placeable relics?

Discussions about Coding and Scripting
TheLame
Novice
Personal rank: retired UT reject

Re: placeable relics?

Post by TheLame »

good news Kelly :-) ... I hope that's the end of it then!!

About this hack, well, I'm away on a lab-course for the rest of this week and the next wekk also, so I won't be writing anything untill i get back. And .. It's all in my head realy, so no code to hand you yet? ... But if you need something to put your mind to please feel free to rock on :-) I'll be happy to take over/assist/help/guide or whatever I can to get it done once i get back.... I made you a promise, and I'll do my very best to fulfill it by making this hack. Only thing I have done was to export the sounds,models and classes to work with, nothing more.

My thoughts where to create a mother class subclasses from TournamentPickup and then subclass the relics from that class. I was thinking about creating a single mutator class also, one that would control the relics and their behaviour (individualy) so that the mapper placed that mutator in the map somewhere, then placed the relics, went back to the mutator to set the properties for the specific relics.

I was planning to make the mutator control these variables for each relic class individualy:

1. RespawnTime
2. bDropWhenDead
3. Maximum amount of relic allowed in map (if bDropWhenDead is True)
4. Destroy a relic if dropped into e.g. lava zone (if bDropWhenDead is True)
5. Mutate command to toss the current relic

Why a mutator? Well, when the map is released it's pretty much done, can ofcause be versioned up, but you know... most maps end up on file services and stays there even if outdated or flawed. With a mutator in the map you can "patch" the map without changing the map but instead make a mutator to "repair" the flawed part of the code, or to simply modify the behaviour of the relics as some most likely would want to?

These are just my thoughts ... if you start it you define it :-)
darkbarrage99
Skilled
Personal rank: Barron O' Beefdip

Post by darkbarrage99 »

JackGriffin wrote:Lame I finished up my last radiation treatment today. If you want help with this or you want me to do it for a while just let me know. I'm still healing but I can work a bit every day on something.
congrats!!! :D glad to see that you made it through
TheLame wrote: I was planning to make the mutator control these variables for each relic class individualy:

1. RespawnTime
2. bDropWhenDead
3. Maximum amount of relic allowed in map (if bDropWhenDead is True)
4. Destroy a relic if dropped into e.g. lava zone (if bDropWhenDead is True)
5. Mutate command to toss the current relic

Why a mutator? Well, when the map is released it's pretty much done, can ofcause be versioned up, but you know... most maps end up on file services and stays there even if outdated or flawed. With a mutator in the map you can "patch" the map without changing the map but instead make a mutator to "repair" the flawed part of the code, or to simply modify the behaviour of the relics as some most likely would want to?

These are just my thoughts ... if you start it you define it :-)

sounds awesome! but it may not be necessasary.

being the klutz i am, I realized that you can actually modify the default properties of an actor by accidentally clicking the right mouse button over a power-up in that quake 3 pack, pulling the mouse down to "default properties...," and accidentally clicking on it to reveal, TA-DAAA! THE DEFAULT PROPERTIES!
:loool:

they had the same problem as the relics and didn't want to show up in UED. so, after exploring these properties, I realized that I could use rubbish mesh under the 'display' tab to substitute in ued. i then tried it for the RelicInventory items (which do not respawn, and only drop on death) and it worked perfectly with the actual relic meshes. unfortunately however, 'Inventory>>Respawn Time' tab would not function at all, and there was no "drop on death" tab like there are for some weapons like the super shock rifle.

so what I did was I took a craptastic ctf map I made a few months ago and placed some of these relics about; a Regen and a Defense in each base(2 of each), 2 Strength in midway points where the teams would conflict and ONE speed relic in an out of the way part in the middle of the map, originally intended for a damage amplifier. naturally I did not use Redemption or Vengeance because they can only be used once and are kinda pointless for ctf. there were no death zones or lava pits or anything where if a player carrying a relic were to fall, the relic would stay there forever.

an interesting mechanic seemed to be introduced. since the relics still would not respawn, and would only be dropped on death, it seemed that in order to take a relic was to kill whomever was holding it.

so, that essentially means that by attacking the enemy base's defenders, you could steal their relics (defense, regen) away and run home with them, and the only way they could get them back was by attacking and taking them back. by having one Speed relic in the center of the map, both team's attackers would have to fight over which team had the advantage of a speed boost. the same could be said about Strength if there was only one in use.

and then I though "woah, what if they were used like this for TDM? in a 4 team game, where each team would be trying to take control of every relic in the map, everyone would have to gang up on the team with the most relics! so long as they don't fall into the eternal abyss of doom..." essentially this could become a cool gametype in itself, but there would have to be a way for the relics to respawn from a deathzone. essentially this could be done with the standard mutator, but it would be a bit more interesting to me to have to fight over them then having them spawn randomly at path nodes. "ooh, lookie! a randomly spawning relic! how Boring!" vs "EVERYONE GANG UP ON THAT GUY HE'S GOT THE STRENGTH RELIC FFUUUUUUU!"

in conclusion, perhaps the Inventory>>Pickup>>TournamentPickup>>RelicInventory>>stuffs just need to be subclassed? i mean the way i was using them, they were not bouncing around the map. they were picked up and held by a player until the player was fragged, and when they were fragged they would stay until someone would pick them up.

I might arrange a few maps with these relics to share what I'm talking about.
TheLame
Novice
Personal rank: retired UT reject

Post by TheLame »

oh cool :-) Here I was reading up on the topic before getting ready to code, but you have solved the puzzle without even coding! A smart way to do it :-)

It does sound like an interesting new gamestyle to me, good luck with it :-)
darkbarrage99
Skilled

Post by darkbarrage99 »

TheLame wrote:oh cool :-) Here I was reading up on the topic before getting ready to code, but you have solved the puzzle without even coding! A smart way to do it :-)

It does sound like an interesting new gamestyle to me, good luck with it :-)

INDEED!!!

However, I still have no idea how to actually do any of that T_T lol
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

DarkB, I spoke with Lame today and asked him if I could take this project back. I'm slowly getting better and it would be nice to have something like this to work on. I'm going to begin primary coding on this tonight so feel free to direct all your requests back to me now. Sorry if you feel a bit jerked around but I'd like to do this for you since I said I would before.

So in short you want relics that:
- Spawn only where placed.
- When in a player's inventory that dies they go back to the respawn place ready to be picked up again or dropped where the person was killed?
- Can be set to a particular team

Does that pretty much cover things?
So long, and thanks for all the fish
darkbarrage99
Skilled

Post by darkbarrage99 »

JackGriffin wrote:DarkB, I spoke with Lame today and asked him if I could take this project back. I'm slowly getting better and it would be nice to have something like this to work on. I'm going to begin primary coding on this tonight so feel free to direct all your requests back to me now. Sorry if you feel a bit jerked around but I'd like to do this for you since I said I would before.

So in short you want relics that:
- Spawn only where placed.
- When in a player's inventory that dies they go back to the respawn place ready to be picked up again or dropped where the person was killed?
- Can be set to a particular team

Does that pretty much cover things?

-spawn/respawn where placed

-bDropWhenDead

-respawn options?:
--- "if bDropWhenDead is False," respawn on death (like in Q3TA/Quake Live, I would suppose that this is the important one if you don't want to make any options)
---"if bDropWhenDead is False," timed respawn, where the relic respawns after a certain amount of time (my original idea)
---"if bDropWhenDead is True," no respawn ("TournamentPuckup>>>RelicInventory>>>stuffs" default setting) BUT the relic would have to respawn if it dropped into a deathzone or lava/slime pit, like a CTF flag, making it usable for DM/TDM/Dom games.
---respawn options are necessasary for the Redemption and Death relics to work

-RespawnTime;
---should be a default variable in the other Tournament Pickups. it's even there for the default RelicInventory>>>stuffs, it just doesn't work.
---would be essential for the "if bDropWhenDead is True, no Respawn" option

-particular teams;
---0/1 can be red/blue like flags and spawns, perhaps a value of "None" or "4" could make it so any team could pick it up? it would be useful for DM/TDM/Dom games

Dr.Flay wrote:Wormbo's enhanced Relics/Items would be a good framework to work under, as it has options to control spawn rates.

Just remembered, there are the Quake3 relics available for use with it.
http://www.koehler-homepage.de/Wormbo/Q3T.html
-possibly somehow make this work with Wormbo's Enhanced Relics? definitely not entirely essential, but they have additions and certain problems fixed:
---relic-hud problems fixed
---Speed relic messing with jump boots and also giving weapons an optional fire rate boost, looks like it's assignable in UED
---Strength relic combine with damage amp option, looks like it's also assignable within UED
---added Wealth relic (ammo regen), which flows well with the other relics
---when a player is using a relic, it's made a bit more obvious through effects, but that may require the Enhanced Items mutator to take effect.
---wormbo has the EI source posted to download http://www.koehler-homepage.de/Wormbo/download.html#EI
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

This got a lot more complicated than "can you remove the relic moving around" :/

Probably tomorrow I'll post the download for the finished relic package that still has the normal relic moving-around code. I did a whole new set of simple relics and if I finish the last one tonight I will ask for some testers. Once you get a look at that we can work from there. I'm not going to make a mod package dependent on wormbo's stuff though. It's just too involved. I'll add a couple of the easier options you want but you are turning relics into something resembling a gametype. I'll do what I promised for you but I don't want to take on a full-on project.

Anyways I'll post up some video tomorrow and ask for beta testers.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
darkbarrage99
Skilled

Post by darkbarrage99 »

JackGriffin wrote:This got a lot more complicated than "can you remove the relic moving around" :/

Probably tomorrow I'll post the download for the finished relic package that still has the normal relic moving-around code. I did a whole new set of simple relics and if I finish the last one tonight I will ask for some testers. Once you get a look at that we can work from there. I'm not going to make a mod package dependent on wormbo's stuff though. It's just too involved. I'll add a couple of the easier options you want but you are turning relics into something resembling a gametype. I'll do what I promised for you but I don't want to take on a full-on project.

Anyways I'll post up some video tomorrow and ask for beta testers.

oh, sorry i was kinda throwin out ideas while i was typing what i wanted >_< had a bit o the ol ballentine's that night lol but i even mentioned in what i typed that not all of it was essential

if you only want to implement the three - Spawn only where placed / When in a player's inventory that dies they go back to the respawn place ready to be picked up again or dropped where the person was killed / Can be set to a particular team " thing that's perfectly cool. :) just know that if you create a drop when dead function as a boolean and it's set to true, there would need to be something in the code that would bring the relic back to the map if it were to fall into the gastly zone of lava death.

but seriously, no stress do whatever you would like ;) youdaman jack!
darkbarrage99
Skilled

Post by darkbarrage99 »

haven't been back for a while, has there been any progress on this?