That DmRiot conversion

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

That DmRiot conversion

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

That conversion that I intended to post months ago but didn't due to IRL issues.

Well I'm posting it here now finally.

RiotH

This is Hellkeeper's 227 formerly exclusive map converted into unreal 225 and release UT version.

I am glad I got the files transfered. I believe I included screenshot in the archive, if not I apologize but you wouldn't believe me how much trouble I had getting the files across and there was also no space left on zeur's machine until it got sorted out.

But it also means that there are some things I neglected to put on the flash card like certain screenshots I took, i hope this isn't one of them...

I have a lot of ut beta maps converted/tweaked/reworked too that I will post tomorrow or something. I'm very exhausted.

This is the map that MakeMeUnreal praised so much in that other thread.

I wanted to also convert the other dmriot, the classic custom level from early days of Unreal, this is the reason why I renamed hellkeeper's level to RiotH, to differentiate it.

But I did not get around to work on the other level at all. My plan was to show both, though they have nothing to do with each other and hellkeeper's level is more of ut2kx style level in layout, its a modern level.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: That DmRiot conversion

Post by EvilGrins »

File extension for UT map is "DMU".

Why?
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Mostly because of the UTClassic mappacks, those are Unreal 1 conversions that do a few tweaks on the way to get them the proper UT treatment (not just weapon replacement but also added screenshot, BSP bug fixes, botpath tweaks, added music etc.) And they have DMU- as their extension just to differentiate them.
darkbarrage99
Skilled
Personal rank: Barron O' Beefdip

Post by darkbarrage99 »

Great work Leo! that version of the quadshot is wacky!
EvilGrins wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:18 am File extension for UT map is "DMU".

Why?
most unreal 1 DM conversions have the DMU tag to differentiate them from the original maps.
darksonny
Adept

Post by darksonny »

It does mean Dmu tag as an ut 99 map, is this correct?
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

darksonny wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:19 am It does mean Dmu tag as an ut 99 map, is this correct?
The DMU one is for UT, but indeed DMU signifies originally coming from Unreal and since I worked on the later ut classic packs (well especially ut classic pack 3) with Lightning Hunter, it is kind of natural for me to name the maps originally coming from Unreal as that.

The quadshot comes from the UPSX rework project, I didn't want to make a separate conversion of the 227 quadshot and I kind of prefer this quadshot anyways. It was initially based on the Unreal Bible description of QuadShot and this was before we saw any epic finished version. One of the UPSX lead designers told me that they were going to include the quadshot and it was perhaps even working in some temporary version, which is why that was the first weapon to be added. It was directly based on the version that masterunreal originally developed for his unreal beta/alpha themed project though I did change it quite a bit.
That was due to us not having any official quadshot surviving (though one was found during 2012/2013 in the late 1996 Unreal versions/demos, but that quadshot works differently and was created under the old style of the game).

But as I said this quadshot was created based on the text description of how it would work.

The 1996 quadshot was different though(I did release a port with codex called unquadshot which is quite accurate to the 1996 one) as it never reloaded unless all four barrels were empty and there wasn't really shell spread, it was more concentrated in a single point and only got weaker with the distance the shot travelled (you don't see that in the modern ones at all). Indeed it was coded (and codex replicated it with the unquadshot script) that the damage would get less the more it traveled.

I suppose this upsxquadshot might be closer to a 1997 era revision of it that was never finished (including the running bob animation). That animation was there in the original model found in game files just not avaiable due to the #exec lines not calling it.

A different/older version of the model had a melee swing animation that was broken/kept unused as Unreal 1996 simply used a trick to change the offset basically to do a closeup melee when you ran out of ammo (yea that was another thing very different in the 96/early 97 era Unreal, there were closeup melees.
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

Thanks fo your work Leo. :)
You must construct additional pylons.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

darkbarrage99 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:28 ammost unreal 1 DM conversions have the DMU tag to differentiate them from the original maps.
Really?

Most of the ones I've seen only real difference was the removal of the hyphen.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758