New computer! Unreal Editor 2.0 Won't Load Maps!

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Haminmypants
Novice

New computer! Unreal Editor 2.0 Won't Load Maps!

Post by Haminmypants »

Hi all.

Got a new comp. Copied all my UT files over to it.

Unreal Editor starts up fine on the new comp, HOWEVER does not load maps properly. When I open a map, I an left with a completely empty grid in all viewports. If I create a brush (ie. subtract a cube) before loading a map, and then load a map, the subtracted cube stays in the viewports. As if loading maps doesnt do anything.

Both the old comp and new comp are running windows 10, same latest OS updates. It was not necessary to run in compatibility mode on the old computer, non of these settings fix the problem for the new comp.

I've seen this problem before on other windows OS's, but I have no idea what I did to resolve it, or if I even did anything.

-The operating systems are identical.
-The files are identical.
-All settings were carried over.
-No problem running UnrealTournament.exe, just the editor is borked.

Any ideas? :|

Thanx.

EDIT: New computer editor can't load ANY packages!
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: New computer! Unreal Editor 2.0 Won't Load Maps!

Post by papercoffee »

More informations would be necessary.
Where is your copied UT folder? Is the drive name different than on your old machine?
Look for UT on Windows 10 here on the forum, some people have posted some solutions.
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

Run as Admin or change the file permissions in your UT folder so that 'Everyone' has full control
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

The content of the log file "$UTDIR\System\Editor.log" may also be helpful.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Haminmypants
Novice

Post by Haminmypants »

Hmm, the log file is 100% empty. Similarly, the log file on my old computer has nothing in it. (I tried to upload a screenshot, but my internet is being gay.)

I tried running as admin + changing permissions, same difference.

The drive letter on the old PC was 'E',
On the new computer I only have drives C and D to work with.
Just now on the old computer I copied all my stuff to the desktop in C drive and ran it with no issues. Probably the drive letter isn't the issue here.

Can't be the length of the file paths, because I saved it closer to root on the new computer vs the old.
Old Computer file path #chars to reach unrealtournament.exe: 95 chars
New Computer file path #chars to reach unrealtournament.exe: 90 chars

As for other similar issues previously resolved in other threads, I haven't yet been able to find any.

Any other info I can give that might be helpful?
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Post by Terraniux »

I had this problem in the past. Multiple times

How I solved it,

1 Use the UT99 registry fix.
2. MY MOST OFTEN SOLUTION: Maps that loaded in the editor, but not shown = MISSING FILES
Use view - LOG. This explains all.
3. Editor has permission issues.
4. Replace editor.ini with a clean .ini
5. Use a clean install, and copy past only MUSIC / TEXTURES / SOUNDS / HELP FILEs --> not system files -- unless you know what you are doing.

The only installation I can copy paste onto usbdrives / disks / flashdrives / cd-roms /dvd-roms etc.....
IS using a CLEAN install + careful selected packages. Do not raw copy.

Hope this helps.

-Merged-

I am aware of the double post, but this is helpful.

I quickly made a video, a representation of how the problem occurrs.

Hope this helps too:

-Cm_EE4U8XI

Double check the log, and double check your files.
This member can only post when permitted.
UTPe
Masterful
Personal rank: Dude

Post by UTPe »

Murphy's law :lol2:
Personal map database: http://www.ut99maps.net

"These are the days that we will return to one day in the future only in memories." (The Midnight)
Haminmypants
Novice

Post by Haminmypants »

Terraniux wrote:I am aware of the double post, but this is helpful.

Hope this helps too:

-Cm_EE4U8XI

Huge thanks for the great video!

Looks like I'm getting a slight variation on the issue you've demonstrated above (hope we're getting close though?), it's like my editor is blind, and won't load anything even if it's there. Here's my log:

It's not able to find the map file I asked it to open. :|

Also the fact that the map file is different than what the logs show appears to be unrelated, I tried another map (AS-Guardia) with the same result... unless the log is supposed to show the map's file extension?

Could I get some details on how to do the previously mentioned UT99 Registry fix?

EDIT 1: OK, figured out what the UT99 reg fix is, but I get an error saying I need to have the .NET Framework 2.0 installed. When asked to download this framework, saying 'yes' takes me to a microsoft page that says the download is no longer available. :(
Last edited by Haminmypants on Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Terraniux
Masterful

Post by Terraniux »

I see a lot of spaces in your Paths.
Why you redmarked the paths???. We are not the CIA or FBI or something.
Only guys willing to help. Please remove them.

Remove the spaces in any path like it is a web / ftp path. Absolute linear PATHING. using only the allowed characters

Make a

D:\UnrealTournament\Textures
D:\UnrealTournament\Music

and not a D:\ <space> COPIED STUFF <space> \ <space> Unreal stuff thingy <space> ...\ actual folder <space>

Here is UT99 registry fix... but this applies only the REGISTERED PATH to windows.

http://files.ego-creations.de/projects/UTRegFix.zip
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Haminmypants wrote:Here's my log:

Spaces.png
Get rid of those spaces (red marked). UT doesn't like them.
memsys
Adept
Personal rank: Silicon Lifeform

Post by memsys »

Haminmypants wrote:
Terraniux wrote:I am aware of the double post, but this is helpful.

Hope this helps too:

-Cm_EE4U8XI

Huge thanks for the great video!

Looks like I'm getting a slight variation on the issue you've demonstrated above (hope we're getting close though?), it's like my editor is blind, and won't load anything even if it's there. Here's my log:

Also the fact that the map file is different than what the logs show appears to be unrelated, I tried another map (AS-Guardia) with the same result... unless the log is supposed to show the map's file extension?

Could I get some details on how to do the previously mentioned UT99 Registry fix?

EDIT 1: OK, figured out what the UT99 reg fix is, but I get an error saying I need to have the .NET Framework 2.0 installed. When asked to download this framework, saying 'yes' takes me to a microsoft page that says the download is no longer available. :(
I think the path is simply too long. meaning "D:\GAMING+NONSCHOOL\transferred IT resources\Unreal tournament\maps\MH-Konosus" if you change that to "D:\Unreal tournament\maps\MH-Konosus" it might just work again.
it's really silly but UT has a limit on how long a filepath can be in total, if it's too long it can't load the map
Haminmypants
Novice

Post by Haminmypants »

Terraniux wrote:I see a lot of spaces in your Paths.
Why you redmarked the paths???. We are not the CIA or FBI or something.
Only guys willing to help. Please remove them.

Remove the spaces in any path like it is a web / ftp path. Absolute linear PATHING. using only the allowed characters

Make a

D:\UnrealTournament\Textures
D:\UnrealTournament\Music

and not a D:\ <space> COPIED STUFF <space> \ <space> Unreal stuff thingy <space> ...\ actual folder <space>

Here is UT99 registry fix... but this applies only the REGISTERED PATH to windows.

http://files.ego-creations.de/projects/UTRegFix.zip

I've cleaned and backed up my registry. I copied the UT files over to C:\UnrealTournament\ removing all spaces in the file path in the process and shortening it by a lot. Then I tried your Regfix, I get this error every time:

The error translates as: "Generation of key .umod failed", which to me is meaningless (like most things in life :D)

Not too sure what changed but now UnrealEd consistetly crashes on startup, regardless of which of the three locations I open it from, aaaaaah.
Changing admin permissions compatibility dont change anything still.

EDIT:
Maybe interesting note: All UT copies in different locations behaved the same at any given time regardless of the file path details. At one point they all started up, but wouldn't load maps. But now they all crash on startup. hmmmm.
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Post by nogardilaref »

Just like memsys said above: the problem is that the path is just too long, so the editor is truncating it when trying to load it up, as reflected in your log.

As for spaces, they don't seem to cause any issues whatsoever actually, I am personally yet to see any problem caused by spaces in the middle of a path, but maybe I am missing something?
The very proof of this is that the Steam version does work without issues, both the game and editor, and Steam installs the game in a path which does have spaces ("Unreal Tournament"), yet the game has no problem in loading anything whatsoever.
Last edited by nogardilaref on Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Du mußt natürlich den RegFix als Admin öffnen.
Und es wäre gut wenn du die anderen Vorschläge die wir gemacht hatten auch berücksichtigst.
Wie das was Memsys schrieb über den zu langen Dateipfad und was ich geschrieben habe über die Lücken im Pfad.
Nicht zu lang und keine Spaces. Weil dann findet weder der Editor etwas noch der RegFix.

Sorry ...I switch now back to English.
nogardilaref wrote: As for spaces, they don't seem to cause any issues whatsoever actually, I am personally yet to see any problem caused by spaces in the middle of a path, but I maybe I am missing something?
The very proof of this is that the Steam version does work without issues, both the game and editor, and Steam installs the game in a path which does have spaces ("Unreal Tournament"), yet the game has no problem in loading anything whatsoever.
I heard otherwise. To fix Editor issues in the steam version you have to get rid of the spaces.
Terraniux
Masterful

Post by Terraniux »

Okay, I am sorry to hear that.

The UT99fix solved alot of problems for me in the past.

Pity. OK. Remove the fix,

Remove all UT Paths, and do , a clean install.
Carefully select and copy paste your files. If this doesn't help :

- Windows 8 / 10 is the issue.
- Not a fresh installation of UT is the Issue.

I can make video of copy pasting my entire UT installation, and make it work on another computer.
Did this alot of times in the past. I have proof of this,

So to summon this up: Either of 1 these problems is to blame
- installation path
- The problem is compatibility (OS)
- File integrity is not valid
- Missing files
- Registry issues.

Either 1 of those 5 should be it. If not, I'm willing to hear the possible solutution.