best way to import brushes?

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Baardman
Skilled

best way to import brushes?

Post by Baardman »

Is 3dsMax > DXF export the best?
i tried for hours every possible file format in Maya but everytime i get bsp errors. 3dsMax > DXF no problem even when using the file i got from maya as dxf.
seems like Maya is the problem.
also how do you move that middle point in the brush?

im working on Madain Saleh if anyone is wondering.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 0225220521

Red_Fist
Godlike

Re: best way to import brushes?

Post by Red_Fist »

I don't know about this stuff very much. But I think it's something with the polys need to be reversed or flipped and there is something you have to do in the modeling programs to make it make the model a certain way.

Others might know what I mean, I made a brush in UT2004 and exported to 3d max to edit it BUT that was for using a static mesh. But that is not for UT99, :noidea
Binary Space Partitioning
Baardman
Skilled

Post by Baardman »

Red_Fist wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:16 pm I don't know about this stuff very much. But I think it's something with the polys need to be reversed or flipped and there is something you have to do in the modeling programs to make it make the model a certain way.

Others might know what I mean, I made a brush in UT2004 and exported to 3d max to edit it BUT that was for using a static mesh. But that is not for UT99, :noidea
i think you mean flipping normals. they are all correct, and exporting the model from Maya to 3dsmax and then Unreal gives no bsp cuts, so i think Maya is doing something wrong.
Im just curious what most people here use to export brushes into unreal editor or does everyone use the 2d shaped editor?
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Baardman wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:27 pmalso how do you move that middle point in the brush?
Either Menu > Brush > Reset > Reset Pivot or right click on empty space in 2D view and choose Context Menu > Pivot > Place Pivot [Snapped] Here. Or just select and move it by Ctrl+LMB.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett