Flickering doors (Mover)

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Barbie
Godlike

Flickering doors (Mover)

Post by Barbie »

On fixing the map MH-Invasion_4 I found strange looking movement of the doors: on moving they flicker and sometimes they are even invisible in end position. I also moved them away from the wall into the centre of that chamber but the effect remains. I've also created a new Mover - its also flickering. I decreased the size so that the Mover has no contact to any other brush: the effect remains.

If I move the Movers into a new created cube, they look perfect on movement (no flicker).
properties of all 8 Movers
GBchamberDoorsProperties.jpg
I've recorded a short video also.
Any hints? :help:
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Higor
Godlike

Re: Flickering doors (Mover)

Post by Higor »

It's the room's fault, too many BSP nodes in that room I suppose and the mover's can't accoplate their surfaces into the main BSP tree (temporary during rendering).
Rebuild the map in a way that room's BSP tree is built completely differently.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

The mover class is really not very good. Of all the things needing a code overhaul it's right there with the best (worst) of them. Higor is right (was there any doubt?) and it's also been my experience that when multiple movers have line-of-sight with each other then you have the potential for issues. Complex BSP and movers that live flush with another surface also cause flicker with them. If you can't clear it then maybe remove the door mover and use a sheet mover with the same texture? Kinda spitballing here but I'd try it.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Yeah... if I had that, I'd send it to someone who can rebuild it without the flicker because somehow hardware difference clear it up or something.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Higor wrote:too many BSP nodes in that room
Yes, that was it :tu: : If I switch to BSP Cuts view, there are some cuts nearby the doors. If I change "Build Setting > Minimize Cuts", there are no more cuts in that room and doors movement looks fine then.
Higor wrote:Rebuild the map in a way that room's BSP tree is built completely differently.
Can this be done with minor changes only and keeping the original mappers idea? For example I could zone that chamber or put some single subtract brushes into one. Changing something to Semi-Solid does not help here, because there are only movers and subtract brushes. (For a better judgement I've added a screenshot where I selected the two subtract brushes that forms that chamber.)
Spoiler
GasBagChamber.jpg
Chamberly wrote:somehow hardware difference clear it up
Really? IMO its a matter of building the map, what this done by an algorithm what should result in same results independently of hardware. But try yourself! :D
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Because of the way BSP is computed you can often select the entire map and move everything one unit then rebuild and the BSP tree will look different. I think it's UGremlins.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Thanks for the hint with moving, but there stays at least one cut in that chamber. Even rotating didn't help (although it would be useless if not rotated around the Y axis).
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

One time in order to fix an unfixable BSP bug...
I created a complex sphere brush and substracted it under the ground when nothing accesses it.

Someone would open the map and ask: WTF is this?
But this sphere would fix the BSP bug, because it's purpose was to alter the BSP construction around id.

Try it.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I tried mega things, could never find a solution. The only thing is having less movers in the same space.
Binary Space Partitioning
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Recall some of maps KingsAndServants...etc_string ? It's damn cube room with 2 doors: Entrance and Exit. Looking there and at some Mover related or brush related topic and if I well recall, It's wise to have mover's surface NOT in line with a Wall surface when they are moving - If I would be Engine I would be confused about what you wanna see in this case - Mover or Wall ? Both of them have a texture - which one must have a render priority if are in the same spot ? Mover is supposed to be seen or the wall covering mover ?
Other crap might occur when some portal has a common surface with another brush. Looks like in maps with more brushes like this, flickering starts happening and it's not a good looking thing.

Aside: Map linked by you for Chamberly seems different - No Movers as shown.
Spoiler
[attachment=0]Movers_Lost.JPG[/attachment]
So the question is if map was bad or was morphed into a bad one. If it would be up on me this "single-playerstart" type is a NO MH thing. I'm not trying to figure what's happening when 8 players will try spawning in that nail-box.

EDIT:
Higor wrote:One time in order to fix an unfixable BSP bug...
I created a complex sphere brush and substracted it under the ground when nothing accesses it.

Someone would open the map and ask: WTF is this?
But this sphere would fix the BSP bug, because it's purpose was to alter the BSP construction around id.

Try it.
Cough, gotta speak about this in a sort of tutorial named something like "Alternate try at fixing BSP issues" :gj: .
It worked somewhere for me... I gotta check other Levels badly rammed if will get fixed too... :rock: I have build a bad sphere isolated nearby that BSP problem area - problem gone. Brushes have been aligned well before, no nasty things used but... I could not get rid of invisible barrier created there. Now it's mysteriously solved.
Attachments
Movers_Lost.JPG
Last edited by sektor2111 on Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Higor wrote:I created a complex sphere brush and substracted it under the ground
Thanks for this additional hint, but by trial and error I've found that setting "Build Setting > Minimize Cuts" to "7" the problems do not occur anymore. (For future mappers (maybe myself) I've added a big fat MapperInfo with this build information to the map - I'm sure that every mapper will find this. ^^
MapperInfo
MapperInfo.jpg
sektor2111 wrote:It's wise to have mover's surface NOT in line with a Wall surface when they are moving
Yes, if both visible surfaces of wall and mover are on a plane, I've often noticed flickering effects at Movers. So I put Movers either a few UU in front of the wall or behind.
sektor2111 wrote:Map linked by you for Chamberly seems different - No Movers as shown
One of the previous mappers seems to like grouping for some reasons. Just enable the other groups.
GroupBrowser
MH-Invasion_4-GroupBrowser.jpg
MH-Invasion_4-GroupBrowser.jpg (15.34 KiB) Viewed 3397 times
sektor2111 wrote:I'm not trying to figure what's happening when 8 players will try spawning in that nail-box.
(Hint to readers not knowing this map: there is only one PlayerStart in a very small 128³ UU cube.) This maps seems to be designed for a single player only; also there are only a few monsters (I remember your statement on MH-Ziki: There are more movers than monsters in this map) :loool: . That's the reason why I reworked it, and I added a player start chamber with a dozens PlayerStarts in front of that 128 cube.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Original map feeling is lost if players doesn't spawn in the same way as original. I would make that spawn room a bit bigger for such MH portation. 6 PlayerStart at 100 units from ground in a room having 250z x 350x x 350y perhaps returns a better look even than original one.
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

I talked to the person who recompiled my map with no bsp errors lol..

Ok so the movers are good, but he have some problem around after the gasbag area.

Here is a rebuilded map. Check it out and see what you think.
(Thanks {S.o.W}Deathmask!)
http://download851.mediafire.com/z9abyb ... sion_4.unr
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Chamberly wrote:Here is a rebuilded map
Thanks for your investigations, but in your map that Gas Bag Chamber still has BSP cuts in the area of door movers and causes flickering therefore.
Higor wrote:created a complex sphere brush and substracted it under the ground
I tried this, but with the default build settings I still got BSP cuts in that area. Was worth a try.^^
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

If it's the flickering mover problem it will happen in an empty cube room. I made a map it was a basic cube but I had one solid tall lifts in each corner that constantly move, only 4 movers , flickered.

I think it has to do with rendering vs tick rate of the engine. The movers can't get an updated tick in synch while having to render more and more movers in the same scene. I had it with 4 movers in the same room.

Also had it with rotating gears, more polys per mover. 3 gears, even 2 gears.
Binary Space Partitioning