Deckard's Revenge

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
browndl
Skilled

Deckard's Revenge

Post by browndl »

/// RE- RELEASE!!! \ \ \

I am having to rerelease the map. My sincerest apologies. There appeared to be a BSP error I was unaware of that would affect gameplay. Again my apologies.

Here is a release of the map if you do not want to download the entire map pack from the contest.

The map is fully pathed for bot support. Would love feed back. As of this post a winner for the contest has not been announced.

https://www.ut99maps.net/maps/sniper/DM ... nge_V3.zip

Preview of a new map that I will be releasing soon.

Have a great day everyone.
Last edited by browndl on Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.
UT99 DM-DSKilnWorks3993:DM-DSWashNDry:DM-DSRedDawn:DM-DSBacktoSchool:DM-DSTowerBridge:DM-DSDeadeyeCanyon:DM-DSSectionn8Refinery:DM-DeckardsRevenge:DM-DSStudio:DM-SniperTown:DM-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-Wastelands:DM-TurboGen23:DM-LongForgotten:DOM-Dockside:CTF-enMakhana:CTF-UrbanSniper:CTF-CanyonWars:CTF-DSTowerBridge Unreal Badlands CiderTown UT99 Infiltration DM-INF-MagnumDocksDeluxe:DM-INF-MagnumDocks2:DM-INF-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-INF-CityStorageLotA][:DM-INF-ColumbianDrugLord:EAS-INF-DS-RailBridge:DM-INF-ACityBlock:CTF-INF-SavageKillersHeadQuarters:CTF-INF-Capital:CTF-INF-ComplexB UT2003/04 DM-PineValley:DM-Koltoff:CTF-PawnsKeep:CTF-Ardimus Rainbow Six RavenShield AlleyStrike
UTPe
Masterful
Personal rank: Dude

Re: Deckard's Revenge

Post by UTPe »

browndl wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:27 pm Preview of a new map that I will be releasing soon.
I like this map, it reminds me those beloved oldschool sniper times.
Personal map database: http://www.ut99maps.net

"These are the days that we will return to one day in the future only in memories." (The Midnight)
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Okay, love what I see in the video and good musical selection.

The overall skybox looks amazing but you've got some ends of the map with generic UT-buildings on the flat border that seem out of place.

Love the hologram advertising, and there's this one building the gets to center screen at 0:19 that doesn't entirely look possible... but it's the future so no problem there.

Look forward to playing it sometime.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
a9902957@nepwk.com
Experienced

Post by a9902957@nepwk.com »

This looks awesome.
You should play with SmarterBots or TWFSightRadius, so the bots will spot others further away.
Fits Night's Edge well. I wish there were more SA and IE maps for that mod.
https://www.rps.net/NE/Manual/page03.html
https://www.rps.net/NE/Concept/nemaphowto.html
For myself I fixed a bug with the bots getting stuck looting corpses.
It's so big it could involve the XVehicles heli or so.

Ooh, or imagine a CTF variant with flags positioned in a way where bots with SLV204 (the one where you can still activate bot support) will figure out a working route to fly.

Apprehension and BattleRoyale might also shine there.
browndl
Skilled

Post by browndl »

a9902957@nepwk.com wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:59 pm This looks awesome.
You should play with SmarterBots or TWFSightRadius, so the bots will spot others further away.
Fits Night's Edge well. I wish there were more SA and IE maps for that mod.
https://www.rps.net/NE/Manual/page03.html
https://www.rps.net/NE/Concept/nemaphowto.html
For myself I fixed a bug with the bots getting stuck looting corpses.
It's so big it could involve the XVehicles heli or so.

Ooh, or imagine a CTF variant with flags positioned in a way where bots with SLV204 (the one where you can still activate bot support) will figure out a working route to fly.

Apprehension and BattleRoyale might also shine there.
Thanks for the kind words, though after "looks awesome" I have no clue what any of those things you mentioned are (except CTF of course). LOL I hope it lives up to your expectations. Just waiting for the winner to be announced over at CITE and then I will be able to release the map.

Thanks, everyone, for your responses.
UT99 DM-DSKilnWorks3993:DM-DSWashNDry:DM-DSRedDawn:DM-DSBacktoSchool:DM-DSTowerBridge:DM-DSDeadeyeCanyon:DM-DSSectionn8Refinery:DM-DeckardsRevenge:DM-DSStudio:DM-SniperTown:DM-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-Wastelands:DM-TurboGen23:DM-LongForgotten:DOM-Dockside:CTF-enMakhana:CTF-UrbanSniper:CTF-CanyonWars:CTF-DSTowerBridge Unreal Badlands CiderTown UT99 Infiltration DM-INF-MagnumDocksDeluxe:DM-INF-MagnumDocks2:DM-INF-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-INF-CityStorageLotA][:DM-INF-ColumbianDrugLord:EAS-INF-DS-RailBridge:DM-INF-ACityBlock:CTF-INF-SavageKillersHeadQuarters:CTF-INF-Capital:CTF-INF-ComplexB UT2003/04 DM-PineValley:DM-Koltoff:CTF-PawnsKeep:CTF-Ardimus Rainbow Six RavenShield AlleyStrike
browndl
Skilled

Post by browndl »

Added a link to the map on first post.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Really enjoy this map - have played it quite a bit. I particularly like the eclectic range of buildings and textures, gives the map a dystopian feel and a distinct sense of place (which sets it apart from the 'average' urban map). Plenty of places to camp and snipe - easy movement especially (but not just) around the highest points so the connectivity is good.

The holograms are a neat idea - work well and provide a landmark.

As you hint at in the readme, the default UT sniper rifle is not particularly useful - I use an AWP from CounterStrike which is powerful and has a long range though the scope/zoom is a bit limited - still I can hit things when firing from one end to the other so that's OK. A good translocator is essential as well.

I don't think the fog works for me - using D3D9 and OpenGL in 469c, with volumetric lighting enabled - is there another setting I need to alter?
jmartin
Skilled

Post by jmartin »

It's better than a lot of other Blade Runner maps I've seen.

Nice work Browndl :tu:
browndl
Skilled

Post by browndl »

OjitroC wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:18 pm Really enjoy this map - have played it quite a bit. I particularly like the eclectic range of buildings and textures, gives the map a dystopian feel and a distinct sense of place (which sets it apart from the 'average' urban map). Plenty of places to camp and snipe - easy movement especially (but not just) around the highest points so the connectivity is good.

The holograms are a neat idea - work well and provide a landmark.

As you hint at in the readme, the default UT sniper rifle is not particularly useful - I use an AWP from CounterStrike which is powerful and has a long range though the scope/zoom is a bit limited - still I can hit things when firing from one end to the other so that's OK. A good translocator is essential as well.

I don't think the fog works for me - using D3D9 and OpenGL in 469c, with volumetric lighting enabled - is there another setting I need to alter?
Thanks for the thorough review. I removed the fog at the request of the contest host due to the fact that the contest maps are being used in their competitions. With all the different renderers available today some showed the fog, some did not. I hope you have many great games on it.   
Auto merged new post submitted 1 minute later
jmartin wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:32 pm It's better than a lot of other Blade Runner maps I've seen.

Nice work Browndl :tu:
Thanks so much! Glad you like it.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

browndl wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:27 pm The map is fully pathed for bot support. Would love feed back. As of this post a winner for the contest has not been announced.
There is a little note here...
Well executed in big parts with something less entertaining. Actually pathing sometimes might show geometry problems - non-colliding floors heading to death after fall. PathNode405 and PathNode404 (and reversal) are not connected disregarding how do things are looking like in said spot...
DRVG2.PNG
The rest are not such a big deal, BulletBox26 and BulletBox27 are isolated from A.I. access.

Something that seems to improve stage:
Brush239 must be cleaned by miss-aligned data, nearby "solids" touching it might be "semisolid" types as well. So far spots are reported as navigable.
browndl
Skilled

Post by browndl »

sektor2111 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:37 pm
browndl wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:27 pm The map is fully pathed for bot support. Would love feed back. As of this post a winner for the contest has not been announced.
There is a little note here...
Well executed in big parts with something less entertaining. Actually pathing sometimes might show geometry problems - non-colliding floors heading to death after fall. PathNode405 and PathNode404 (and reversal) are not connected disregarding how do things are looking like in said spot...
DRVG2.PNG
The rest are not such a big deal, BulletBox26 and BulletBox27 are isolated from A.I. access.

Something that seems to improve stage:
Brush239 must be cleaned by miss-aligned data, nearby "solids" touching it might be "semisolid" types as well. So far spots are reported as navigable.
Thanks for taking the time to provide this information. Can't really say what happened, those paths connected when I placed them there and being this was a release for a contest I was unable to beta test it. And I never really noticed that the bots had ceased using that path as they teleport from the other direction. I really hate to try and release another version as this one is already running on several servers. EDIT I will have to release another version as there is a serious BSP issue there.   
Auto merged new post submitted 16 minutes later
I have modified the link in the original post to download the fixed version. To avoid mismatches I have renamed the map file adding V3. Thanks sektor2111 for the heads up.   
Auto merged new post submitted 8 minutes later
Proof of the fix.
Error.jpg
esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Post by esnesi »

Thanks for this map!
I love that the top of the buildings are easy to reach with the translocator.

The city theme and signs also look very beautiful.
The holograms are a nice touch!
browndl
Skilled

Post by browndl »

esnesi wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:23 pm Thanks for this map!
I love that the top of the buildings are easy to reach with the translocator.

The city theme and signs also look very beautiful.
The holograms are a nice touch!
Thanks so much! There are also two lifts, one each at opposite ends of the map, that take you to the top of the buildings.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Thanks for this... However I'll keep the one that I could solve with full access at all items.
Nice work, man.
browndl
Skilled

Post by browndl »

Updated the link to the ACTUAL fixed file.   
Auto merged new post submitted 7 hours 55 minutes later
If anyone is interested, the contest has been announced and Deckard's Revenge placed last. Maybe next time.