Navigation AIs for 2017

Discussions about Coding and Scripting
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Navigation AIs for 2017

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Should be easy to adapt for Unreal in C++:

"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Re: Navigation AIs for 2017

Post by nogardilaref »

Navigation AI is a rather complex subject, but starting drawing it out in 2D like you did is a good start. :)
You cannot translate that directly to Unreal however since the translation from 2D to 3D is a bit more complicated (planes instead of lines, 3 angles instead of 1, etc), and 3D has its own math involved, but it can be indeed discussed in 2D first and then translated to 3D.

Consider now the following however:
how would this be solved?
Last edited by nogardilaref on Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

@nogardilaref
Your picture isn't showing up :wink:
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I was asked if are doable some paths for RX maps - some aerial paths to follow by flying with a Jet. So far I have this - TESTED - no stories, excuse me.
[attachment=0]2017_Aerials.PNG[/attachment]
The three nodes from the upper spot shows the route, but pawn has to use some stuff because ground units will never get them bobbing in spot, they do need flying stuff with any matter...
Attachments
2017_Aerials.PNG
Last edited by sektor2111 on Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SC]-[WARTZ_{HoF}
Adept

Post by SC]-[WARTZ_{HoF} »

I suppose we could use a hidden pickup for these maps for ground paths.
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Post by nogardilaref »

papercoffee wrote:@nogardilaref
Your picture isn't showing up :wink:
Thanks, fixed. :tu:
It was only visible to me.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

SC]-[WARTZ_{HoF} wrote:I suppose we could use a hidden pickup for these maps for ground paths.
This task can be split in 2 parts: ground paths and air paths. Each route should be separate and for this case we can do 2 custom nodes blocking one of routes based on conditions. Block ground way if pawn can move in air, blocking air paths when pawn cannot fly at all - playing without RX. But, here is needed A.I. task fly related to be done first in order to write navigation. If exist people which wants to chat about these - not only a topic started without results - we can keep going around this problem - team-work might be useful. If pawns and Jets are ready, I will explain how to make such a map because is... not that hard, in some maps probably is too simple, of course there are needed maps with some space for not combining routes - XC_PathBuilder might be helpful as well by using it restrictive.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

@sektor2111
More interesting would be, could such an air pathnode be used to navigate a pawn in z-axis too?
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

nogardilaref wrote:how would this be solved?
You assume that every linedef should be interated on (not a problem), or will you pick a/some specific pair(s)?
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

papercoffee wrote:More interesting would be, could such an air pathnode be used to navigate a pawn in z-axis too?
Doable in any axis if A.I. can guide jets. Perhaps I have to do a map with such a section where some mantas are located far away over some lava, having paths over that Lava Without to see Player directly and triggering them properly to attack players. Manta is probably suitable to prove that paths are usable. Base Explanation: amazingly what you see in that sample are default PathNodes, nothing special at the moment, ground units (Bot with enforcer) will get stuck if nothing does not do any negotiation - yes, there are needed other 2 things but the rest of network is a default-like one.

Maybe in future contest I'll setup some party with fliers (design won't be a priority...) but first I have to check them all what they do when hunting player will be set as their main purpose.
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

I'm working on fixing a Java implementation I sketched up yesterday, then I'll post the rendered result of what nogardilref did.

Weapon of Destruction