Big UT Beta maps conversion pack (Ratchet, Cathode, and other maps)

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Big UT Beta maps conversion pack (Ratchet, Cathode, and other maps)

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

So this is the big pack I've been preparing for a while with the rest of the exclusive maps plus some differing maps that I felt like converting also.

DOM Ratchet. An unknown author map, possibly alan willard, like described in the readme.

UTRatchet

DmLiandri. This is one of the most changed maps thorought UT developement. This is more similar to the 222 version (which ut conversion got released separately before, see the readme), but still has differences like a completely new/different floor, the outside part is not so interconnected yet, etc.

UTLiandriOld

Cathode. An old version of the BonusPack4 map Bulletproof aka Dom-Bullet. Yes, its that old, it was reused and retextured later for BP4. And given pre-release images and videos there were more versions of this map that we never got to play that were even more different.

UTCathode

Mazon, beta version. Even though ironically there were three versions of this map recovered, there's really nothing missing from the other versions that the last 222 version has. So I converted only that.

UTMazonB

Rook Beta. Unfortunately the 221 version didn't contain the earlier rook that was seen on pre-release screenshots (some high quality) and the preview image found in the UT beta 222 that I also used for this (despite it not matching this version).

So there's only one beta version of this map recovered so far unfortunately.

UTRookB

a slightly altered version as a test
with the undeleted lights restored (you don't need to download this really, its kinda redundant)
ROOKLIGHTB

Ocean Floor Beta (222) and OLD (221). Not much I can say about this except try to read the readme files.

OceanFloorB

OceanFloorOld

Fractal. One of the few cases where the official screenshot provided differed from both the beta versions and the released UT version or perhaps the only case actually.

BetaFractal

Sesmar. One of the most memorable maps of UT and having a version also in the "beta demos", this map is one of the unique examples of appearing in every single UT version known to exist. The 221 version had a unique version of egypt.utx so i tried to preserve that and also provide an edit of the 222 version with that same texture pack separately.

SesmarPack

Peak. Not too different when it comes to layout or geometry, however there is difference in texturing and inventory placement and the oldest version has some funny near-death messages too in text.

BetaUTPeak

Conveyor. This one I considered not doing or putting much priority on and it has a few problems like the 222 version is a bsp nightmare and the 221 version(s) do have some oddities like the missing hanging light that was obviously there once hence the floating corona at the lift...

ConveyorPack

Zeto. Well this one also had official screenshots in both versions so fractal is not the only one. This one changed progressively and in ut beta 221 this is the map that had stinger and pulsegun originally coexisting, because it was originally made under earlier 220 version when the pulsegun got introduced (that version is missing except I made a kind of restored version by adding the 221 pulsegun into it). The 222 version is unique in a way to acess the secret mostly and some minor things as opposed to the release version.

ZETOPACK

Pressure. Now this is kind of the inverse of the screenshot situation. They kept the same old stinky screenshot for ALL the versions and you can see in the release UT that you can see the Unreal Shellbox still on the screenshot too, haha. So to keep this unique I had to take separate screenshots. The map changed though and you can see for yourself.

PressurePack

I seriously sometimes wonder the consistency of Epic and the official screenshots, like several maps like Face, Pressure, Pyramid (I believe?) had such outdated screenshots still or screenshots that never changed thorought developement yet some rare instances had screenshots even when they weren't used in the 221 version. Just some dm maps but still. The mind boggles.... (edit: forgot to mention lavagiant also suffering from that too I think)

I hope you enjoy. That's all. For now. But most of the unique maps were covered. This is not every single map from the 221 beta converted yet but its very close to it. That plus all my other threads on this topic from before...
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Re: Big UT Beta maps conversion pack (Ratchet, Cathode, and other maps)

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

I know that many of you guys viewed this but do yo have any opibions on those maps?

sorry for my bad typing I'm not feeling good right now
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Leo(T.C.K.) wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:58 pmI know that many of you guys viewed this but do yo have any opibions on those maps?
They, not surprisingly, look like variants of the maps that came with UT... except for one.

Haven't played them as yet.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Goes to show how long ago I played the default maps, some of them took way too long to see a major difference in them lol.

Thanks for all of these dude. Liandri being THIS different in all versions now is very interesting. I have a (very extremely early) wip project of am egyptian themed DM-Liandri for the 25th anniversary mappack, which I'm planning on swapping out a few sections with the 222 version, although this 221 floor looks like it could work too.

Also didn't even recognise Cathode being Bullet looks way different! And Ratchet seems pretty fun map actually.
Cheers!
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

I actually wanted to do a special version by merging the two together (kind of like there's also the merge of the 222 liandri and the plain ut one as an extra map in the forgotten bonuspack).
But I didn't get around to that.

There are some small differences as well like extra secrets in areas where they got removed later (like the one with the rifle/sniperrifle behind the vent cover which is fake).

For the egyptian version you could take bits of all versions maybe lol.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Yeah, I don't wanna go full on XXL version though, maybe cherry pick a few sections of each or something, get my own little spin with the layout.
Still early on and I haven't touched it in months though. I have time but the motivation ain't there :/
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

UnrealGGecko wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:52 am Yeah, I don't wanna go full on XXL version though, maybe cherry pick a few sections of each or something, get my own little spin with the layout.
Still early on and I haven't touched it in months though. I have time but the motivation ain't there :/
Yea that sounds good.
Acoma
Average

Post by Acoma »

hey leo i was wondering if you still had that 225 conversion you made of the 221 pulse gun i tried to download it off of your post on the other website but it gives me a 404 error
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Acoma wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:54 pm hey leo i was wondering if you still had that 225 conversion you made of the 221 pulse gun i tried to download it off of your post on the other website but it gives me a 404 error
Can you send me a pm with the link? I wonder what got wrong, I can correct it most likely, if you can point me to the exact thread etc.
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Acoma wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:54 pm hey leo i was wondering if you still had that 225 conversion you made of the 221 pulse gun i tried to download it off of your post on the other website but it gives me a 404 error
You need to now manually search there. Apparently all the old links are down because Strategy updated the site and was told its best for security or something. I sure hope he finds a way to undo this. Because its completely broken on my end this way.

EDIT: he fixed it apparently, the normal "direct links" should work again, though the old wpfb dl ones will not unfortunately. Still all the files are there...
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Leo(T.C.K.) wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:58 pm I know that many of you guys viewed this but do yo have any opibions on those maps?
I was doing other things, I'll put here some feed-back as long as I will check them... one by one.
So far... I liked "Zeto_Old", whatever, the other one from package is incomplete in pathing and has paths that are pointless, I revised a bit "Zeto_Old" and... it looks like a good map for people with advanced skill - not really pro. If you play map with 11 Bots and a few enhancements (mutators) you can have good games. Sometimes I don't aim exactly the enemy, I'm just firing gun where I hear steps. Kills are going 50-50, 50% kills in direct view, 50% kills without to see enemy - it's a lot of fun.
I did not see visual glitches that might be disturbing, but clearly I added paths at all items and reducing spam paths from several spots + destroying bugged jumpers. When all it's clear, Bot enhanced with a "SmartStockBots" mutator is getting closer to a human opponent, not all the time but pretty challenging, accurate Moves, sudden dodging, unexpected dodgy translocations and all that combat style.
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Interesting that you liked the older version of Zeto. I suppose it does have a different flow than the later version(s) - including the released one.

Its also ironic because usually the older maps have worse pathing but in this case its the other way around apparently.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

The flow depends on "players" number. Of course... I have to admit that I'm a bitch... I'm playing map a few times for figuring moves, and later I'm figuring a place where I can smack down a large number of "Players" until weapon is discharged or I'm losing health slowly.
Xan gave me a bit of headaches (in first games) but... later I was showing him who is the Boss in that stage. This is a type of UE1 map that looks hard but it's not, it's just a large amount of fun. Usually after picking up the right weapon I go to guard a spot with Inventory that is interesting for Bots, if Bot steps in area it will have a problem with my projectiles, many maps are having such options - they only need to be discovered.
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

I will still upload the rest of deathmatch map conversions btw (just two-three maps basically).

The focus is actually converting every 221 beta map. The 222 stuff is not focus unless its to compare/provide that version too. Sometimes I might convert a map that was only in 222 if its significant enough. But I'm not doing all 222 maps.

What I'll upload still is DM-Fetid from both 221 and 222 conversions (its really unique especially the older version), Grinder (also unique both in texturing evolution and inventory placement) and also I included as extra Barricade from 222 and also a restored version with (un)deleted lights and there were plenty.

Barricade I'm including because it kind of replaced Dm Keep in the later versions and thus I feel like it should be included and is different enough from the release to warrant this.

But with those maps all the DM maps included with this particular 221 version have been converted.

The only thing left are domination maps as there are still some. Not completely unique maps but unique versions yes.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

DM-UTConveyorOld report.
The map geometry is good, but it really has problems with navigation. I noticed that if the problem of navigation is solved, it turns out to be another good piece. Greetings for this one.
Discussions about changes that improve the activity of A.I. probably do not match the topic subject right now.

Edit: LOL - Dropping this.
After joining with Bots I see invisible floors. Some spot was solved by 469b RC2 but... not everything - the bug was moved elsewhere. I'm floating in air... several surfaces are flickering.
Cv_Old.png
I see ugly BSPCuts, it seems too complex for UE1. Goblin has its flaws... concerning aligning at grid that is not really aligned by itself.