New Tool ? Buggie ? or someone.

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Red_Fist
Godlike

New Tool ? Buggie ? or someone.

Post by Red_Fist »

OK so you place 120 trees deco making a map, or plants or other things.

What I would like is some tool that you could select all the same actor trees, and have a range of randomness to change the scale.

So you could type in a random range, like from .5 to 2

Another entry would be percent, so if I selected 100 trees, only half would change, randomly, or 90% almost all will change.

:idea:
Binary Space Partitioning
ExpEM
Adept

Re: New Tool ? Buggie ? or someone.

Post by ExpEM »

This should work for you.
You can modify DrawScale, ScaleGlow as well as give selected actors randomised Yaw rotation.

Took me way too long to get it done (~8 hours) with many stupid coding mistakes along the way but feels good to have done something while I have the dumbs, most of the time was spent idiot proofing.   
Auto merged new post submitted 1 hour 18 minutes later
Attachments
RedFistsScalingTool.zip
(3.2 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
Signature goes here.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I wish I could be dumb enough to make this in 5 years.

Like WoW never thought it could be made that fast, holy smokes.

I will have to download and ,,,,,,,I got lot of trees, LoLzzz

I am remaking a Rubie map that was for Unreal gold,, the readme says go ahead, but I had to fix a lot of things, BSP zones and eliminating things from Unreal, seems to be working better that I thought it would.

This map wouldn't even work offline in Unreal gold, it had a "file" named MyLevel in it as well, on a mesh, had to get rid of that, it had, by mistake all doubled up pathnodes, tons of nodes in there too. But I finally got to play through in Unrealgold without crashing.

For UT an absolute repair of one main BSP problem, large map large brush.

Well Thanks !!! ExpEM-Mike, friggen awesome
Last edited by Red_Fist on Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Finally !! got some other tree deco for this map and fixed other things and have been dyeing try this thing out.
Using unreal gold to select actors and pasting in UT, so in Unreal gold you can "replace" all the actors you select. So I used the same tree and file and could paste the new tree that worked in UT in the same locations.

The only thing is since this map was already made and previous deco sizes, other than scale 1.

Stands to reason this tool must be used while all the deco is at draw scale 1. So if placing deco in a new map they will already be at 1.

Otherwise the size will change to a size that isn't what as expected, but it works great,
Even if you had to select a row of trees or plants to change scale glow, you would need to select each one, one at a time to use different values for a more natural look. Then another row for a little darker and another darker yet, but still command a more natural look without taking hours and hours to do. Same for rotation, pain in the ass clicking on every plant or tree since all having the same rotation looks stupid, in any map.

Plus I would have never thought to be using such a thing only after just thinking it up, like a thought producer LoL.

Thank you very much :o :rock:
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I am only bumping this, is that, should this be in the tools section ? (It's pretty handy)

BUT !

There are also other tools in the mapping thread, like the MH monster placement, and maybe other things.
Seems like I would give them all to the "tools" thread.

:!: :?: :arrow: 8)