I removed 333networks everything was fine again.

Any ideas?
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Try only 3 lines, you can take out epicgames part and put in the 333networks... I am guessing it'll just use 3 server actors for the server uplink.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

Good idea Chamberly
Are you using a Linux server by any chance ?
There seems to be an issue with using more than 3.

I doubt it is the anti-cheat system, as that should just drop you from being listed if it saw something. I will have to confirm that however.
For debug/testing you could just test it with only 333, and see what happens.
If it is still failing, then you better hop into the chat-room (link is in Darkelarious's sig.)
[ZSZ]Evil_Dragon
Novice

Post by [ZSZ]Evil_Dragon »

Yes, we are on Linux.
I'll try it with only 3 asap and let you know what happens.

Thanks all.

Evil Dragon.
PS. Shai, I'm a she :)
ShaiHulud
Adept

Post by ShaiHulud »

Ohh, that caught me by surprise! I was browsing the forum just now, saw that this thread had been updated and completely forgot that I'd written a message where I referenced one of your posts a few pages earlier. We had *exactly* the issue that you're experiencing - with our server crashing after adding the 333 Networks Master Server to our UnrealTourmament.ini file - so as I was reading through your posts from today I was thinking "hmm, this all applies to us too, I hope they find the solution", and then at the end I spot your "PS. Shai, I'm a she" - it was like you were responding to my thoughts in real time :D

Anyway, sorry for supposing you to be male. And I do hope you guys are able to figure this out because it would benefit us too (we're also on Linux with UT 451).
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

IIRC you cannot have more than three on a linux server. It's something wrong in the native code that we can't fix but dropping back to three will end the issue.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
noccer
Adept

Post by noccer »

Actually i got 4 uplinks on a Linux server adn it doesn't crash

ServerActors=IpServer.UdpServerUplink MasterServerAddress=utmaster.epicgames.com MasterServerPort=27900
ServerActors=IpServer.UdpServerUplink MasterServerAddress=master.333networks.com MasterServerPort=27900
ServerActors=IpServer.UdpServerUplink MasterServerAddress=noccer.de MasterServerPort=27900
ServerActors=IpServer.UdpServerUplink MasterServerAddress=master0.gamespy.com MasterServerPort=27900

UdpServerUplink: Master Server is utmaster.epicgames.com:27900
UdpServerUplink: Port 8002 successfully bound.
Resolved master.333networks.com (84.83.176.234)
UdpServerUplink: Master Server is master.333networks.com:27900
Resolved noccer.de (46.4.92.176)
UdpServerUplink: Master Server is noccer.de:27900
Resolved master0.gamespy.com (69.10.30.248)
UdpServerUplink: Master Server is master0.gamespy.com:27900
Case-insensitive search: MapVoteLA13 -> ../System/MapvoteLA13.u
BDBMapVote: Maps Reloaded. Total Maps = 907

Version is 451

More then 4 = crash.

Some time earlier it crashed with more then 3, but now 4 also work, and i have no clue why. Maybe it is the 451 version?
Dragon: instead of unreal.epicgames.com you only need utmaster.epicgames.com which is just the new adress

Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

unreal.epicgames.com and utmaster.epicgames.com are both on the same server, so it does not matter which you choose.
If 1 goes down, the other is also likely to be unavailable.