Animated underwater caustics

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
browndl
Skilled

Animated underwater caustics

Post by browndl »

UnrealGGecko requested this tutorial on Discord.
As pitiful as it is, here you go.

UT99 DM-DSKilnWorks3993:DM-DSWashNDry:DM-DSRedDawn:DM-DSBacktoSchool:DM-DSTowerBridge:DM-DSDeadeyeCanyon:DM-DSSectionn8Refinery:DM-DeckardsRevenge:DM-DSStudio:DM-SniperTown:DM-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-Wastelands:DM-TurboGen23:DM-LongForgotten:DOM-Dockside:CTF-enMakhana:CTF-UrbanSniper:CTF-CanyonWars:CTF-DSTowerBridge Unreal Badlands CiderTown UT99 Infiltration DM-INF-MagnumDocksDeluxe:DM-INF-MagnumDocks2:DM-INF-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-INF-CityStorageLotA][:DM-INF-ColumbianDrugLord:EAS-INF-DS-RailBridge:DM-INF-ACityBlock:CTF-INF-SavageKillersHeadQuarters:CTF-INF-Capital:CTF-INF-ComplexB UT2003/04 DM-PineValley:DM-Koltoff:CTF-PawnsKeep:CTF-Ardimus Rainbow Six RavenShield AlleyStrike
UTPe
Masterful
Personal rank: Dude

Re: Animated underwater caustics

Post by UTPe »

nice tutorial. ok, now we want to see a new sniper map with "infinity pools" and underwater effects :)

Personal map database: http://www.ut99maps.net

"These are the days that we will return to one day in the future only in memories." (The Midnight)
browndl
Skilled

Post by browndl »

UTPe wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:29 pm nice tutorial. ok, now we want to see a new sniper map with "infinity pools" and underwater effects :)

LOL indeed we do.
UT99 DM-DSKilnWorks3993:DM-DSWashNDry:DM-DSRedDawn:DM-DSBacktoSchool:DM-DSTowerBridge:DM-DSDeadeyeCanyon:DM-DSSectionn8Refinery:DM-DeckardsRevenge:DM-DSStudio:DM-SniperTown:DM-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-Wastelands:DM-TurboGen23:DM-LongForgotten:DOM-Dockside:CTF-enMakhana:CTF-UrbanSniper:CTF-CanyonWars:CTF-DSTowerBridge Unreal Badlands CiderTown UT99 Infiltration DM-INF-MagnumDocksDeluxe:DM-INF-MagnumDocks2:DM-INF-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-INF-CityStorageLotA][:DM-INF-ColumbianDrugLord:EAS-INF-DS-RailBridge:DM-INF-ACityBlock:CTF-INF-SavageKillersHeadQuarters:CTF-INF-Capital:CTF-INF-ComplexB UT2003/04 DM-PineValley:DM-Koltoff:CTF-PawnsKeep:CTF-Ardimus Rainbow Six RavenShield AlleyStrike
noccer
Adept
Personal rank: Proud Terrorist

Post by noccer »

yes i want this as a sniper map and the "background" playeble :D

>>You can't steal any ip (v4)adresses, there are exactly 4294967296 of them, and they will still exist when you wrote down all of them, or are stored in a (master)servers database ;)<<
Man_With_No_Body
Novice

Post by Man_With_No_Body »

I'm trying to duplicate your “Animated Underwater Caustic Effect”
using just UT original textures.

1. Texture browser
File/ New/New Texture

Package: MyLevel
Group: None
Name: cob-web2_shimmer
Class: Fire.WetTexture
Width: 256, Height: 256
OK

2. Texture Properties/ WaterPaint
SourceTexture : Texture'GenFX.Mask.cob-web2'
(notes: this original texture is masked, GenFX/Mask/cob-web2 (256x256) P8 (9Mips))

DropType: DROP_PhaseSpot
(notes: left mouse button and placing 15 drops here and there)

3. Texture Properties/Texture
MacroTexture: Texture'UTtech4.Concrete.conc15'
(notes: original UTtech4/Concrete/conc15 (256x256) P8 (9Mips))

4. UED 2.2, ut.exe v469d
(notes: my pool is not as nice as yours but still sufficient)
Selecting one of the surface
Opening and selecting Mylevel/ cob-web2_shimmer ((256x256) P8)

Alignment: Align to Floor + Wall Direction + Wall Pan
BUILD ALL + REALTIME preview + Dynamic Light
PLAY MAP

5. Result:
What I see:
+ custom texture: cob-web2_shimmer
+ animated effect: DROP_PhaseSpot

What I can't see:
- Macro texture: conc15

6. Any idea captain ?

7. YT video even at 720p quality got a blurry result, hard to read small characters so I missed something...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySuc75gZ6kg UT99 - Animated Underwater Caustic Effect by David Brown

P.S. Should I abandoned the ship “Animated Underwater Caustic Effect”
and swim to the shores “Light Properties/ Lighting/LightEffect/LE_WateryShimmer” instead ?

A picture is worth a thousand words:
Custom_anim_underwater_caustic_effect_1.jpg
Custom_anim_underwater_caustic_effect_2.jpg
browndl
Skilled

Post by browndl »

Man_With_No_Body wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:22 pm I'm trying to duplicate your “Animated Underwater Caustic Effect”
using just UT original textures.

1. Texture browser
File/ New/New Texture

Package: MyLevel
Group: None
Name: cob-web2_shimmer
Class: Fire.WetTexture
Width: 256, Height: 256
OK

2. Texture Properties/ WaterPaint
SourceTexture : Texture'GenFX.Mask.cob-web2'
(notes: this original texture is masked, GenFX/Mask/cob-web2 (256x256) P8 (9Mips))

DropType: DROP_PhaseSpot
(notes: left mouse button and placing 15 drops here and there)

3. Texture Properties/Texture
MacroTexture: Texture'UTtech4.Concrete.conc15'
(notes: original UTtech4/Concrete/conc15 (256x256) P8 (9Mips))

4. UED 2.2, ut.exe v469d
(notes: my pool is not as nice as yours but still sufficient)
Selecting one of the surface
Opening and selecting Mylevel/ cob-web2_shimmer ((256x256) P8)

Alignment: Align to Floor + Wall Direction + Wall Pan
BUILD ALL + REALTIME preview + Dynamic Light
PLAY MAP

5. Result:
What I see:
+ custom texture: cob-web2_shimmer
+ animated effect: DROP_PhaseSpot

What I can't see:
- Macro texture: conc15

6. Any idea captain ?

7. YT video even at 720p quality got a blurry result, hard to read small characters so I missed something...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySuc75gZ6kg UT99 - Animated Underwater Caustic Effect by David Brown

P.S. Should I abandoned the ship “Animated Underwater Caustic Effect”
and swim to the shores “Light Properties/ Lighting/LightEffect/LE_WateryShimmer” instead ?

A picture is worth a thousand words:
Custom_anim_underwater_caustic_effect_1.jpg

Custom_anim_underwater_caustic_effect_2.jpg
Howdy.
I am sorry the video is blurry for you, I did record it and upload it at 1080p.
Addressing your problem, I am certainly not an expert with UEd 2.2 (or any other version of UEd), but I would think your issue is with the masked texture.
I used the textures you used and got the same result. Then I replaced the masked texture with my water caustic texture and it worked. So that would be my thought, the masked texture is the culprit.
I am attaching the file I made and used in the video, give it a try and see if it works.
WaterCaustic.png
WaterCaustic.png (85.28 KiB) Viewed 223 times
Appreciate your watching the videos. Don't hesitate to reach out if you have more questions.
Man_With_No_Body
Novice

Post by Man_With_No_Body »

[SOLVED]
Switching UED rendering from “Software” to “Direct3D9” fixed issue with missing MacroTexture.

Why did i have this setup? The Truth is Out There!

I actually did not dare to ask for your texture “WaterCaustic”, but you made my day :gj: . Blurred YT video is definitely not a your fault, lets say its a YT feature, some video are degrade to the 360p/720p.

Screenshot -how to use the original UT_texture as a “SourceTexture”.
original_UT_as_SourceTexture_for_shimmer.jpg
browndl
Skilled

Post by browndl »

Man_With_No_Body wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:40 pm [SOLVED]
Switching UED rendering from “Software” to “Direct3D9” fixed issue with missing MacroTexture.

Why did i have this setup? The Truth is Out There!

I actually did not dare to ask for your texture “WaterCaustic”, but you made my day :gj: . Blurred YT video is definitely not a your fault, lets say its a YT feature, some video are degrade to the 360p/720p.

Screenshot -how to use the original UT_texture as a “SourceTexture”.
original_UT_as_SourceTexture_for_shimmer.jpg
I did not even think to consider the rendering engine... shows my age, used to a time when we did not have so many options.

"You did not dare ask?" Ask away brother (or not), I am not one of those guys who thinks my stuff is precious (or even mine for that matter), I don't delete my brushes or try to hide my stuff, just so others have access to it. It's all UT, if you see something of mine in a map and want to use it feel free to do so. It's called COMMUNITY.

I left UT99 for 15 years and when I came back I was blown away by two things: 1. How crappy my brush work was back then. 2. How many remakes of my maps there were and how many other maps I see my stuff in. And you know what? I thought it was great!

I am glad you figured it out.
jmartin
Skilled

Post by jmartin »

UTPe wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:29 pm nice tutorial. ok, now we want to see a new sniper map with "infinity pools" and underwater effects :)

Wow! That's one of the best looking sky lines I've ever seen. What map is that?

Thanks.
UTPe
Masterful
Personal rank: Dude

Post by UTPe »

jmartin wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:57 pm Wow! That's one of the best looking sky lines I've ever seen. What map is that?

Thanks.
lol no map, it's just an image found on Google (write "infinity pool" and you'll find it)
https://lansonplace.com/mallofasia/tc/f ... nity-pool/
Personal map database: http://www.ut99maps.net

"These are the days that we will return to one day in the future only in memories." (The Midnight)
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Make the pool and use (small) warp zones at the ends somehow.

Those macro textures, is you can't scale the normal texture on the wall, so if you make a new macro texture (for a wall to see at a distance), scale down the macro texture to the size you scaled the walls, and will look good from far away.

There are animated TV texture TV screen snow, stock texture , try that for the effects with this underwater thing, see what happens. :idea2:
Binary Space Partitioning