How need fix UT_ShieldBelt issue?

Discussions about Coding and Scripting

Which setting must be by default for UT_ShieldBelt?

Remove only exactly Armor2/ThighPads
86%
Remove only Armor2/ThighPads and all subclasses for it
14%
Remove only exactly Armor2/ThighPads/all types of Unreal armor
No votes
Remove only Armor2/ThighPads/all types of Unreal armor and all subclasses for it
No votes

Total votes: 7

Buggie
Godlike

Re: How need fix UT_ShieldBelt issue?

Post by Buggie »

Again. This topic targeted only one bug and one question: "Which setting must be by default for UT_ShieldBelt?"
So please create new topic if you want talk about another bug. Even if it related to UT_Shieldbelt.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

I agree that the default has to be that picking up the shield belt removes only the armor2/thigh pads as this option improves the existing situation (for example, won't remove the toxin suit) and won't lead to the removal of any held items subclassed from those.

As a matter of interest, why no option not to remove anything (so that if you pick up the Shield belt after picking up armor2 and/or thigh pads and/or any other item like the toxin suit none of these is removed)?

I'm curious about the circumstances in which one can accumulate armor points upto 9999 - all of the mods that I have seen in which one can accumulate armor points in excess of 150 have their own HUD (like X-pickups or EXU or particular SP campaigns played in Oldskool Amp'd).
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

Also want mention both armor and thighpads search exactly UT_Shieldbelt. Not any subclasses of it.

Options remove all or remove nothing obviously wrong as defaults. Remove all is can be written in config like "Inventory+". Nothing as empty string.
Wrong because: remove all current situation and we see it is problem. Nothing create another problem - armor and thignpads correct own charge for fit limitation. If we choose default as nothing then pickup shield last give more total armor rather from pickup shield first. Same as before just from opposite direction.

Yes, but in usual game possible cases where you can get more than 150. I describe it here.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Thanks for all your replies - I have now voted. Pity that this issue doesn't seem to generating much interest.
TankBeef
Masterful

Post by TankBeef »

OjitroC wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:05 pm Thanks for all your replies - I have now voted. Pity that this issue doesn't seem to generating much interest.
EDIT: Nevermind, I finally got it. :lol2: Voting right now.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

OjitroC wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:05 pm Pity that this issue doesn't seem to generating much interest.
I already have solved that for my server: if the charge of another armor is higher than the current one and if they are stackable, it can be picked up, else not. Some kinds of Armor are stackable ("Armor2" with "ThighPads" and one suit) and some not (Suits, ShieltBelts). Also I added that the same type of armor can only be picked up if the charge of the current one is below 70 %.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
1337GameDev
Skilled
Personal rank: GameDev

Post by 1337GameDev »

Honestly, because it’s a bit convoluted, and while it could impact “strategy” of armors, I think we should just make the shield belt not remove armors.

I feel the impact of this, while different than stock, will not be felt often, and will simplify armor stacking to be intuitive and not dumb / frustrating for players, especially ones that are newer. Removing armor also feels like a bug, especially when you can pick up armor afterwards and it stacks as you’d expect. It’s also odd for versions BEFORE 469 that hide this by capping armor at 150, but taking damage and the armor value not going down, which feels like a bug.

What do you think the impact of changing this would be? For me, it could be mods / mutators that rely on removing armors if shieldbelt is picked up, but I feel this kind of defeats the idea of the shieldbelt (it’s a shield that goes over your character and equipment) and feel that mods / mutators will in general not care or will want stacking armor. I feel not many mods / mutators will not be affected negatively, but please correct me if there’s an obv example that is actually cared about.

I know this idea goes against, the idea of “dont change functionality,” but I feel this change would be beneficial, not an overall negative, and will make pickups for armor more intuitive.

Just my thoughts, as I understand some may disagree as this changes the underlying functionality, but I feel for network play, this can be compatible with prior versions (as the server dictates replicated info, and not the client).

Thoughts, or am I way out of line here? :?
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

All guides how to play will be usless. Also world live own life. So some servers never be updated to v469c+. Some players never use it. So on one server strategy must be one, but on another different?
Play on server with one strategy, train locally with another?

Better stay consistent. Epic choose this way of work trio of armors (Shield, Armor, ThighPads), so we need stay on original behavior, even if it look like illogical at same point. Too late change something.
Peamole
Average
Personal rank: Dinghy-O-Death Cap'n

Post by Peamole »

Too bad there isn't an option to keep all other shields. I'd choose that one. Why not make it possible to wear a UT_ShieldBelt over Armor2 or ThighPads and when it wears out, the other shields will take over. What if shielding display number didn't max out at 150 but 300 instead? I have UT99 v436 now...

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question. I didn't vote cause I didn't like that it missed this option.
1337GameDev
Skilled
Personal rank: GameDev

Post by 1337GameDev »

Buggie wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:57 am All guides how to play will be usless. Also world live own life. So some servers never be updated to v469c+. Some players never use it. So on one server strategy must be one, but on another different?
Play on server with one strategy, train locally with another?

Better stay consistent. Epic choose this way of work trio of armors (Shield, Armor, ThighPads), so we need stay on original behavior, even if it look like illogical at same point. Too late change something.
Well, i guess i can understand that, I just REALLY hate that it removes armor, purely based on order of operations. I feel Epic DID want it to cap armor at what the HUD is capped at visually, but didn't finish that functionality (like so many other things in the engine). But I agree with your ideas, and the base logic should be maintained, no matter how PAINFUL it is.... :(

If the consensus is to keep exact same logic for base game, and we don't care about mods that rely on the core game removing their subclasses of the built-in armors, then this topic is essentially answered and we should hardcode checks for these classes and not remove subclasses.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

Peamole wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:57 pm Too bad there isn't an option to keep all other shields. I'd choose that one. Why not make it possible to wear a UT_ShieldBelt over Armor2 or ThighPads and when it wears out, the other shields will take over. What if shielding display number didn't max out at 150 but 300 instead? I have UT99 v436 now...

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question. I didn't vote cause I didn't like that it missed this option.
Because Armor2 and ThighPads already contain special code for capped self if player already have UT_ShieldBelt.