WiP CTF-Duku2023

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Baardman
Skilled

WiP CTF-Duku2023

Post by Baardman »

what do you guys think? i changed the texture of CTF-duku to make it more pleasing for the eye.
i was thinking of adding a waterfall from CTF-Kosov where the pipes are and some plant foilage decoration from CTF-kosov but i dont know how. I guess a special brush but i dont know wich options,
fudgonaut
Adept
Personal rank: Easy Target

Re: WiP CTF-Duku2023

Post by fudgonaut »

Baardman wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:04 am i was thinking of adding a waterfall from CTF-Kosov where the pipes are and some plant foilage decoration from CTF-kosov but i dont know how.
For pipes, plants, etc
Go to UnrealEd > Actor Class Browser > Decoration (and / or UnrealEd > Actor Class Browser > Decoration > ut_Decoration)
Select a decoration.
Right-click in one of your editor views, the context menu will give you the option to add the decoration you have selected.
Once you've added the decoration, you can select it and move it around the map

For waterfalls, look at any map that has one, and copy what they do. They are usually sheet brushes with an animated texture and the Surface Properties set to Translucent. Or a static texture with the Surface Property set to U-pan.

As for your map textures, looks good except keep the default textures for the flags. Most UT players probably aren't interested in running around with country flags.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

I'd say the overall outside lighting doesn't match the skybox, looks very yellow for a place in clear skies. Either a different skybox or a tweak with the lights' settings would fix that.
Baardman
Skilled

Post by Baardman »

UnrealGGecko wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:51 pm I'd say the overall outside lighting doesn't match the skybox, looks very yellow for a place in clear skies. Either a different skybox or a tweak with the lights' settings would fix that.
you see that correct, i did tone the zonelights down to test how it looks. you are right.

and the country flag is a mutator that was still turned on.

do you guys know a place to get free textures? im searching for hours, but everything seems to cost money this days.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

viewtopic.php?t=2786 - Random Texture thread from various mappers, pretty sure all you see here can be used.
viewtopic.php?t=4683 - many links might be outdated now but here's a thread linking sites with commercial and non-commercial use textures.
Finally have a look through some mappacks like CTC, FoT, etc.
fudgonaut
Adept
Personal rank: Easy Target

Post by fudgonaut »

A good place to start for textures are sites like Sketchup Texture Club, textures.com and other sites where you can sign up for a free account. Access is usually limited, but enough to meet most needs.

Open Game Art is completely free. In some cases you may need to do some homework on extracting/converting file formats. For example, Makkon's textures require a .wad extractor because he made them for Quake. Check out the bottom of Philip K's page for some good textures which are packaged for QuakeIII and Half-Life 2. This is where a program like Dragon UnPacker comes in. It also helps to have Photoshop, Gimp, or a similar program the lets you re-size/convert/crop images to meet your needs.

Honestly there are a gazillion ways to find textures on the internet. Targeted Google keyword searches are your friend.

It all depends on how much work you want to put into it.