Heavy lags in MH-Nagrath

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Barbie
Godlike

Heavy lags in MH-Nagrath

Post by Barbie »

I was wondering why the frame rate dropped down to 4 fps even on a fast workstation when you shoot into the sky in some areas of MH-Nagrath (especially the last cave with the WarLord, try pistol or minigun). The reason for it is a trigger with a CollisionCylinder of H10000/R32000:
Spoiler
MH-Nagrath-Trigger1.jpg
I think the aim of this trigger was reactivating the SmokeGenerators used at some water falls.
Although its bTriggerOnlyOnce is set and its ReTriggerDelay is astronomic high so that one can think it is not active, it slows down clients and server significantly. In fact it stays active in the sense that code is executed on every touch of its collision cylinder.
  • Solution: use a TimedTrigger that triggers periodically (periode depends on SmokeGenerators settings).
  • Solution for server: use a TimedTrigger that triggers only if players are online.
  • My quick solution: patch CollisionCylinder to (H768/R384) on loading map.
<EDIT-2016-08-23>
added download link for map
</EDIT>
Last edited by Barbie on Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: Heavy lags in MH-Nagrath

Post by EvilGrins »

On the offchance others aren't so familiar with this map, it might help if you included a download link so they can give it a go and see the issue for themselves.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Barbie
Godlike

Re: Heavy lags in MH-Nagrath

Post by Barbie »

"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett