MH-Ashes

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Buggie
Godlike

MH-Ashes

Post by Buggie »

MonsterHunt conversion for this map:
https://unrealarchive.org/maps/unreal-t ... ad1a3.html
Shot00742.jpg
Shot00743.jpg
Shot00744.jpg
Shot00745.jpg
Shot00746.jpg
Shot00747.jpg
Shot00748.jpg
Shot00749.jpg
Shot00750.jpg
MH-AshesV0.7z
(2.02 MiB) Downloaded 23 times
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: MH-Ashes

Post by OjitroC »

Nice challenging map :tu:

Not quite sure what to say about it though as I did have 'issues' - perhaps down to me? Apologies for the lengthy text that follows :

1 These doors
Doors.jpg
didn't open properly. I could hear the door opening sounds and when it sounded like the door was open then I could walk through the door though it wasn't actually open. I could also walk backwards out - I could hear the door closing sounds and, for about ten seconds after the door had 'shut', anything on the other side could walk through. All the time the door remained as shown in the screenshot, it did not actually open. This applies to the one in the screenshot and to the similar one in the room behind. Perhaps it is not a major issue - just looks odd that the doors didn't open?

2 I got to the crystal eventually and had killed all the monsters on the way. The crystal was destroyed (accidentally as it happens by a stray shot from me) - I did see a message that it had been destroyed but perhaps didn't see or take in the full message as I was in the middle of a fight with some Skaarj troopers. So the crysal is gone, all the monsters are dead though there were 40 or so left according to the on-screen monster count. Odd I thought - what happens now? What do I do? Do I have to destroy those three flashing 'crystals' in the base of the crystal holder? Tried - no luck. Ghosted around the map - couldn't find the MonsterEnd. Didn't think to go right back to the start of the map - mistake as it turned out.

Had a look at the map in the Editor and eventually found that there was an exploding wall back at the start with the remaining monsters (though there were a couple of Skaarj in odd places and a couple of Gasbags very high in the sky as well) and the MonsterEnd.

Perhaps the need to go back to the start having destroyed the crystal needs to be made clearer?

3 In ghosting around, I went right to the top of the building in your fourth screen shot - there are a couple of pupae up there - not sure people would think of going up there?

4 The map could do with jumpboots (if people don't use the translocator) in order to get into the upper level in the rooms behind the doors shown above - otherwise the bars in the ground floor rooms can't be opened, as one needs to go through the upper level rooms and then down the stairs beyond in the courtyard in order to get to the buttons opening the bars.

Edit - just noticed the FortStandard in your first screenshot - can't say I actually noticed it at the start of the map or, if I did, it didn't 'register' and I didn't remember it - the blue light/fog was blinding and not something that I wanted to look at for very long so possibly this light obscured it?

Anyway, notwithstanding all that, the map is good fun and, as I say, quite challenging.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

1. This doors must roll-out to side. And they do this on my game.

2. Yea. I am aware about this problem. Will make some fix for it.

3. Top area is secret area. You need go to right side of church, swim in water to bottom and you be teleported to back of church. There you walk to left side of church and get via lift, to the top. No translocator need.
Translocator need on left side. And there placed two. in water and on left side after enter. Throw translocator in hole is hard but possible. Same for exit from it.

4. For open side bars, you need walk in center and press stone buttons. not need translocator here.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Purely as a matter of interest I started the map using D3D9 and then using OpenGL - the blue light at the start appears different with each renderer. Only with D3D9 could I see the FortStandard and then only once, briefly, from one particular point.

Anyway, now that I know what to do I can go back and play the map through again :tu:   
Auto merged new post submitted 7 hours 36 minutes later
Buggie wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:27 am 1. This doors must roll-out to side. And they do this on my game.
I'm curious why they don't roll-out for me - any ideas?

I'm playing off-line with 469d, using D3D9 or OpenGL. It looks like the texture on the doors is (for me) an HD texture as it is one of those that "has compressed data in its mipmaps. This texture might have been saved by Unreal 227. Unfortunately, Unreal Tournament does not support this texture format. We will try to convert the texture" (quote from the log). Don't know if this would make a difference?
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Thanks for converting :gj: ; I remember having played this as Assault.

I noticed a wrong setup of ThingFactory0 and its associated SpawnPoint0, but nevertheless it works because SpawnPoint0 is the one and only SpawnPoint in map: SpawnPoint.Tag is 'Poop' and ThingFactory0.Tag is NONE. Because of latter all SpawnPoints are collected in the loop in class'ThingFactory'.PostBeginPlay(): foreach AllActors(class 'Spawnpoint', newspot, tag ).

Mapper has set ThingFactory0.Event to 'Poop' confusingly - what causes nothing here.

Maybe ThingFactory0.Tag==NONE is a case for MapChecker?   
Auto merged new post submitted 11 minutes later
OjitroC wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:40 pm 1 These doors
didn't open properly.
Here it works as it should.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Barbie wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:31 pm
OjitroC wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:40 pm 1 These doors
didn't open properly.
Here it works as it should.
Thanks. The more I think about it, the more likely it seems that it is something to do with the HD textures. The doors do open, otherwise neither I nor monsters would be able to walk through the opening - it's just that the doors don't appear to be open. Oh well, just one of those things, doesn't detract from the gameplay nor from the map as a whole.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Pathing could use some work. After the first beasty is killed (Stone Titan) bots didn't move around all that much.

Didn't seem to have any idea where to go or do next.
Attachments
Shot0010.png
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Why are the bots obsessively shooting that statue?
Attachments
Shot0064.png
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

EvilGrins wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:07 am Why are the bots obsessively shooting that statue?
Because it it a "frozen" Nali. (Usually a subclass of "Decoration" with an adjusted mesh is used for such equipment, but sadly mapper has chosen a "real" Nali and made him static.)
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:15 pm Pathing could use some work. After the first beasty is killed (Stone Titan) bots didn't move around all that much.

Didn't seem to have any idea where to go or do next.
Odd - the Stone Titan should only be killable after the rest of the map has been completed and the Crystal destroyed. Once that has been done, the Stone Titan should awake - kill that and the exploding wall in your screenshot will be triggered and you can proceed to finish the map.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:12 amOdd - the Stone Titan should only be killable after the rest of the map has been completed and the Crystal destroyed.
Hasn't been my experience, literally the first thing that happens after the map starts is the bots attack the Stone Titan and it fights back.
Attachments
Shot0045.png
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:59 pm Hasn't been my experience, literally the first thing that happens after the map starts is the bots attack the Stone Titan and it fights back.
Play the map without bots and see if you can kill the Stone Titan (I can't).
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

OjitroC wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:51 pm
EvilGrins wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:59 pm Hasn't been my experience, literally the first thing that happens after the map starts is the bots attack the Stone Titan and it fights back.
Play the map without bots and see if you can kill the Stone Titan (I can't).
Sadly bots wake up the titan; players cannot.
(Wth is StoneTitan's bAlwaysRelevant set?)
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

I noticed some more issues:
  1. The big blue UTFlare ("utflare7") should disappear when the beams go off but it stays when played online. (Maybe because bStatic was switched to FALSE by mapper?)
  2. SpecialEvent9 does nothing.
  3. The settings of attached moving is wired: the comment in class'AttachMover' says "The Tag of the actors and the AttachTag of this mover must be the same in order for actors to become attached", but all AttachMover in map have an empty AttachTag in opposite to the depending Actors which have set their AttachTag to AttachMover's Tag. I wonder why this works…
  4. Armor8 and Armor10 have a negative charge. :lol: