DM-DSStudio

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
browndl
Skilled

DM-DSStudio

Post by browndl »

Well, I went and did it. I made my very first 'Giant Room" map. I have always hesitated to do so as the genre never really interested me and due to the fact that bots can't xloc like people. But they seem to be the desired arena today.
So, here it is, DarkSniper's "Artist Studio".

For strictly offline play It has bot support up to a certain height, from that point you can become a merciless sniper if you like, raining down death from above. The biggest thing is that all the bots should leave their spawn points.

(For those whose only pastime is to open maps in the editor and run scripts detailing all the unreachable paths... there are many in this map. And I KNOW IT. There is no need to tell me about it. As I said, the bots are purposefully pathed to a certain point.)

I am including a video and some screens. There will be some difference between the video and the screenshots as the video was made at an earlier iteration. But I think you can see enough bot action to decide to if you wish to download it or not.

The map is currently running on **{SFL}**SNIPERS FOR LIFE SKETCHPADS PLACE CAMPING/SNIPER SERVER. "Thanks to {SFL}Sketchpad for testing it out and running it on his server.

As always, I enjoy your feedback.

https://www.ut99maps.net/maps/sniper/DM-DSStudio.zip

DSStudio4.jpg
DSStudio3.jpg
DSStudio2.jpg
DSStudio1.jpg
Last edited by browndl on Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UT99 DM-DSKilnWorks3993:DM-DSWashNDry:DM-DSRedDawn:DM-DSBacktoSchool:DM-DSTowerBridge:DM-DSDeadeyeCanyon:DM-DSSectionn8Refinery:DM-DeckardsRevenge:DM-DSStudio:DM-SniperTown:DM-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-Wastelands:DM-TurboGen23:DM-LongForgotten:DOM-Dockside:CTF-enMakhana:CTF-UrbanSniper:CTF-CanyonWars:CTF-DSTowerBridge Unreal Badlands CiderTown UT99 Infiltration DM-INF-MagnumDocksDeluxe:DM-INF-MagnumDocks2:DM-INF-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-INF-CityStorageLotA][:DM-INF-ColumbianDrugLord:EAS-INF-DS-RailBridge:DM-INF-ACityBlock:CTF-INF-SavageKillersHeadQuarters:CTF-INF-Capital:CTF-INF-ComplexB UT2003/04 DM-PineValley:DM-Koltoff:CTF-PawnsKeep:CTF-Ardimus Rainbow Six RavenShield AlleyStrike
jmartin
Skilled

Re: DM-DSStudio

Post by jmartin »

Wow! pretty nice. I like all the unique objects.
Great textures, great lighting.
Well done! :tu:
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

A nice idea, well executed - I don't think an artist's studio has been done before - at least, I can't recall one. Well designed and laid out, clean and bright (as one would expect in an artist's studio, the lighting is done well), good colours and textures, love all the books and, of course, the artwork (so plenty to look at and admire - the paintings really do make it distinctive). Pretty easy to move around with the xloc, plenty of places to camp should one wish especially high up.

So, once again, another highly enjoyable (and unique) map :gj:

I wondered about the absence of sound but I suppose there is really no sound source in the studio (apart from the record player?) - also no windows so no outside 'noise'.

I did find that the lift behind the stand with the record player/records didn't really stay up long enough for me to get my bearings but probably with repeated plays one gets used to the orientation and the direction one needs to go in when at the top.

A small map compared to Lunic/Nix's interiors and Kylie's recent competition map but my view is that it certainly bears comparison with the best of the modern 'giant interior' maps for the overall design and for playability.
browndl
Skilled

Post by browndl »

OjitroC wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:05 pm I wondered about the absence of sound but I suppose there is really no sound source in the studio (apart from the record player?) - also no windows so no outside 'noise'.
Honestly I just couldn't figure out what sounds to include for all the reasons you mentioned. Thanks for your very encouraging words.

Also, thank you jmartin!
UT99 DM-DSKilnWorks3993:DM-DSWashNDry:DM-DSRedDawn:DM-DSBacktoSchool:DM-DSTowerBridge:DM-DSDeadeyeCanyon:DM-DSSectionn8Refinery:DM-DeckardsRevenge:DM-DSStudio:DM-SniperTown:DM-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-Wastelands:DM-TurboGen23:DM-LongForgotten:DOM-Dockside:CTF-enMakhana:CTF-UrbanSniper:CTF-CanyonWars:CTF-DSTowerBridge Unreal Badlands CiderTown UT99 Infiltration DM-INF-MagnumDocksDeluxe:DM-INF-MagnumDocks2:DM-INF-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-INF-CityStorageLotA][:DM-INF-ColumbianDrugLord:EAS-INF-DS-RailBridge:DM-INF-ACityBlock:CTF-INF-SavageKillersHeadQuarters:CTF-INF-Capital:CTF-INF-ComplexB UT2003/04 DM-PineValley:DM-Koltoff:CTF-PawnsKeep:CTF-Ardimus Rainbow Six RavenShield AlleyStrike
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

browndl wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:16 am Honestly I just couldn't figure out what sounds to include for all the reasons you mentioned. Thanks for your very encouraging words.
Playing the map again just now the only thing that I thought of was the fan - it is moving pretty slowly so there probably wouldn't be very much sound from the movement of the air though there may (or may not) be some noise from the motor. Still, not a big deal - certainly has no impact on the fun playing the map.
Hitman
Adept

Post by Hitman »

Looks great, I will add it to my sniper servers
browndl
Skilled

Post by browndl »

Hitman wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:41 am Looks great, I will add it to my sniper servers
Nice! I appreciate it.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

The thing about sound is, it subliminally lets you know where you are in the map. So it helps when you hear the sound and blasted someone for a kill, you can then feel the map for playing and go blast another LoLzz.

I never tried making one of these large mini maps, just seems so odd the fps don't drop to zero and BSP flashing all over the place. Glad you tried it, I was tempted once but still never tried and see how the hell they make these things.
Binary Space Partitioning
browndl
Skilled

Post by browndl »

Red_Fist wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:37 pm The thing about sound is, it subliminally lets you know where you are in the map. So it helps when you hear the sound and blasted someone for a kill, you can then feel the map for playing and go blast another LoLzz.

I never tried making one of these large mini maps, just seems so odd the fps don't drop to zero and BSP flashing all over the place. Glad you tried it, I was tempted once but still never tried and see how the hell they make these things.
Yeah, I typically like to put sounds in, just didn't feel right on this one. There are sounds on the lifts. This is my first large scale map and I was curious also about fps and flashing, but once I got into it its really about the same as mapping normal except there are much greater open spaces to deal with. I decided 512 units would equal foot and after that it was pretty basic.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Add a small desktop stereo to jump on. :noidea
Last edited by Red_Fist on Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Binary Space Partitioning
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

The song is... maybe normal... Okay, let's see what's up for a small feedback.
The map might be a clear example how to deal with sniping mods in UE1, there is space, there are some paths, it looks good... a good candidate for public sniper servers. However I would like to see all networking flaws happily developed by Epic mitigated in mapping process. VisibleTeleporter is a flawed class by default, in CTF-Face and DM-Deck16 mappers from EPIC did other "VisibleTeleporters" - not using said class more specific. When such a map is running in server, client player will have another teleporter object, probably placed in a different spot and attempting to deal with touching in it's own way - different from server, as result at a moment we might have a nice collision crash "ActorLineCheck" - because that function doesn't have a sanity check... or something else is going out of timing with server...
It happens
like this

Code: Select all

Critical: FCollisionHash::ActorLineCheck
Critical: CheckWithActors
Critical: ULevel::MultiLineCheck
Critical: ULevel::Trace
Critical: ULevel::FindSpot
Critical: ULevel::FarMoveActor
Critical: VisibleTeleporter1.Accept
Critical: UObject::ProcessEvent
Critical: (VisibleTeleporter DM-!!![SFC]PoolBillard.VisibleTeleporter14, Function Engine.Teleporter.Touch)
Critical: TouchTo
Critical: AActor::BeginTouch
Critical: ULevel::MoveActor
Critical: APawn::stepUp
Critical: APawn::physWalking
Critical: APawn::performPhysics
Critical: AActor::Tick
Critical: TickAllActors
Critical: ULevel::Tick
Critical: (NetMode=1)
Critical: TickLevel
Critical: UGameEngine::Tick
Critical: UXC_GameEngine::Tick
Critical: UpdateWorld
Critical: UXC_ServerCommandlet::Main
Exit: Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
Exit: Exiting.
Uninitialized: Name subsystem shut down
MapGarbage can solve these and then I'm using it any of such a situation - builder will set these as bNoDelete for preventing clients from recreating them and breaking their Navigation chain.