MH-MothershipAssault

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Aspide
Skilled

MH-MothershipAssault

Post by Aspide »

Shot001.jpg
Shot002.jpg
Shot003.jpg

Link:
MH-MothershipAssaultV1.1.zip
(6.04 MiB) Downloaded 14 times
Changes in V1.1 :
-Fixed a pathnode issue near the entrance of the spaceship.

STORY:

Earth has been invaded by alien forces. All of human military has been wiped out and civilians are being captured, it's just a matter of time before the human race is completely defeated, however a small organization has located the alien's mothership, this is a golden opportunity to kill the leader of the aliens and finally turn the tides of the conflict to the humans advantage, however it is a suicide mission considering the high security around and inside the ship. A recognizance team was sent to investigate the area and find a way to access the mothership, however they aren't responding to our calls, we have to assume the worst and start the infiltration of the alien's mothership, failure will doom the entire human race, good speed.

PERSONAL NOTES:

My second Monster Hunt map, this level is a port of the final level of ArchSub 2.0, this map was actually finished in July but I waited until ArchSub 2.0 was released to finally release this port. This map has some things in common with my first MH map but it still has enough differences between them. The map only has one major issue and that's the bots getting stuck on the sewer's entrance, the more bots you have in the match, the most likely they will get stuck, so be careful with the number of bots you add in this map.

Hope you all enjoy :tu:
Last edited by Aspide on Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Somewhere in Nevada...
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: MH-MothershipAssault

Post by EvilGrins »

Very good map, well pathed, bots went everywhere and were totally able to complete the map on their own without any humans assistance.
Attachments
Shot0250.png
Shot0242.png
Shot0226.png
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

EvilGrins wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:51 am ... well pathed, bots went everywhere and were totally able to complete the map on their own without any humans assistance.
Yes and No... by example Sarena did not do anything because she went stuck in Door...
MSA_0.png
As for human assistance - I play maps not only watching, and YES, bots can help in MonsterHunt disregarding other stories shared around.
Aspide wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:59 am The map only has one major issue and that's the bots getting stuck on the sewer's entrance, the more bots you have in the match, the most likely they will get stuck, so be careful with the number of bots you add in this map.
Umm... I don't get it. 9 MBots did not have issues except the hungry door which eat Sarena.

Short conclusion: A+ for this piece.

Optional Techs:
- Certain PathNodes around items are not needed - not a critical issue;
- Teleporter4 doesn't include any Incoming Path - it's probably usable being tagged normally - I will check it in detail - also not a critical issue;
- fore mentioned "problem" around Bots stuck - actually problem is different, more Bots = Lack of Ammo - you simply have a low charge, when Bots are picking up everything you might not have enough fire power. This sort of issue has 2 solutions, accelerated "respawntime" and charge amount. Once again, this is not a major problem if dedicated server has some "initial random weapon" installed, so clearly is usable in any good MonsterHunt mod used.
- however - VisibleTeleporter class is trash (recreated in clients connected at server) - this is why I'd rather prefer to adjust some settings for preventing any sort of malfunctions.
Last edited by sektor2111 on Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

sektor2111 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:10 amSarena did not do anything because she went stuck in Door
Clearly my bots went to a better school than Sarena did.
😁🤪🤣
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

EvilGrins wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:18 am Clearly my bots went to a better school than Sarena did.
False, play more times with them and maybe you'll see more...
Aspide
Skilled

Post by Aspide »

Thanks for the feedback sektor2111 :tu:
sektor2111 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:10 am Yes and No... by example Sarena did not do anything because she went stuck in Door...
That's very unlucky, that door opens when the generator is destroyed, if a bot gets in the way of that door then they get stuck.
sektor2111 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:10 am Umm... I don't get it. 9 MBots did not have issues except the hungry door which eat Sarena.
9 bots will not cause the problem, however if you play with 15 bots or more then there's a high chance the bots will get stuck on the sewer's entrance.
Somewhere in Nevada...
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Aspide wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:45 pmif you play with 15 bots or more then there's a high chance the bots will get stuck on the sewer's entrance.
CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

*10 minutes later*

15 bots played, nobody got stuck behind a door.
Attachments
Shot0066.png
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

When I played the map at the end of ArchSub2 I thought it would make a good MH map and so it has turned out :gj:

Very enjoyable and fun to play. Well thought-out map - I particularly liked the design and use of textures in the interior of the Mothership - a nice variation on the usual Skaarj textures - good variety of combat situations as well.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:51 pmWhen I played the map at the end of ArchSub2 I thought it would make a good MH map and so it has turned out :gj:
Did you get stuck behind a door?
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Random stuff coming not from "Bot it's not for MonsterHunt" but coming from Goblin...
When Bot feels danger and has low health, sometimes he stays as freelancer for a while collecting items on purpose to gain strength.
In this stage, those "BlockedPath" actors are frankly useless. There are paths going over BlockedPath-s which are direct paths not blocked by anything, but blocked by broken doors...
MSA_1.png
From PathNode248 there are paths heading over BlockedPath-s straight at Vials - only a simple example - because are more than that. That was the stage when Goblin had no clue what we wanted to gain.
And then... poking Goblin in the eye...
MSA_2.png
Chances to see Bots pushing broken doors are now reduced - mainly not really happening, and simple corrections are also doable for simplicity and better movement.

Operating methods:
- using XC_PathsWorker for demolishing specs in spot;
- using MapGarbage for disconnecting those nodes from chain - no longer used;
- nullling excessive paths;
- lowering the cost for LiftCenters placed for linking heavy routes - 400 has no logic at all;
- deleting nulled ReachSpecs.

Movers and Bots subject is simple to solve - too simple.
Mover will be Crusher aiming "BT_PawnBump" and "EncroachDamage = 10000". Respawn and participate at hunting instead of sitting inside door all the rest of the match.
Aspide
Skilled

Post by Aspide »

sektor2111 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:56 am When Bot feels danger and has low health, sometimes he stays as freelancer for a while collecting items on purpose to gain strength.
In this stage, those "BlockedPath" actors are frankly useless. There are paths going over BlockedPath-s which are direct paths not blocked by anything, but blocked by broken doors...
The issue of using the 436 editor is that you don't have much control over pathnodes, I wasn't aware of that issue because bots never went after the health vials, what I should have done is to completely sealed that path by using the movers and having them block paths, fixing that shouldn't be too much of a problem but I will wait until someone finds more issues with this map.
Somewhere in Nevada...
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:56 pm
OjitroC wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:51 pmWhen I played the map at the end of ArchSub2 I thought it would make a good MH map and so it has turned out :gj:
Did you get stuck behind a door?
No ... but I'm not a bot and so keep clear of opening doors (where possible).

Actually I think there's a button that needs to be pressed to open that door and so I was well away from the door when it opened.
sektor2111 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:56 am Movers and Bots subject is simple to solve - too simple.
Mover will be Crusher aiming "BT_PawnBump" and "EncroachDamage = 10000". Respawn and participate at hunting instead of sitting inside door all the rest of the match.
Does that mean that a Player could be hit by the door as it opens and get killed? Not sure that's going to please people?
Aspide wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:24 pm I will wait until someone finds more issues with this map.
When I played the map there were a couple of Skaarj snipers (one on the 'hill' at the start and the other near the start but down the slope beyond the fence on the 'hill' above the boxes) that took no part in the combat - I only found them by accident - don't know if anyone else experienced that?   
Auto merged new post submitted 2 hours 19 minutes later
Re my last point, played the map again and the Skaarj snipers did engage in the fight so obviously their failure to do so previously is probably a random occurrence and of little importance.

The manta ambushes are good but it might be an idea to use more spawnpoints as once one sees where they spawn it is possible to take them out as they spawn - this is particularly true of the final manta ambush.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

OjitroC wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:48 pm Does that mean that a Player could be hit by the door as it opens and get killed? Not sure that's going to please people?
Then let's wrap up the logic of the logic. You are hunting Pawn (monster) supposed to open a critical door. Are we often fighting with such a "mission" monster in front of such a "once-only" door ? In my 3072 map those "rocks" are exploding doing damage, I don't remember a single game where I was killed by blast as long as I don't step in that stage exposed directly at enemy. Not a single time this "out-of-logic" physics of a Mover does dumb effects. In real life a soft door when it's bumping in a human being it could return or... if it's a very heavy one, human sitting there is just crushed - this is logic to me and not just stepping through doors and walls.

Secondary aspect - this "door" can be opened away from the spot and not rotating for bumping someone random on its way. Why does it need to work this way ? I see it working flawless by simply gliding away. To be honest right now, the edit which I did looks without issues - I played it around 20+ times.
Aspide wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:24 pm The issue of using the 436 editor is that you don't have much control over pathnodes,
Wrong somehow... since months (years maybe) MapGarbage is capable to isolate Paths (even if are drawn on screen) exactly like TranslocDest does and Editor -Goblin itself is always doing in over-crowded spots. Yes, there are maps where paths are just drawn and never used because they are out of paths arrays embedded in a Navigation Point.
The good thing to me is that XC Plugins embedded in Editor ALLOWS mapper to control paths exactly as he/she wants, completely removing them. As example that last Deck16 map over-worked over time which I posted in forum has all Paths hand made, Editor did nothing there - and it was Editor from 436/440, nothing else.
But... as you say, this is not a big deal, mainly after applying a few corrections, it's all flawless. Sounds are matching perfectly this environment, action is constant, player doesn't run X minutes for hunting monsters, maps like this for me are really welcomed.
Aspide
Skilled

Post by Aspide »

Hello everyone :D , I released a new version of this map that fixed a problem with pathnodes, besides that the map is still the same.
Somewhere in Nevada...
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

So... :gj:
You clearly got the point how goes with paths and Movers... Next subject which I think that you will manage will be those ugly narrow spots... I can see that you understand what is about, and this is what makes me to feel happy.

Greetings and RESPECT+ !

If you ask me why, it's because you are helping the development. It's simple, if map has all needed things, the rest of "monster" problems and Bot problems belongs to administrators and others. Map has paths, map doesn't use BSP issues, map has no damaging junks and settings - this is the development environment.