DS_Section 8 Refinery

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: DS_Section 8 Refinery

Post by sektor2111 »

It would not be more easy to drop there two Teleporters instead of teaching bots DJ classes ? DJ is not an UT stock and it never was.
browndl
Skilled

Post by browndl »

sektor2111 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:35 pm It would not be more easy to drop there two Teleporters instead of teaching bots DJ classes ? DJ is not an UT stock and it never was.
I agree. I am not really that interested in teaching bots to DJ as I would be in having them increase the throwing distance of the translocator.
UT99 DM-DSKilnWorks3993:DM-DSWashNDry:DM-DSRedDawn:DM-DSBacktoSchool:DM-DSTowerBridge:DM-DSDeadeyeCanyon:DM-DSSectionn8Refinery:DM-DeckardsRevenge:DM-DSStudio:DM-SniperTown:DM-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-Wastelands:DM-TurboGen23:DM-LongForgotten:DOM-Dockside:CTF-enMakhana:CTF-UrbanSniper:CTF-CanyonWars:CTF-DSTowerBridge Unreal Badlands CiderTown UT99 Infiltration DM-INF-MagnumDocksDeluxe:DM-INF-MagnumDocks2:DM-INF-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-INF-CityStorageLotA][:DM-INF-ColumbianDrugLord:EAS-INF-DS-RailBridge:DM-INF-ACityBlock:CTF-INF-SavageKillersHeadQuarters:CTF-INF-Capital:CTF-INF-ComplexB UT2003/04 DM-PineValley:DM-Koltoff:CTF-PawnsKeep:CTF-Ardimus Rainbow Six RavenShield AlleyStrike
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

If you really want to get down and dirty about the whole thing. Is let the bots up there and use distance view triggers, after all there should not be a relaxed spot in a "sniper" map, and always have to watch your back.

Or let them up on only one side and shoot to the other.

Back in the Quake1 days everyone hammered campers, camper was a dirty word and pissed everyone off, LoL
Binary Space Partitioning
browndl
Skilled

Post by browndl »

Red_Fist wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:40 pm If you really want to get down and dirty about the whole thing. Is let the bots up there and use distance view triggers, after all there should not be a relaxed spot in a "sniper" map, and always have to watch your back.

Or let them up on only one side and shoot to the other.

Back in the Quake1 days everyone hammered campers, camper was a dirty word and pissed everyone off, LoL
I have tried using distance view triggers and ambush spots in multiple configurations and the bots really don't seem to do much with them. And it really wasn't so much giving players a place to hide as a couple of the highest places would have required pathing that the bots probably would have ignored anyway.

As far as "camper" being a dirty word, to each their own. I was playing camper sniping back in 2000 with ZSZ in UT. I never really got into the whole "who could twitch the quickest" scene. But I never derided anyone who did.
UT99 DM-DSKilnWorks3993:DM-DSWashNDry:DM-DSRedDawn:DM-DSBacktoSchool:DM-DSTowerBridge:DM-DSDeadeyeCanyon:DM-DSSectionn8Refinery:DM-DeckardsRevenge:DM-DSStudio:DM-SniperTown:DM-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-Wastelands:DM-TurboGen23:DM-LongForgotten:DOM-Dockside:CTF-enMakhana:CTF-UrbanSniper:CTF-CanyonWars:CTF-DSTowerBridge Unreal Badlands CiderTown UT99 Infiltration DM-INF-MagnumDocksDeluxe:DM-INF-MagnumDocks2:DM-INF-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-INF-CityStorageLotA][:DM-INF-ColumbianDrugLord:EAS-INF-DS-RailBridge:DM-INF-ACityBlock:CTF-INF-SavageKillersHeadQuarters:CTF-INF-Capital:CTF-INF-ComplexB UT2003/04 DM-PineValley:DM-Koltoff:CTF-PawnsKeep:CTF-Ardimus Rainbow Six RavenShield AlleyStrike
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

""I have tried using distance view triggers""

Well then you are doing it wrong.

It works,,,,trust me, damn snipers,,
browndl
Skilled

Post by browndl »

Red_Fist wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:11 am ""I have tried using distance view triggers""

Well then you are doing it wrong.

It works,,,,trust me, damn snipers,,
NIce. What would be very productive is rather than just a flippant response of, "Well then you are doing it wrong." You actually tell us all how you are doing it so it works.

I really need to remind myself of what my mother tried to teach me, something about if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I wasn't being flippant, it's that you just blow off any hope so fast for a working distance view trigger.

as a test
All you do is put a skaarj sniper up high in a spot that it stands inside the distance view trigger. Then make the distance trigger Tag ,,,say,, frontdoor.

THEN put a regular trigger on the ground with the event of,, frontdoor.
Whenever you stand in that trigger it makes the pawn shoot at you when you are inside the trigger on the ground.

So it's like a regular trigger is triggering another trigger affecting the pawn inside it.
You don't need to mess with the pawn tags since it does it by collision.

So if you were on one tower standing in a regular trigger, and put a distance view trigger where bots go, they should (will) start shooting at you. Depends how far away it works, but they do zap you pretty damn fast and snappy.

It would be cool to construct a map that is really hard using those triggers at every possible angle with bot paths going through them. So no matter what spot you pick, some bot will be pegging you with sniper fire. Front, back, top, bottom, then put it on godlike. :)

EDIT Add. After testing
Seems to me it does the same as a trigger but uses collision instead. So rather than ,,just some event,, it's a location oriented type use. So since you can't trigger bots with all of them having the same tag. ANY bot can be affected with no specific tags and provide a specific location to shoot from.
Last edited by Red_Fist on Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

IMO a DistanceViewTrigger is only useful if you have several different locations where you want to trigger NPCs - or - if you need NPC's tags for other purposes. If there is only one spot where you want to attract attention of the NPCs, a normal Trigger with Trigger.Event=NPC.Tags would be enough.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett