Help with custom Tournament ladder

Discussions about Coding and Scripting
AlCapowned
Experienced
Personal rank: Layman

Help with custom Tournament ladder

Post by AlCapowned »

I'm working on a playable tournament with more teams to choose from for an update to my PS2 character pack. There are a ton of bugs with it, from team colors screwing up to the player's character not being saved. Does anyone here have experience with the whole ladder system? I really want to include it, but it won't be worth the space if those problems can't be fixed. If anyone wants to help, I'll send what I have so far.
Higor
Godlike

Re: Help with custom Tournament ladder

Post by Higor »

First of all, take into account your Botpack.u file might have to be modified, unless you use a workaround to modify default properties on runtime and then load or start the tournament ladder.

I did a custom ladder which lets you play as a custom Boss char (custom voice) and a team of BotZ, this code is still inside the FerBotz and might be of use...

Code: Select all

//Special stuff
	class'Botpack.Ladder'.Default.LadderTeams[7] = class'RatedTeamInfoBotZ';
	class'Botpack.Ladder'.Default.NumTeams = 8;
This is in BotzMutator's PostBeginPlay, it's the hack I use to modify the team list. Here a specially coded team replaces one of the Demo teams (in slot 7 and 8 in the team array) and increases the NumTeams by one.
This same logic can be applied to the master ladders to add more maps and enemies, as well as enemy teams on these maps.

Now this hack could be properly set up as a mod menu so you don't have to start a match with a mutator first.
Loading saved tournaments is entirely possible as well.

I did experience a problem that was the first match, where my character model was wrong but it only happens on the first game so I didn't worry.

What kind of modifications are you doing on the ladder system?
I might know what's happening.

PS: Unlike deathmatch ladder rosters, team rosters can inject code into the game which can be used to modify game circumstances or the player (leader) if you're playing in that team.
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

Once I had a small mod called "Unreal championship" (in the menu however only) which could be started from the mods menu AFAIK, it basically WAS a new ladder with more interesting matches, where you could select a match with or without predefined mutators. It included also the bonus pack maps.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
AlCapowned
Experienced
Personal rank: Layman

Post by AlCapowned »

Higor wrote:First of all, take into account your Botpack.u file might have to be modified, unless you use a workaround to modify default properties on runtime and then load or start the tournament ladder.

I did a custom ladder which lets you play as a custom Boss char (custom voice) and a team of BotZ, this code is still inside the FerBotz and might be of use...

Code: Select all

//Special stuff
	class'Botpack.Ladder'.Default.LadderTeams[7] = class'RatedTeamInfoBotZ';
	class'Botpack.Ladder'.Default.NumTeams = 8;
This is in BotzMutator's PostBeginPlay, it's the hack I use to modify the team list. Here a specially coded team replaces one of the Demo teams (in slot 7 and 8 in the team array) and increases the NumTeams by one.
This same logic can be applied to the master ladders to add more maps and enemies, as well as enemy teams on these maps.

Now this hack could be properly set up as a mod menu so you don't have to start a match with a mutator first.
Loading saved tournaments is entirely possible as well.

I did experience a problem that was the first match, where my character model was wrong but it only happens on the first game so I didn't worry.

What kind of modifications are you doing on the ladder system?
I might know what's happening.

PS: Unlike deathmatch ladder rosters, team rosters can inject code into the game which can be used to modify game circumstances or the player (leader) if you're playing in that team.

Thanks for the replies. I looked at that Unreal Championship mod to figure out how to get the ladders to switch. When the player chooses to start a game with PS2 characters, their ManagerWindowClass, SlotWindowClass, etc. switch from the regular classes. I think your solution sounds much better, though. I'll see if that fixes my problems.

I think the team colors switching might have something to do with the models, because it also happened when I first tried to make the ladder work by modifying Botpack. I wasn't going to release that, but it was still weird.