Dead Eye Canyon

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
browndl
Skilled

Dead Eye Canyon

Post by browndl »

I had to revisit the canyon western theme. I think this one makes for a much different gameplay than it predecessors, DM-LongForgotten and CTF-CanyonWars.
As always feedback is welcome.

https://www.ut99maps.net/maps/sniper/DeadEyeCanyon.zip

Have a great day all.

EDIT: Changed download link to UT99 Maps
Last edited by browndl on Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UT99 DM-DSKilnWorks3993:DM-DSWashNDry:DM-DSRedDawn:DM-DSBacktoSchool:DM-DSTowerBridge:DM-DSDeadeyeCanyon:DM-DSSectionn8Refinery:DM-DeckardsRevenge:DM-DSStudio:DM-SniperTown:DM-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-Wastelands:DM-TurboGen23:DM-LongForgotten:DOM-Dockside:CTF-enMakhana:CTF-UrbanSniper:CTF-CanyonWars:CTF-DSTowerBridge Unreal Badlands CiderTown UT99 Infiltration DM-INF-MagnumDocksDeluxe:DM-INF-MagnumDocks2:DM-INF-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-INF-CityStorageLotA][:DM-INF-ColumbianDrugLord:EAS-INF-DS-RailBridge:DM-INF-ACityBlock:CTF-INF-SavageKillersHeadQuarters:CTF-INF-Capital:CTF-INF-ComplexB UT2003/04 DM-PineValley:DM-Koltoff:CTF-PawnsKeep:CTF-Ardimus Rainbow Six RavenShield AlleyStrike
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: Dead Eye Canyon

Post by EvilGrins »

1. What gun is that?

2. How's the bot pathing?
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

I like the reworking of the Canyon theme - adding the building types you have certainly fits in well with the overall theme.

I haven't played the map yet but just wandered around it - looks good for stalking sniper type gameplay - plenty of cover in buildings and elsewhere, good access all round especially using the translocator. Good ambiance with plenty of environmental sound.

Perhaps a dusk or night version would be good as well?

A couple of things from MapGarbage

Code: Select all

PotentialAITrap: PathNode158 has at least one path for reaching at it, but zero paths for going out.
This is quite important as it is at the start of a plank 'bridge' - pull the node back slightly from the wooden plank and rebuild paths to get in/out connections.

NoIncomingPath: PathNode0 is not having incoming connections.
Move the node slightly to top of bank to get incoming connections.

From MapChecker

MapChecker: Triggers with default Tag possible not used:
MapChecker: SpecialEvent5 Tag = SpecialEvent
MapChecker: Trigger without Event and Message possible not used:
MapChecker: Trigger7
I did check Trigger7 and it didn't appear to be linked to anything.

You haven't added your name nor the title of the map in LevelInfo - not important as those are on the screenshot - just means they can't be picked up by anything (like UnrealArchive) that uses LevelInfo as a source of information about the map.

I am also interested in the rifle you used in the video.
browndl
Skilled

Post by browndl »

EvilGrins wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:01 pm 1. What gun is that?

2. How's the bot pathing?
What gun is that?
A mod I cannot distribute. Sorry. I just use it to gage distance for mapping for specific clans. I really should have disabled the mod to run through it, wasn't thinking. All the normal weapons and pickups are available without the mod.

How's the bot pathing?
I went through it with map checker and map garbage and moved spots until I got no further reports concerning nav points.   
Auto merged new post submitted 7 minutes later
OjitroC wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:24 pm I like the reworking of the Canyon theme - adding the building types you have certainly fits in well with the overall theme.

I haven't played the map yet but just wandered around it - looks good for stalking sniper type gameplay - plenty of cover in buildings and elsewhere, good access all round especially using the translocator. Good ambiance with plenty of environmental sound.

Perhaps a dusk or night version would be good as well?

A couple of things from MapGarbage

PotentialAITrap: PathNode158 has at least one path for reaching at it, but zero paths for going out.
This is quite important as it is at the start of a plank 'bridge' - pull the node back slightly from the wooden plank and rebuild paths to get in/out connections.

NoIncomingPath: PathNode0 is not having incoming connections.
Move the node slightly to top of bank to get incoming connections.

From MapChecker

MapChecker: Triggers with default Tag possible not used:
MapChecker: SpecialEvent5 Tag = SpecialEvent
MapChecker: Trigger without Event and Message possible not used:
MapChecker: Trigger7
I did check Trigger7 and it didn't appear to be linked to anything.

You haven't added your name nor the title of the map in LevelInfo - not important as those are on the screenshot - just means they can't be picked up by anything (like UnrealArchive) that uses LevelInfo as a source of information about the map.

I am also interested in the rifle you used in the video.
Wasn't aware of the Unreal Archive info, good to know. I left the info off intentionally as they covered the info on the screenshot.
Somehow special event 5 and trigger 7 got disconnected. Just plays a bird cawing sound, don't think it will hinder play.

I appreciate the thorough check. I also appreciate your taking a look at the map.

I spectated the bots running several matches and played several matches. They seemed to go everywhere I pathed, even running down the tram wire to get the damage amp. I hope it brings some fun games for everyone.
UT99 DM-DSKilnWorks3993:DM-DSWashNDry:DM-DSRedDawn:DM-DSBacktoSchool:DM-DSTowerBridge:DM-DSDeadeyeCanyon:DM-DSSectionn8Refinery:DM-DeckardsRevenge:DM-DSStudio:DM-SniperTown:DM-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-Wastelands:DM-TurboGen23:DM-LongForgotten:DOM-Dockside:CTF-enMakhana:CTF-UrbanSniper:CTF-CanyonWars:CTF-DSTowerBridge Unreal Badlands CiderTown UT99 Infiltration DM-INF-MagnumDocksDeluxe:DM-INF-MagnumDocks2:DM-INF-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-INF-CityStorageLotA][:DM-INF-ColumbianDrugLord:EAS-INF-DS-RailBridge:DM-INF-ACityBlock:CTF-INF-SavageKillersHeadQuarters:CTF-INF-Capital:CTF-INF-ComplexB UT2003/04 DM-PineValley:DM-Koltoff:CTF-PawnsKeep:CTF-Ardimus Rainbow Six RavenShield AlleyStrike
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Just played for over 40 minutes - as with all your maps, it is certainly good fun - great for stalking 'things' - still have more to explore :gj:
browndl
Skilled

Post by browndl »

OjitroC wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:32 pm Just played for over 40 minutes - as with all your maps, it is certainly good fun - great for stalking 'things' - still have more to explore :gj:
Now that is great news! That is my only intention or goal in mapping, is to make maps that are fun to play, so people keep playing UT99. Thanks for the feedback.
jmartin
Skilled

Post by jmartin »

I like the music, very appropriate.
Nice work. :tu:
BTW, what do you guys recommend as a desktop recorder, because all the ones I've tried are not very good. Thanks.
browndl
Skilled

Post by browndl »

jmartin wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:20 pm I like the music, very appropriate.
Nice work. :tu:
BTW, what do you guys recommend as a desktop recorder, because all the ones I've tried are not very good. Thanks.
Thanks for the response.
I use OBS Studio for recording.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

This map should be some MH type that uses swarms-lots of spawns with no place to cover your back.

It could be setup while shooting a swarm that trying to stay safe have a trigger you are standing in, that spawns more behind you,,,no safe place.

I did not play this but it seems like a really good map for that, like a serious sam feel to it, to unlock the exit.

Needs to be timed out so that only so many killed, then more spawns, like a counter that triggers the next swarm depending in what trigger you are standing in.
Binary Space Partitioning
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

browndl wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:47 pm I spectated the bots running several matches and played several matches. They seemed to go everywhere I pathed, even running down the tram wire to get the damage amp. I hope it brings some fun games for everyone.
Cough !?
Let's say that connection from PathNode158 to PathNode160 doesn't exist making all those "vials" not very desired from another place of map.
Some data... (all related to break-point PathNode158.

SniperRifle3: Route Not Found from PlayerStart1...
BulletBox6: Route Not Found from PlayerStart1...
BulletBox7: Route Not Found from PlayerStart1...
HealthVial17: Route Not Found from PlayerStart1...
HealthVial14: Route Not Found from PlayerStart1...
HealthVial18: Route Not Found from PlayerStart1...
HealthVial19: Route Not Found from PlayerStart1...
HealthVial20: Route Not Found from PlayerStart1...
HealthVial21: Route Not Found from PlayerStart1...
HealthVial22: Route Not Found from PlayerStart1...
HealthVial23: Route Not Found from PlayerStart1...
Other similar "NO ROUTE" from "PlayerStart2", "PlayerStart3", and so on...
In stage view...
Dsdeec.PNG
This subject has to be investigated in run-time because something there clearly doesn't look normal - probing a potential manual connection - Not a Recommended Connection ?

NodeA: Found PathNode158 selected and taken as first Node.
NodeB: Found PathNode160 selected and taken as second Node.
TraceTest: Positive FastTrace - PathNode158 PathNode160.
NormalTest: Route from PathNode158 to PathNode160 doesn't seem reachable.
FlightNoOptions: Route from PathNode158 to PathNode160 doesn't seem reachable.
Reach: Physics 1
ScriptLog: Route is OK from PathNode160 to PathNode158 having distance 317.704468 UU.
ScriptLog: Result returned Good at CollisionRadius 94 and CollisionHeight 108.
I'll be back after a run-time check...
Edit: Back... strange Goblin's activity... In run-time spot looks normal. If said Node 158 is moved at 3858,1293,946 and touching Node 160 a little bit, it will get fully connected and network is getting completely linked... without any debris ReachSpec.

ScanProcess: Total checks using DevPath = 2465.
Greetings: All 145 targets look reachable from every single PlayerStart.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

sektor2111 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:19 pm ... If said Node 158 is moved at 3858,1293,946 and touching Node 160 a little bit, it will get fully connected and network is getting completely linked...
Yeah, I mentioned that in an earlier post in this thread.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Health vials are always wanted in a map, sort of like shieldbelts. unlike health pack or the big one. great lures without giving away the farm.
Binary Space Partitioning
browndl
Skilled

Post by browndl »

Was able to play this map last night online and it was great fun. If you are interested the server is **{SFL}**SNIPERS FOR LIFE SKETCHPADS PLACE CAMPING/SNIPER SERVER. Nice group of people playing. It was fun.