Actors / Decorations Questions

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Loose Cannon
Skilled

Actors / Decorations Questions

Post by Loose Cannon »

Hello all: I have 2 questions. 1). Why do some decorations not appear in gameplay yet I can see them placed in the UEd windows. For example, I wanted to post CTF decorations on top of a castle wall. I see them in UEd, but they don't appear in the game. I've tried moving them to different locations, but nothing. 2). I've played some other maps that have some cool decorations that I hadn't seen before that aren't listed in my actor menu. When I open that map in UEd and open the actor class browser, I see the option for those decorations, but when I open my own map, those decorations are not options. Any ideas on either? Thanks!
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: Actors / Decorations Questions

Post by OjitroC »

Not an expert but the answer to your second question may be that you do not have the decoration package open when you open your own map in UEd? So you will need to ascertain the package name by opening the map in which the decos appear in UEd, double click or right click on them to bring up a menu, open the properties and note the package name. Then close UEd, open it again and load your map, open the actor browser and search for the decoration package in your \System folder (assuming they are in a .u file and are not textures) and open it.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Why do some decorations not appear in gameplay
I think this only happens with CTFFlag because IMO it is not a decoration in the sense of decoration, instead it is only in that category because it uses the possibility of carrying a decoration for players in a CTF game. The CTFFlag you added in fact exists in your map for a few seconds (did you notice the light and the message beep?), but it vanishes to home base after a short time if it is not carried by a player (as we know from CTF game play). Please also take a look at your UnrealTournament.log and see all the error messages if you didn't set up a FlagBase.

Most simple option: use "Flag1" with an own created pillar instead of "CTFFlag". More advanced option: create a sub class of "CTFFlag" and delete all the code except that "LoopAnim('pflag')".
some cool decorations that I hadn't seen before that aren't listed in my actor menu.
These are user generated items. Have a look at Medors place for example.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Loose Cannon
Skilled

Post by Loose Cannon »

Ok, thanks for both of your comments. I'll try it out when I get home tonight. As far as decorations not appearing, I've added a female corpse or body (not sure what the actor decoration is called off hand) and it appeared green in my UEd viewer, but didn't show up at all in gameplay...Kind of strange.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

You need to learn the fine art of candlemaking.

No really, you do.

Still don't believe me?....Ok then. Don't click the spoiler.
Spoiler
Very often in mapping you want to place something that is strictly visual. You don't want it to interact at all, it's just something to pretty up the map. The perfect way to do this is by placing a candle. Here are the steps:
- Find your chosen decoration and open it's properties.
- Expand 'Display' and look for 'Mesh'. Copy the mesh entry.
- Go into your map and place a candle. It's in 'Decoration'. Put it about where you want it.
- In the candle properties change it's mesh and paste in your other mesh entry.

Viola! Now you have a candle that looks like anything else you want it to be. Adjust it's drawscale and place it precisely. Since it is a candle it will have no interaction so you'll need to adjust settings to give it collision if you want. If you want a moving decoration might I suggest my goGoDancer mod? It's more advanced but allows you to control animations of a mesh (if it has them).
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Loose Cannon
Skilled

Post by Loose Cannon »

Wow I had no idea about candle making....I try that out later tonight. Thanks Jack!
Loose Cannon
Skilled

Post by Loose Cannon »

JackGriffin....it worked! You sir, and your "candle magic" are a genius!! :gj: :tu:
Biggest apologies for the double post, but couldn't wait to thank him!! .....please merge if necessary...
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

Glad it worked :)

My maps are full of candles. They just work perfectly.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

I used a similar trick for a Nali gold figurine on a table ...I wanted it to be movable but not like a crate but flailing and bouncing like a golden artefact. I placed a book and changed its mesh to the Nali statue then I changed the scale, texture and sound. Now you can blast it away and fling it around in the map and it makes metallic dangling noises :mrgreen:
MrLoathsome
Inhuman
Personal rank: I am quite rank.

Post by MrLoathsome »

papercoffee wrote:I used a similar trick for a Nali gold figurine on a table ...I wanted it to be movable but not like a crate but flailing and bouncing like a golden artefact. I placed a book and changed its mesh to the Nali statue then I changed the scale, texture and sound. Now you can blast it away and fling it around in the map and it makes metallic dangling noises :mrgreen:
It is a great technique. Very similar to what I did with the flies masquerading as flying sharks.

@Paper. Jump on your statues head, then crouch and shoot it. You should go flying along with the thing.

Bookjumping is fun.
blarg
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

MrLoathsome wrote: Bookjumping is fun.
I know ...but this figurine is not in the open, I would just hit the celling with one shot. :mrgreen:
It's one of the gimmicks on my MorpheusPeak map.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

If you don't want the book effect try using pylon. It won't flap around all over and tends to display as a heavier, more substantial movement.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

JackGriffin wrote:If you don't want the book effect try using pylon. It won't flap around all over and tends to display as a heavier, more substantial movement.
Oh that's good to know ...never tried pylons.
Deepu
Adept
Personal rank: Average

Post by Deepu »

Use this

Open UnrealED -> open MyLevel.u from Actor Classes -> open your map -> add DecoBlueFlag & DecoRedFlag to your map -> save the map -> delete MyLevel.u file from system folder -> done!

these flag gives original CTF flag light effects!

:tu:
Last edited by Dr.Flay on Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Dumb-assed file deleted
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

Did someone really just post a file called MyLevel.u? And people downloaded it? Omfg....

Wait, we should put this on the UT-Files redirect so no one gets a mismatch. Let's be thorough.