Why is UT99 the best?

Discussions about UT99
DiiPhantom
Novice
Personal rank: ZOD Member

Re: Why is UT99 the best?

Post by DiiPhantom »

I guess Epic had 2 things in mind:

1. MONEY and SECURITY: Console games are much harder to cr@ck and play for free on the internet, whereas pc versions are more open to not being buyed and easy to download and crack. so consoles are more secure to bring in profits. they Failed to see that the ut99 community is still waiting for a version to overtake ut99.

SUPPORT: I guess they didnt bother to take opinion from UT99 players or communities. I guess this referst o CLOSE Source,vs OPEN source lol. THEY FORGOT WHO GIVES THEM SUPPORT!
DesslochSpD

Post by DesslochSpD »

I love UT - It's the only game I have installed on my PC and after 10 years I still play every single day!
bombenpaule
Experienced
Personal rank: UT fanatic

Post by bombenpaule »

Very nice!
I installed just one game, too: UT!
But cannot play every day... S.O.R.R.Y.!.!.!
*shame*
connect community IRC-Channel here: http://www.tribute2ut.de.vu

Sorry 4 my bad english! I´m a german UT99 fanatic!

....--Never eat the yellow snow!--....

Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

bombenpaule wrote: But cannot play every day... S.O.R.R.Y.!.!.!
*shame*
Absolute. You will go to hell or sacrifice every day at least one person with the redeemer... :ironic2:
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Air
Novice

Post by Air »

No other game comes equipped with Ued.
The only game that can compare, imo, is Deus Ex. Best FPS/RPG storyline ever.
Lee_Stricklin
Adept

Post by Lee_Stricklin »

This is the only online FPS that was able to last nearly a decade without anybody denying the fact that it is the best of it's kind. To date I've found ONLY TWO GAMES (Nexuiz 2.5+ and Tribes 2) that can compare to it, but none have overthrown it.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Air wrote:No other game comes equipped with Ued.
The only game that can compare, imo, is Deus Ex. Best FPS/RPG storyline ever.
Which actually is also UEngine 1 based :D
[did]Madis
Adept
Personal rank: カニはとても美味しい

Post by [did]Madis »

I'm so sad that DX:IW was so badly designed. I need a goddamn successor to Deus Ex 1, damnit.
Support Nuclear Races by visiting our ModDB profile
brdempsey69
Average
Personal rank: Ex Marine

Post by brdempsey69 »

Another reason why the original UT will always remain the best is because Epic has stated in their own words that they are putting the UT series on the shelf. That means you won't see another UT game for several years.

The sad thing is the way Epic has treated the original UT like a stupid stepchild ever since UT2003 was released in 2002. I mean original UT won them 1999 Game of the Year honors & what for does Epic want to turn their thumb down on it as though it were a plague? Regardless of their reasoning, it backfired on them, as the original UT community has done a great job of keeping UT alive & at the same time giving Epic a big throbbing middle finger of defiance, as far as Epic wanting to push original UT out of the picture.

Personally, I'm glad that the community has taken over completely with the original UT, and it's better for all of us, at this stage of the game, that Epic keeps their hands off it, especially given what they did to UT3 ( butchered up console port & patches and Bonus Packs didn't fix it ).

Long live the original UT. It will always be the best.
zacman
Adept
Personal rank: M-M-M-MONSTER KILL

Post by zacman »

UT99 is just one of those games... It has a simple structure of if it moves, shoot it. And if you want more than that, all you do is make a download, or open Ued. It's just got a timeless quality.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198048595886]Image[/url]
Sergeant Todd
Adept
Personal rank: Retired Jedi

Post by Sergeant Todd »

zacman wrote:UT99 is just one of those games... It has a simple structure of if it moves, shoot it. And if you want more than that, all you do is make a download, or open Ued. It's just got a timeless quality.
Aside from the fact you can still play it on lower end computers, look at some of the fine custom maps and mutators still being made for UT99. Any of these letters sound familiar? How about UTR, UNLD, CTC, FOT, TDC, the Russian Bonuspack, I could go on and on. good stuff, folks....

IMO, the gameplay and sheer frag (spam) fun of UT haven't been approached by either UT2003 or 4. And..The lightning gun? Please..... :roll:
Sergeant Todd
---------------

"I miss Olmos & BG, as a matter of frak'd!"
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

Sergeant Todd wrote: And..The lightning gun? Please..... :roll:
What's wrong with it? I made one for my nali pack :oops: :tongue:
Actually, there is a really good one for UT2004 (from Ballistic Weapons), I don't remember its name though.

But yes, many things for UT1 are still being developed, I won't say what now, but instead where:
here at ut99.org, unrealsp, beyondunreal, moddb, ut-slv, hof, urs and planetmonsterhunt. Of course, there are more places, but most of them have been quite inactive for a while (unrealplayground, levels4you [and you know it too well Sg Todd :\], some clan sites, etc).
[did]Madis
Adept
Personal rank: カニはとても美味しい

Post by [did]Madis »

What exactly is UrS developing for ut99? The original UrS migrated to 2k4 (ASC is their legacy, though) to support and mod strangelove for it, while the new ut99 urs doesn't do much but promote foul play.
Support Nuclear Races by visiting our ModDB profile
Sergeant Todd
Adept
Personal rank: Retired Jedi

Post by Sergeant Todd »

Feralidragon wrote:
Sergeant Todd wrote: And..The lightning gun? Please..... :roll:
What's wrong with it? I made one for my nali pack :oops: :tongue:
Actually, there is a really good one for UT2004 (from Ballistic Weapons), I don't remember its name though
I have to admit that later LG versions were much better with better ROF, and the one you made was cool, Ferali :tu: .....but the original spooled up so slowly, I'd be dead before I could get off a shot (or is it 'bolt'?) :D
Sergeant Todd
---------------

"I miss Olmos & BG, as a matter of frak'd!"
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

[did]Madis wrote:What exactly is UrS developing for ut99? The original UrS migrated to 2k4 (ASC is their legacy, though) to support and mod strangelove for it, while the new ut99 urs doesn't do much but promote foul play.
Sorry, it was a typo there, I didn't want to mean Urs :lol2: I wanted to say Uk (Unreal Killers) instead. Uk basically is still around the Siege mod just fixing bugs and enhancing/adding new stuff to it. And so far, it got indeed much better and visually appealing.
Sergeant Todd wrote: I have to admit that later LG versions were much better with better ROF, and the one you made was cool, Ferali :tu: .....but the original spooled up so slowly, I'd be dead before I could get off a shot (or is it 'bolt'?) :D
To say the truth, I liked the Lightning Gun from UT2004, but I think in UT2004 the lightning effects from the game overall could be WAAAY better in that engine. I mean, they made lasers and fire effects really nicelly done, but the nukes and electric effects weren't that good (the worse on is the electric effects after the core explosion in ONS).
Of course, my effects aren't that good either, but at least I got an excuse (hobby + UEngine1.x, while in UT2004 they have UEngine2.x + professionals lol).
But in Ballistic Weapons the electric effect is excellent: