Faster speed?

Discussions about Coding and Scripting
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Faster speed?

Post by Chamberly »

Just had a discussion with a friend and he wanted to have faster download maintenance with server and client side other than using 20,000 as max.

So the thought I had was... I think you have to have a coder to build a new NetworkDevice driver (both server actor mod and client add-on). Sort of like NetworkDevice=IpDrv.TcpNetDriver.

Is that possible as example of being able to download minimum 20,000 to at least 1 MB to max? Or would that also cause some conflict in the speed of the game like the CPU bugs (if you have more than 1 CPU since UT is CPU dependent)?

Just questioning the idea, he might be registering and replying to this post. lol.
$carface
Skilled

Re: Faster speed?

Post by $carface »

If I understand correctly, you want to change people's netspeed right?

I think you should not change people's netspeed as everyone has certain settings to which they like their feel of the game. Some people put hours and days into finding the correct settings they like to play with. Netspeed and tickrate also correlate. So you can't have a netspeed of 8,000 netspeed with a serverside tickrate of 65 or even 100 as the client will fail to receive the updates.

What you should be doing instead is making sure that clients have a safe minimum netspeed. For example on our IG servers, I force every client to have at least 10,000 netspeed. This is because people can lower it while playing (by bind) making it harder to hit them while they have the flag. I saw some people playing with netspeeds of 2,000 and when speccing them, they were warping everywhere with flag but without they were fine, which points to netspeed abuse. There's also anti net hack to counter this (constantly changing) which I can send you.

I'm a believer in not punishing people for things that I can prevent. And this is something preventable, hence not really require punishment. With UTPURE you can force minimum netspeed.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

medor wrote:+ 1

i ave set mini 15000 and up to Anti_Netspeed_Change http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/utfi ... Change.zip
Chamberly
Godlike

Post by Chamberly »

"So you can't have a netspeed of 8,000 netspeed with a serverside tickrate of 65 or even 100 as the client will fail to receive the updates."

I was thinking of something similar and guessing it wouldn't work (If you go over 20,000). Thanks for the info.
Perhap I did saw a server that said Change your netspeed to 200000 or something like that (over the max value)... I don't understand why.

ANS is a good 1, got it on my server. :)
$carface
Skilled

Post by $carface »

Chamberly wrote:Perhap I did saw a server that said Change your netspeed to 200000 or something like that (over the max value)... I don't understand why.
That's pretty stupid. Admin on that server obviously has no clue what he is doing or maybe causing.

Almost no server will have MaxClientRate higher than 20000. So you can't go higher than that anyway.

So here is the math for 200000 netspeed

200000/64 = 3125.00 FPS

UT breaks over 180 FPS so this guy is an absolute moron...

I'm still a bit confused what you were asking originally though so I will just wrap it up for you in both ways.
netspeed 10000 is 10000/64 = 156fps
(64 because each time your computer does an update, it sends about 64 bytes of data)

Take into account netspeed does not affect download speed from redirect servers

If you are not talking netspeed but about the server side configured internet/lan speed however, you should amend the following.

[Engine.Player]
ConfiguredInternetSpeed=2600
ConfiguredLanSpeed=20000

Overall download speed of files though depend on your redirect, the quality of the line, quality of client side connection and speed. So there's not much you can really do other than find a really good host to redirect your server with. I'd recommend MDDHosting or making a visit to webhostingtalk.com

If anyone have dedicated hosting environment, I'd suggest using Varnish to serve static files, or using an NGINX reverse proxy (as free options) or if you want to pay, you can purchase a litespeed webserver license (waste of money IMO)
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

Maintenance purposes?

I can pretty much handle myself with a shitty line and a nice FTP, thanks to the above poster that is.

It's all a matter of skill and experience.
If you don't know how to maintain, bugfix, profile and setup a server, not even working on the actual server terminal will help you.

Good thing is, this is one of the place to ask about those things...
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:200,000 to download the files and then use the fix scarface mentioned to lower it and keep it low. It's not a bad idea, or you can just set up a redirect. I think you are right that there is a client somewhere between 400 and 436 that that don't use redirects but allows downloads
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

My redirect... is on my own computer.
And it's a nice choice for fast, compressed downloads + low netspeed.

All I used is an Apache server, but anyone else sure knows faster and more reliable services.
Chamberly
Godlike

Post by Chamberly »

I thought it is nut to have the server title line telling you to set your netspeed above 20,000 as well. I don't even understand what the guy want exactly... but I did give him this site and hopefully there would be plenty of useful information for him.

I'd think it's redirect related as well.