Bots liftjumping

Discussions about Coding and Scripting
Cronoloop
Skilled

Bots liftjumping

Post by Cronoloop »

The idea came from the Higor's Ferbotz.
Is there a cool way to tell a bot to "liftjump" to reach a certain path?

There are some maps (FragaliciousII, P4ceSpaver, the one from DavidM, even some default ones) where you need to liftjump to get on certain areas or just to look cool and make some airkill. Telling a bot to do so would be awesome, I was reading this thread (http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2279&start=15) and that guy developed a cool modification, can you tell me if it's usable to do what I want? Basically I'd like to add on some maps some lift jumpings opportunities.

Even better: coding the bots to make them liftjump without coding map per map... wishing this for the next release of the FerBotz :thuup:

Bye bye :gj:
Falco
Novice

Re: Bots liftjumping

Post by Falco »

Such a simple idea, such a big improvement :tu: .
I hope it is possible.
Old UT Veteran
Skilled

Post by Old UT Veteran »

Higor already mentioned a possibility of making botz interact with lifts a bit differently.
Higor mentioned it on the fourth page of this topic http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3805&start=45
- Lift handling:
Start moving out of a lift before this one arrives to destination by calculating the exact time it will take the BotZ to leave the platform and for the lift to arrive.
Don't sit at the center of the lift, useful for multiple BotZ on it.
Jump at a lift instead of walking in, good to allow teammates to arrive if coming right behind.
Its a cool feature to implant in my opinion. So far, there is no way to make bots 'lift jump' by using any specific actors on the map. It has to be coded. Nobody will edit the default Botpact.u because it will cause mismatches. You will be unable to play online. So, the default botz are less likely to have any changes. Perhaps, maybe someone can code an actor that the mapper can place on the map? That would allow bots to perform such stunts.

In the end, if this was to happen, its more like that Higor may do it with his Ferbotz. He is less likely to consider it now because he is busy with Siege Ultimate.
I like your idea. But, is it possible to do so?
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

you would think it's not too hard to make a bot "appear" to be lift jumping, using a kicker placed at the last key of the lift and set to affect (kick) bots only.
The bot if launched in such a way could use liftcenter/liftexits to land where he's supposed to. what would be better would be a triggered kicker to kick randomly (maybe using a stochastic trigger).. this way they wouldn't always do it... check this: http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Kicker the "extending" code example looks like it might work (?)
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
Cronoloop
Skilled

Post by Cronoloop »

FraGnBraG wrote:you would think it's not too hard to make a bot "appear" to be lift jumping, using a kicker placed at the last key of the lift and set to affect (kick) bots only.
The bot if launched in such a way could use liftcenter/liftexits to land where he's supposed to. what would be better would be a triggered kicker to kick randomly (maybe using a stochastic trigger).. this way they wouldn't always do it... check this: http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Kicker the "extending" code example looks like it might work (?)
I thought about this, didn't think about the randomness factor, this is awesome FnB (let me call you this way :P)
But how would you do it so that only skilled bots do it? Like the armour in DavidM-1 (or 2, can't remember), only skilled bots should get it...

Interesting idea, oh to Old UT Veteran: I read almost all the thread, skipped that part =( Nice info btw
Cronoloop
Skilled

Post by Cronoloop »

Sorry for the double post but a day passed, and right now I finished this.
I managed to make a bot liftjumping, but it was more like an invisible kicker jump, lol. I'm going to ask a few questions, hopefully some experts can help

1 - Is there a way to play the dodge animation whenever the bot uses the swJumpPad (Switch JP)?
2 - I looked up a lot of flags, but didn't find the right one. How do I set it to "bot only?" Or maybe: "no players", you get the point.
3 - The bots don't like that lift, how can I make them use it more often?

EDIT: There is a 4th problem. The kicker/jumppad should be activated only when the bot is moving in up direction, just now I sent a bot with a rocket on the invisible jumppad...

Sorry for, maybe, noob questions, but I have no idea on how to do these things :noidea
Thanks
Last edited by Cronoloop on Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

Godda add lift-jumping to botz, but bear in mind, lift jumping will not be used to reach 'new' spots, those HAVE to be waypointed specifically (like UT3 did).
DeathoX 8
Experienced

Post by DeathoX 8 »

If you're using SWJumppads, IIRC those do not have something similar to KickedClass of kickers, so those will always affect both players and bots.
I'm not sure if the kickers can be toggled on and off, that would be the solution to the accidentally pushed bots (you could place a small trigger on the base of the lift that could activate the kicker for just a few seconds).

I don't think the dodge animation can be activated by the swjumppad actor directly.

Generally if the paths lead to interesting stuff (i.e. powerups) bots will use them more often.

I'm not too sure about it but the liftexit you placed at the destination point should be either raised from the ground (unreachable by bots walking) or one directional, otherwise I think bots will also try to jump from the destination to the liftcenter.
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

the swjumpad isn't good for this - the reason i suggested the "old fashioned" kicker actor was because you can set it for bots only, etc... as for triggering it, it appears from the wiki post i linked you to, that others were trying it (hence the code sample) - that seems to be the best way for lack of a more robust scripted actor atm ...

as for attracting bots to lifts, you can design for that... i think you have to make it worthwhile for the bot in any case (they need to want to use it to get to something they want really badly, like a pickup with maxdesireabilty set really high, so some such enticement :) of course, they're pretty stupid so they'll never get the prise because they'll be kicked first, right?

curious to see how this turns out

Cheers
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

Meh, just design a custom liftExit actor and then force the bots to jump as soon as the vertical dist goes below a specified amount (also add the Positive Z velocity check for the pawn's base lift).
Special handling function should do it.
Cronoloop
Skilled

Post by Cronoloop »

Thanks everyone guys, I don't promise anything, but I will try to do something.
Btw It's awesome how 10+ years later, there are still people working on modding, mapping and everything else about this game, incredible.