How to make triggerable auto cannons?

Discussions about Coding and Scripting
bb_drac
Novice

Re: How to make triggerable auto cannons?

Post by bb_drac »

out of the box the thingfactory is not useful for almost anything but as you say, Grimpast need to script some to get it to work as he want it too.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Yeah, I'll add this to my rainy day list and make a better configured factory that can be fully controlled. All it really needs is a break check inserted that mappers can control. I keep meaning to do a set of mapping actors like a trigger with a properly timed proximity check if you stay within the trigger zone. Ex:
1) enter trigger zone and stand there
2) trigger activates then goes to sleep
3) after sleeptime it checks to see if you are still in radius
4) if you are it triggers then goes to sleep again
So long, and thanks for all the fish
bb_drac
Novice

Post by bb_drac »

What would be nice is that if the thingfactory could add many of it's own properties to any spawned object, like z,x,y velocity you mentioned.
With this you could actually create some real advanced setups, visual effects like transparancy, custom meshes and so on.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

JackGriffin wrote: @Paper: I'm on it bro. Shall we go to email or make a new thread?
BTW, here's a tracking cannon I made for a redeemer training map I was mucking around with. It's supposed to help you get used to incoming missile fire and not get all freaked out by it. The cannon doesn't track very well (by design) but you can clearly see it follows me around and spams hell out of rockets. Is this kind of what you are thinking of doing?
[youtube]u3tJZLF9N-k[/youtube]
Well why not a new thread... ok.
Will this cannon only hunt players or will it hunt bots too?
I want them to guard the upper part of the map ...that way is every one on top in advantage against other player but got shot by Walldorf and Stadler.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

It'll hunt whomever you want it to hunt. Cannon code does a pretty good job, it just needs a bit of tweak to work right.

Drac, I've never really taken a close look at the code but look at spawnpoint, that's where the real nuts and bolts of the factory spawning happen. It's written almost entirely for scriptedpawn. It would be a very easy matter to add a bunch of other properties to alter on the spawned stuff like you mentioned. Yeah I'm gonna have to add this to my todo list. This could get so much more functionality for very little effort.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
bb_drac
Novice

Post by bb_drac »

If you complete it, let me know, I want to test :D