DS_Section 8 Refinery

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
browndl
Skilled

DS_Section 8 Refinery

Post by browndl »

Here it is. Section 8 Refinery

EDIT 9/14/2023
Uploading a new file. Original music file was somehow corrupted. The new file has a 'b suffix' at end as in DM-DS_Section8Refineryb.
My deepest apologies to all who downloaded and encountered errors, especially to those who uploaded the map to their servers.
(Special thanks to Sketchpad for assisting with the new music file)

https://www.ut99maps.net/maps/sniper/DS ... ineryb.zip

Come join the fun. Full bot support for offline play.
Section8_6.jpg
Section8_5.jpg
Section8_4.jpg
Section8_3.jpg
Section8_2.jpg
Section8_1.jpg
As always, comments welcome.   
Auto merged new post submitted 7 hours 24 minutes later
The map is currently running on **{SFL}**SNIPERS FOR LIFE SKETCHPADS PLACE CAMPING/SNIPER SERVER. Thanks to {SFL}Sketchpad for testing it out and running it on his server.
Last edited by browndl on Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
UT99 DM-DSKilnWorks3993:DM-DSWashNDry:DM-DSRedDawn:DM-DSBacktoSchool:DM-DSTowerBridge:DM-DSDeadeyeCanyon:DM-DSSectionn8Refinery:DM-DeckardsRevenge:DM-DSStudio:DM-SniperTown:DM-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-Wastelands:DM-TurboGen23:DM-LongForgotten:DOM-Dockside:CTF-enMakhana:CTF-UrbanSniper:CTF-CanyonWars:CTF-DSTowerBridge Unreal Badlands CiderTown UT99 Infiltration DM-INF-MagnumDocksDeluxe:DM-INF-MagnumDocks2:DM-INF-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-INF-CityStorageLotA][:DM-INF-ColumbianDrugLord:EAS-INF-DS-RailBridge:DM-INF-ACityBlock:CTF-INF-SavageKillersHeadQuarters:CTF-INF-Capital:CTF-INF-ComplexB UT2003/04 DM-PineValley:DM-Koltoff:CTF-PawnsKeep:CTF-Ardimus Rainbow Six RavenShield AlleyStrike
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: DS_Section 8 Refinery

Post by OjitroC »

Another very enjoyable map :gj:

Can be played in a number of different 'styles' - great for stalking or camping sniper, plenty of cover, easy to move around with the translocator plus the lifts.

As always, a nicely designed and unique space - much to explore - good attention to detail and good use of environmental sound to create a disused/deserted (and mysterious) refinery.

Joins DeckardsRevenge, Studio and DeadeyeCanyon in my Current folder containing the 20 or so maps that I am (and have been) playing regularly.
browndl
Skilled

Post by browndl »

OjitroC wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:20 pm Another very enjoyable map :gj:

Can be played in a number of different 'styles' - great for stalking or camping sniper, plenty of cover, easy to move around with the translocator plus the lifts.

As always, a nicely designed and unique space - much to explore - good attention to detail and good use of environmental sound to create a disused/deserted (and mysterious) refinery.

Joins DeckardsRevenge, Studio and DeadeyeCanyon in my Current folder containing the 20 or so maps that I am (and have been) playing regularly.
Thank you much for your very kind words. I am glad you are enjoying the maps.
UT99 DM-DSKilnWorks3993:DM-DSWashNDry:DM-DSRedDawn:DM-DSBacktoSchool:DM-DSTowerBridge:DM-DSDeadeyeCanyon:DM-DSSectionn8Refinery:DM-DeckardsRevenge:DM-DSStudio:DM-SniperTown:DM-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-Wastelands:DM-TurboGen23:DM-LongForgotten:DOM-Dockside:CTF-enMakhana:CTF-UrbanSniper:CTF-CanyonWars:CTF-DSTowerBridge Unreal Badlands CiderTown UT99 Infiltration DM-INF-MagnumDocksDeluxe:DM-INF-MagnumDocks2:DM-INF-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-INF-CityStorageLotA][:DM-INF-ColumbianDrugLord:EAS-INF-DS-RailBridge:DM-INF-ACityBlock:CTF-INF-SavageKillersHeadQuarters:CTF-INF-Capital:CTF-INF-ComplexB UT2003/04 DM-PineValley:DM-Koltoff:CTF-PawnsKeep:CTF-Ardimus Rainbow Six RavenShield AlleyStrike
UTPe
Masterful
Personal rank: Dude

Post by UTPe »

Hello DarkSniper,
as I wrote elsewhere, I like this map, most of all because of its oldchool sniper style.
anyway, I've a problem on server. after compressing map files and uploading them on redirect server, I can't download correctly package DS_Section8.umx.uz with ut99 client: the normal download doesn't work and the package is downloaded at low rate directly from game server (never seen this before). anyone had the same problem ?

PS:
may I eventually edit the map to remove music from it ? I would like to have this map on my server.

cheers,
Pietro
Personal map database: http://www.ut99maps.net

"These are the days that we will return to one day in the future only in memories." (The Midnight)
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

There is a problem with that music file. It does not play in the Editor nor does it play in-game (in 469d RC2, haven't tried 436) - from the UT log

Code: Select all

DevMusic: Prepare loading music: Music DS_Section8.Section8Refinery
DevMusic: Load music: Music DS_Section8.Section8Refinery
DevMusic: Failed loading music: Music DS_Section8.Section8Refinery
The track appears to be an .it but can't be exported as that - when exported as a .s3m or .ogg it plays OK in VLC though there does seem to be an odd 'passage' part of the way through which may suggest that it is corrupted in some way?
browndl
Skilled

Post by browndl »

Updated the original post with a new file. Thank you to everyone who pointed out the issue.
Nakron
Novice

Post by Nakron »

Oh this looks a very awesome map in the pics looks very large, looks like a great map to play with EXU mutator, i will definitely try this out with EXU.

:gj:
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

browndl wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:11 pm Full bot support for offline play.
Not full yet...
S8R_Incomplete.PNG
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

sektor2111 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:50 am
Not full yet...
The isolated spot on the left of the screenshot contains a sniper rifle and ammo - it's right at the top of the map and so hardly seems worthwhile to get bots to go right up there given that they are unlikely to camp and snipe from there as a human would. The Readme does say "I did not allow the bots to reach some of the higher rooftops so you could find a quiet place to sniper from should you so choose" and I would suggest that this spot would indeed be one of the spots that humans would wish to snipe from - it's certainly a spot that I try to reach and use to my advantage.

The spot on the right is odd as I used PathsChecker and it reported no failures in finding a route from any of the PlayerStarts to BulletBox11 and SniperRifle4 (the two items I checked in that area).
browndl
Skilled

Post by browndl »

sektor2111 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:50 am
Not full yet...
S8R_Incomplete.PNG
"Full bot support", as in the bots can use the lifts, traverse the map, exloc, shoot you, etc., as opposed to many sniper arena maps that have NO bot support. Full bot support does not have to mean complete map coverage. I did indeed express this in the readme.

I do not understand why you are referring to that section on the right, as the bots go there often to pick up the damage amp. Which raises a question I have asked you in the past, "Do you even play the maps you choose to criticize?"
So you know sektor2111, I have listened to and heard the things you have said before. I have even incorporated some of the tools you recommend into my pipeline to really try and make the bots more efficient. But this post presents no educational value for me. In fact it comes across as petty.   
Auto merged new post submitted 3 hours 48 minutes later
@sektor2111
If my response came across as rude or unnecessarily harsh I apologize. I did not intend for it to be so.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I don't see any harsh, just a discussion after examining a bit some report.
OjitroC wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:53 am it's right at the top of the map and so hardly seems worthwhile to get bots to go right up there
Eh,
- reminder #1 for everybody: Bot can reach everywhere in big parts if mapper wants that, hunting all sort of players - no rest here because it's not a bedroom;
- reminder #2 is that we have tools for adjusting anything hazardous if Goblin fails to see what is here and there.
OjitroC wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:53 am it reported no failures in finding a route from any of the PlayerStarts to BulletBox11 and SniperRifle4 (the two items I checked in that area).
Nope, it's BulletBox19 and 20 plus SniperRifle8...
browndl wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:11 pm "Do you even play the maps you choose to criticize?"
Usually these reports can be easily discovered BEFORE to see them later after playing - I prefer to save time instead of coming to the same point - where the report tells something like that, there are 99% chances to see exactly the same thing in game which confirms what scripted tester said, I already figured this X times.

But... these problems are None for me as long as I can solve them - if I will find map suitable for my needs - because it looks fine, such works worth attention.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

sektor2111 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:26 pm
OjitroC wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:53 am it's right at the top of the map and so hardly seems worthwhile to get bots to go right up there
Eh,
- reminder #1 for everybody: Bot can reach everywhere in big parts if mapper wants that, hunting all sort of players - no rest here because it's not a bedroom;
Yeah, I know, I didn't say it wasn't possible, I said that I didn't think it was worthwhile - the point is that the mapper in this particular case does not want bots to get up there (as is made clear in the Readme) so the fact that bots can't get up there is not an issue at all.

If you, I or anyone else want bots to get up there then we can path the map accordingly. It would involve getting bots to translocate or jump on to the roof of the T-shaped structure, then to jump and, at the highest point of the jump, toss the xloc disc on to the top roof (if using the standard xloc and a normal jump - with double jump and enhanced xloc it is, of course, much easier).
sektor2111 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:26 pm
OjitroC wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:53 am it reported no failures in finding a route from any of the PlayerStarts to BulletBox11 and SniperRifle4 (the two items I checked in that area).
Nope, it's BulletBox19 and 20 plus SniperRifle8...
Those items are in the first 'isolated spot', not in the second spot in your screenshot and it was this second spot that I was talking about (pointing out that PathsChecker reported that the items to which I referred could be accessed from all PlayerStarts).

Indeed one can check maps before playing using all the tools now available (thanks/kudos to you and Buggie) - before doing that though it is important to read the Readme that a mapper has provided so one gathers any useful info about the map that the mapper has thought fit to include. In the current case we know certain spots will not be fully pathed and so we can use this knowledge when examining and testing a map in the Editor, thus avoiding raising matters which are not issues at all.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Yep... I checked again... there are indeed some lifts (paths are drawn behind walls - I did not see them at first time), that's my fault, quitting immediately after report, the rest is normal and looks fine.
browndl
Skilled

Post by browndl »

OjitroC wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:03 pm
OjitroC wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:53 amwith double jump and enhanced xloc it is, of course, much easier
Is that a possibility? To force the bots to double jump? And what is this enhanced xloc of which you speak? I am always open to improving my pathing. I have listened to and attempted to implement much of what you and sektor2111 have advised. But I feel as if I can only get them to throw their trans only so far and no further.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

browndl wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:44 pm
OjitroC wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:53 amwith double jump and enhanced xloc it is, of course, much easier
Is that a possibility? To force the bots to double jump? And what is this enhanced xloc of which you speak? I am always open to improving my pathing. I have listened to and attempted to implement much of what you and sektor2111 have advised. But I feel as if I can only get them to throw their trans only so far and no further.
There's a double jump mutator but it seems that doesn't support bots. There may be others around that do. I use MatrixMoves - this has a higher than standard normal jump and a double jump (plus other 'cool' things) - only certain bot models can use it as it modifies the 'player' and requires setting up for each non-default model, which can take some time to do. So when I referred to double jump, I thought the basic double jump mutator worked for bots but it seems not (not that I have tried it, just going by the Readme).

Buggie has done some things with double jump and I seem to think that there is a double jump spot (or similar) in the XV CTF maps that Buggie has made - a PM to Buggie should provide more details on that.

The enhanced xloc is achieved by using the FNN (FragNewNet) set of mutators (fnn169 is the one I have) and just using the XLocMut that enables the user to set the XLocTossForce higher than normal - this increases the distance the xloc disc is tossed. I use this all the time (with the force set at 1450 - the default standard force is around 850) and it is very useful for the larger urban sniper maps in particular (playing locally of course). The FNN mutators are updated fairly regularly and posted on this forum by asosed.

There is a double jump mutator in the FFN set of mutators - a post from about a year ago from Buggie suggests that bots can't really double jump. The alternative, I suppose, is to use a modifed set of jump boots that have a higher than normal jump height - I think I have seen something like that but I can't remember the details now.