Why is UT99 the best?

Discussions about UT99
legendslayer222
Novice

Re: Why is UT99 the best?

Post by legendslayer222 »

One reason why I think UT99 is best:

The maps have a great variety. In UT3, I saw a ton that all had the same feel and were nearly Indistinguishable.
LucienRavenwood
Novice
Personal rank: StuffSwapper

Post by LucienRavenwood »

I've tried UT '03 and 04 and still find the original MILES above. UT99 may be primitive by today's standards, but I think the advanced technology takes away from the freedom. It becomes more difficult to modify the game, discouraging creative minds in the process. Limitation breeds inspiration, and such was the case with UT. Take Deus Ex for example: When the sequel Invisible War was made, the better technology actually took away from what made the original great.

Besides all that, UT is very raw and the gameplay is fine-tuned to perfection. I don't know what I'm trying to say here... :wth:
AttYy

Post by AttYy »

hi, i am noob in this game, how to play multiplayer? :O
d0om3D
Novice

Post by d0om3D »

Well first off, the music in this game is the best. It perfectly fits the mood when you are playing, especially on Face.

The graphics may be primitive today, but they have the best style compared to the later games. The maps seem cleaner compared to UT3 and darker in style compared to UT2k4. I also dont like the stylistic approach they took with UT3, eg. the new Face map.

In terms of weapons, UT had the best lineup and balance. It also had the ripper ;).

Movement is a major deciding factor, and they messed it up in 2k4 with that double jump thing instead of dodging. UT3 was too heavy with the movement, making you less mobile than before. UT99 found a very nice balance between realism and playability. Mastering dodging is essential to moving around quickly and avoiding hitscan weapons (though my dodging still sucks).

Overall, UT99 just brings together everything you could want in a FPS game. It refined the details of all the important aspects creating a kick ass shooter that is still played over a decade after its release.
Isa
Novice

Post by Isa »

To me, it's the best because it's the first FPS I ever played, and the second game not directed at small children (Played it first when I was 8, first game was Age of Empires 2). Also, the mutators are awesometh.