DarkSniper's "Red Dawn"

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
browndl
Skilled

DarkSniper's "Red Dawn"

Post by browndl »

Here is a new map, using portions of the fantastic map "American Suburbs" as a base.
Original Map Author: Daniel "Nova" Eskildsen
Email: nova5000@tuta.io
https://unrealarchive.org/maps/unreal-t ... 75672.html
Thanks to Daniel "Nova" Eskildsen for releasing his brilliant map to the UT99 world.
A large map suitable for sniper play with plenty of CQB play available. Some enterable houses and towers. Bot pathed ready for offline play.

https://www.ut99maps.net/maps/sniper/DM-DSRedDawn.zip (EDIT 12-8-2023: Changed link to map download)

Attachments
RedDawn7.jpg
RedDawn5.jpg
RedDawn4.jpg
RedDawn3.jpg
RedDawn2.jpg
RedDawn1.jpg
Last edited by browndl on Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UT99 DM-DSKilnWorks3993:DM-DSWashNDry:DM-DSRedDawn:DM-DSBacktoSchool:DM-DSTowerBridge:DM-DSDeadeyeCanyon:DM-DSSectionn8Refinery:DM-DeckardsRevenge:DM-DSStudio:DM-SniperTown:DM-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-Wastelands:DM-TurboGen23:DM-LongForgotten:DOM-Dockside:CTF-enMakhana:CTF-UrbanSniper:CTF-CanyonWars:CTF-DSTowerBridge Unreal Badlands CiderTown UT99 Infiltration DM-INF-MagnumDocksDeluxe:DM-INF-MagnumDocks2:DM-INF-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-INF-CityStorageLotA][:DM-INF-ColumbianDrugLord:EAS-INF-DS-RailBridge:DM-INF-ACityBlock:CTF-INF-SavageKillersHeadQuarters:CTF-INF-Capital:CTF-INF-ComplexB UT2003/04 DM-PineValley:DM-Koltoff:CTF-PawnsKeep:CTF-Ardimus Rainbow Six RavenShield AlleyStrike
browndl
Skilled

Re: DarkSniper's "Red Dawn"

Post by browndl »

So any consensus?
UT99 DM-DSKilnWorks3993:DM-DSWashNDry:DM-DSRedDawn:DM-DSBacktoSchool:DM-DSTowerBridge:DM-DSDeadeyeCanyon:DM-DSSectionn8Refinery:DM-DeckardsRevenge:DM-DSStudio:DM-SniperTown:DM-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-Wastelands:DM-TurboGen23:DM-LongForgotten:DOM-Dockside:CTF-enMakhana:CTF-UrbanSniper:CTF-CanyonWars:CTF-DSTowerBridge Unreal Badlands CiderTown UT99 Infiltration DM-INF-MagnumDocksDeluxe:DM-INF-MagnumDocks2:DM-INF-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-INF-CityStorageLotA][:DM-INF-ColumbianDrugLord:EAS-INF-DS-RailBridge:DM-INF-ACityBlock:CTF-INF-SavageKillersHeadQuarters:CTF-INF-Capital:CTF-INF-ComplexB UT2003/04 DM-PineValley:DM-Koltoff:CTF-PawnsKeep:CTF-Ardimus Rainbow Six RavenShield AlleyStrike
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

As always, a well-designed and well-executed map - an excellent idea to remodel (as it were) or broaden out American Suburbs to produce what is, very much, a fascinating 'real world' map well suited to a 'real world' weapon mod like Counter Strike or AgentX and excellent for stalking sniper gameplay. Lots to explore, lots of great detail, lots of interest, plenty of environmental sounds and nice touches like the wildlife to create atmosphere and, once again, produce a distinct and unique 'place'. Highly enjoyable and fun to play - spent close to an hour playing it yesterday :gj: .

I am reluctant to mention it but there are 3 stereo sounds (chickens, dog barking and jet) - I noticed this because, after being in the barn with the chickens, I headed towards the railway track and heard sounds that I eventually worked out were my distorted footstep sounds.
browndl
Skilled

Post by browndl »

OjitroC wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:51 pm As always, a well-designed and well-executed map - an excellent idea to remodel (as it were) or broaden out American Suburbs to produce what is, very much, a fascinating 'real world' map well suited to a 'real world' weapon mod like Counter Strike or AgentX and excellent for stalking sniper gameplay. Lots to explore, lots of great detail, lots of interest, plenty of environmental sounds and nice touches like the wildlife to create atmosphere and, once again, produce a distinct and unique 'place'. Highly enjoyable and fun to play - spent close to an hour playing it yesterday :gj: .

I am reluctant to mention it but there are 3 stereo sounds (chickens, dog barking and jet) - I noticed this because, after being in the barn with the chickens, I headed towards the railway track and heard sounds that I eventually worked out were my distorted footstep sounds.
Thank you very much for the very kind words. I am glad you found the map enjoyable. I too enjoy playing it offline using 'real world' weapons. Thanks for taking a moment to write up a review.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Wow , seems like a great place to put in some booby traps (SP map style).

Sounds ? I just seen that dynamic sound actor in a stock Unreal map. Unless you know, I didn't, but you can put sounds in, like a list and it will play through the list of sounds in one spot. I think you set the times it also might be random. I never seen one of those in use, all these years. (I just thought they didn't work from broken code) :oops:
Binary Space Partitioning
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

I can't load the map due to this.
Attachments
zzzzClip0001.png
zzzzClip0001.png (6.06 KiB) Viewed 618 times
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
browndl
Skilled

Post by browndl »

EvilGrins wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:11 pm I can't load the map due to this.
Did you place the 'INF_Decorations.u' in the systems folder?
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

browndl wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:48 pmDid you place the 'INF_Decorations.u' in the systems folder?
I already had that file so didn't copy over it.

Why is yours different?
browndl
Skilled

Post by browndl »

EvilGrins wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:11 am
browndl wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:48 pmDid you place the 'INF_Decorations.u' in the systems folder?
I already had that file so didn't copy over it.

Why is yours different?
That I cannot say as I don't know what you have. The INF_Decorations.u is the file that contains the hummer wheel. All the files referenced by the map are included in the zip. I am sorry you are having problems.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

EvilGrins wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:11 am I already had that file ['INF_Decorations.u'] so didn't copy over it.
Maybe check your file against this (link to unrealarchive.org).
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

So I copied your version of that file over the one I had, and now I can play the map... and it's a thing of beauty!
Not so bright as before, which gives it more of a sense of realism. Plus the things you've added fit in great.
Your newer structures allow players to be inside, offering numerous sniper options. You've also added access to a number of the homes... which I don't think was in the original.

Would have to go back and check.

Map is well pathed and combat is intense when it happens...
...though even with 8 bots running around there's often long stretches when nobody crosses paths with anyone else.

I can't edit maps anymore, but were I able to I can't help but see maps and think of such things.

For XV, were one to go there, I think keep it light. None of the big super-powerful tanks...
Image Image
...but maybe replace the tank you've got there with the GK-1.

Replace the tractor with a manta, and the jeeps you have with the lighter of the XV-jeeps.

Tunnels seem ideal, to me, for putting UTDMT in:
Image Image
Making it so the Titans don't have the full run of the map, but can throw boulders at anyone that comes too close.
browndl
Skilled

Post by browndl »

EvilGrins wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:19 pm So I copied your version of that file over the one I had, and now I can play the map... and it's a thing of beauty!
Not so bright as before, which gives it more of a sense of realism. Plus the things you've added fit in great.
Your newer structures allow players to be inside, offering numerous sniper options. You've also added access to a number of the homes... which I don't think was in the original.

Would have to go back and check.

Map is well pathed and combat is intense when it happens...
...though even with 8 bots running around there's often long stretches when nobody crosses paths with anyone else.

I can't edit maps anymore, but were I able to I can't help but see maps and think of such things.

For XV, were one to go there, I think keep it light. None of the big super-powerful tanks...
Image Image
...but maybe replace the tank you've got there with the GK-1.

Replace the tractor with a manta, and the jeeps you have with the lighter of the XV-jeeps.

Tunnels seem ideal, to me, for putting UTDMT in:
Image Image
Making it so the Titans don't have the full run of the map, but can throw boulders at anyone that comes too close.

I am glad it worked out for you. Thanks for the kind words, I am glad you liked the map.