from Autodesk Maya to Unreal .obj

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Baardman
Skilled

from Autodesk Maya to Unreal .obj

Post by Baardman »

so i just figured out today how easy it is to import from Maya to Unreal editor. is this new? this makes mapping extremely easy.
i tested it out with a bugatti car model i had and got it to work without any bsp/errors.

Its very simple you can select Brush >> import, and then you can just select the obj file you want and use it to add or subtract. Or if you want your entire map exported make a big brush bigger then the entire level then ctrl-alt drag all brushes including your red builder brush and select intersect or deintersect and then your red builder brush becomes your entire map wich you can export as t3d or obj file to use in your next map or Autodesk Maya.

i figured you need to select right click >> transform permanently and or polygons >> snap vertices to grid before adding/subtracting your new brush to avoid bsp error's in Unreal editor.

don't know if this is new to 469D patch or if it was possible in earlier versions.

so you need the brush >> export and import option, (save brush and open brush is something else) need export/import option.
Attachments
bugattiut99.jpg
Last edited by Baardman on Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hitman
Adept

Re: from Maya to Unreal

Post by Hitman »

It might make more sense if tell the readers what Maya is except an old indian ppl :mrgreen:
UTPe
Masterful
Personal rank: Dude

Re: from Autodesk Maya to Unreal .obj

Post by UTPe »

please, may you add some infos about exporting/importing process ? thanks :highfive:
Personal map database: http://www.ut99maps.net

"These are the days that we will return to one day in the future only in memories." (The Midnight)
Baardman
Skilled

Post by Baardman »

UTPe wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:10 pm please, may you add some infos about exporting/importing process ? thanks :highfive:
Its very simple you can select Brush >> import, and then you can just select the obj file you want and use it to add or subtract. Or if you want your entire map exported make a big brush bigger then the entire level then ctrl-alt drag all brushes including your red builder brush and select intersect or deintersect and then your red builder brush becomes your entire map wich you can export as t3d or obj file to use in your next map or Autodesk Maya.

i figured you need to select right click >> transform permanently and or polygons >> snap vertices to grid before adding/subtracting your new brush to avoid bsp error's in Unreal editor.

don't know if this is new to 469D patch or if it was possible in earlier versions.

so you need the brush >> export and import option, (save brush and open brush is something else) need export/import option.
UnrealWarrior
Average

Post by UnrealWarrior »

What version of Maya are you using?

Also, "what color is your Bugatti?"
Apparently, it's red.
"We have nothing to fear but fear of tigers"

~tiger attack survivor
Baardman
Skilled

Post by Baardman »

UnrealWarrior wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:16 pm What version of Maya are you using?

Also, "what color is your Bugatti?"
Apparently, it's red.
i'm using 2023 and 2016 version. just made this screenshot of CTF-Duku in x-ray view in Maya i wanted to share.

Attachments
Duku2.jpg